PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign DL Alan Branch, and release LB Deontae Skinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, nobody's using Kraft's new gal pal as an avatar?

Good lord, I didn't realize Branch was so massive. Between him and Wilfork, that's a lot of beef on the interior line.

Good lord, I didn't realize Branch was so massive. Between him and Wilfork, that's a lot of beef on the interior line.
Branch is indeed huge. BTW, unlike Ayers and Casillas, Branch is signed through 2016. If he performs, we have a fine addition. We would have Wilfork, Siliga, Branch, Chris Jones and Walker inside for the playoffs and going into 2015. That's a pretty good 2-year conversion project.

Branch is indeed huge. BTW, unlike Ayers and Casillas, Branch is signed through 2016. If he performs, we have a fine addition. We would have Wilfork, Siliga, Branch, Chris Jones and Walker inside for the playoffs and going into 2015. That's a pretty good 2-year conversion project.

I hadn't seen that Branch was signed through 2016. Do you have a link? Everything I'd heard was that it was a 1 year contract, and that's what Spotrac lists. Branch had previously signed a 3 year extension through 2016 with Buffalo last November ($3.1M signing bonus), but that was voided when the Bills cut him after his DUI.

Last edited:
I hadn't seen that Branch was signed through 2016. Do you have a link? Everything I'd heard was that it was a 1 year contract, and that's what Spotrac lists. Branch had previously signed a 3 year extension through 2016 with Buffalo last November ($3.1M signing bonus), but that was voided when the Bills cut him after his DUI.
My bad. You are correct, it is a one-year contract. I used Rotoworld which still has the longer contract listed as the current contract. Upon further review, others indicated a 1-year contract.

If I promise to post a bit less, will you feel rested?

You're one of the few people who keep me coming back here, not that such a disclosure will earn you many points around here. Heavier use of the ignore button on my part will tighten things up a bit.

"This team is such a tight-knit and family-oriented one that it wasn’t a big transition at all. There’s guys the first day that were telling me to come hang out with them or to go have dinner at their families’ house. It’s definitely a good situation. From Tom all the way to practice squad players, everybody’s talking it up with me and I’m enjoying it.”

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/branch-definitely-good-situation-patriots

@jeffphowe
Alan Branch's one-year deal with the Pats is worth a prorated portion of $855,000 w/ a minimum salary benefit cap hit of $570k. No bonuses.

I still would've activated Zach Moore instead of Branch & his 12 snaps.

Alan Branch is a first round type talent in a mammoth body. One of the items on BB menu of "things to do" is to draft a follow-on for Vince Wilfork as Vince ages.

The need to do that may have disappeared. Branch at 29 in his Prime, can be the fully trained understudy. Together with able but not a star, Sealver Siliga, the interior Heavy DT position is full up.

The penetrating DT position appears to be in fine shape with Chis Jones and Dom Easley, too.

The DEs are less certain with Chandler Jones and Rob NInkovrabel. The backups Buchanan, and Moore may or may not develop, which is the potential weakness. Another top quality DE draft pick would be indicated.

I just can't wait for Siliga to return from retroactive injured reserve.

Alan Branch is a first round type talent in a mammoth body. One of the items on BB menu of "things to do" is to draft a follow-on for Vince Wilfork as Vince ages.

The need to do that may have disappeared. Branch at 29 in his Prime, can be the fully trained understudy. Together with able but not a star, Sealver Siliga, the interior Heavy DT position is full up.

The penetrating DT position appears to be in fine shape with Chis Jones and Dom Easley, too.

The DEs are less certain with Chandler Jones and Rob NInkovrabel. The backups Buchanan, and Moore may or may not develop, which is the potential weakness. Another top quality DE draft pick would be indicated.

I still would like to see another bigger body NT type drafted or brought in to help to start take over Vince's role. While Siliga is a nice guy to have and could very well be a building block for the future, I still think that we can hit on a first/second round replacement for Wilfork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes