PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots offered Mankins Top 3 Guard Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it about Mankins' play on the field that is not Pro-Bowl/All-Pro level/Top 5 level?

Mankins propensity to miss guys to his right coming through the A gap, which is part of his responsibility. Ever since 2007, it's been a major issue for him.

Mankins got to the good level and has kinda plateaued. He's never made the jump to the elite consistency level. His run-blocking and pass blocking haven't been as consistent as they should be for a Top 3/ ELITE Guard. He also takes too many penalties.

When a team leaks details of their offers to Breer, they, IMO, are negotiating through the media.

How do we know that the TEAM leaked the details to Breer? Because he said so? Not sure where you've been, Miquel, but Breer hasn't been "in the know" for the Pats for quite some time and he's written more than a few articles that have caused many to question his veracity.

Breer has used the term "league source" which I am presuming to be someone within the Patriots front office.

So it's your assumption that it's someone in the Pats front office. You know what they say about assumptions.

Mankins propensity to miss guys to his right coming through the A gap, which is part of his responsibility. Ever since 2007, it's been a major issue for him.

Mankins got to the good level and has kinda plateaued. He's never made the jump to the elite consistency level. His run-blocking and pass blocking haven't been as consistent as they should be for a Top 3/ ELITE Guard. He also takes too many penalties.
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and give reasons to back it up, and I think it would be pointless to argue 'top 10' vs 'top 5' G without exhaustuve film study, I disagree that he takes too many penalties.
Last year was more than normal with 8 penalties(th year before he had 2), but in 5 years he has 22 penalites and 7 holds. I dont think that is a big issue.
Evans has 19 total and 10 holds in one less season, appropriate since Mankins is now linked to Evans.

So it's your assumption that it's someone in the Pats front office. You know what they say about assumptions.

What kind of a league source would leak the contents of the Mankins contract offer to Breer, if not someone from the Patriots? That's a pretty reasonable assumption, as I see it...

What kind of a league source would leak the contents of the Mankins contract offer to Breer, if not someone from the Patriots? That's a pretty reasonable assumption, as I see it...

I can think of numerous other sources that could have leaked the contents of Mankins contract. Such as teams that had contemplated signing him prior to the draft. I feel confident in my belief that the agent talked to teams and told them what the Pats were offering.

Whether or not it's reasonable or not isn't the issue. It's still an assumption. As is pretty much everything that's been talked about, yet certain posters are acting as if there are certainties about the numbers and such.

The only certainty is that Mankins made a public claim that the Pats lied to him when they said they would "take care of him" this year. And we know that the Pats have attempted to do just that. But that is all we know.

Hey, Miguel hasnt gotten back to me, can you show me the article that says this? It isnt the Breer article from this week.

jackson:
8/21/2008: Signed a six-year, $44.805 million contract. The deal contains $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11.395 million signing bonus. Another $4.495 million is available through incentives. He must average 1,200 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving over the first four years to void the final two seasons on his contract. 2010: $6.105 million, 2011: $7.2 million, 2012-2013: $7 million (Voidable Years), 2014: Free Agent

he's currently about 100 yards short of the receiving yards --- not sure how a 2011 stoppage would figure in.

I like jackson, but I really have no idea if he can block, I don't believe we can trade mankins when he hasn't signed, and 6-7m is a little steep for a rb.

Jackson has been THE rams for the past several years and has had some injuries recently.....there probably is only so much tread left on those tires.....Mankins and maroney is too much..

Smells like cow poop. Was it spoon fed to you?

For the record it's pretty clear most of Breer's information is coming from Mankins agent.

In addition, agents are regularly referred to as "league sources" because they are governed by the NFLPA and they routinely have access to contract details. League sources are also often affiliated with the management council, who review and approve all deals and whom teams regularly run terms by to make sure they will pass muster. There are lots of people working for the NFL who want to advance either at the league level or with an organization. You know what they say, knowledge is power. Mediots often provide quid pro quo for the information they get leaked by name dropping a guy as an up and coming league/FO talent...

It's highly likely that each version of any deal the Pats offered to Mankins was first vetted with the management council to insure it was in compliance with the current CBA. That individual wouldn't necessarily know they were tacking that deal on to an RFA season, if in fact they were.

Most of us watched Mankins lay an egg in SB42. Teams seems to have taken that mentality against him from thereonin. It's hardly a new or topical point of discussion.

Guess you haven't been watching the line play the last 2 years. There are plenty of threads on the subject.. you might want to go read them..

I was responding to another poster who pointed out that Mankins was luckily drafted earlier than projected by the premier franchise in football, who happened to have a stellar passing game and QB. That's all. I think it's a solid argument to say that were he drafted by a team in the top of the 2nd round instead (a struggling team, no doubt) he would probably not be in the position he is.
I editted this because the quoted part included the post i was respoding to as part of mine.
What does what may have happened if another team drafted him have to do with anything?
Are you trying to say he owes something to the Patriots for drafting him instead of letting him fall to the 2nd? Thats silly IMO.

Guess you haven't been watching the line play the last 2 years. There are plenty of threads on the subject.. you might want to go read them..
The line has been a very good OL. You dont need to disparage the line to support your position that Mankins is top 10 and not top 5.
Whether anyone agrees or not isn't real relevant, because no one on this board has done enough film study of him, much less the other 9 out of that top 10 to reasonably rank him fairly.
Personally, I would say you are underrating him, but you are as entitled to your opinion as anyone and it is as valid as anyone elses, if, as you did, you can support it.
Box of Rocks may have a more informed opinion, because he breaks down every play, so he has actually seen what Mankins does on all of those plays instead of getting a general impression. But I dont know anyone else has done so.
My point being, its not really necessary to sink to the level of the responses you get to defend your opinion.

Is there anybody we have on staff that we can say with the utmost certainty are better all around guards than Mankins?

Is there anybody we have on staff that we can say with the utmost certainty are better all around guards than Mankins?
Mankins is our best G, I dont think anyone would disagree. Your point is........................

Mankins is our best G, I dont think anyone would disagree. Your point is........................

'Twas a general question for my amusement. And you'd be surprised at how many people would disagree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back