PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots new OC - Alex Van Pelt

Never a dull moment with this Team.

The more you hear, the better the hiring gets. I will say he's a little old for having only called plays once in his life, after the previous OC was fired. But he has a lot of experience. He's seen a thing or two and isn't a slave to any philosophy. ****erson apparently exclusively uses zone blocking, so I'm a little nervous about that.
Apparently he’s capable of calling plays - he has called them in Cleveland sparingly and did it for their wild card game a couple years ago when Stefanski was sick.

I think Van Pelt is fine. They absolutely needed an experienced senior calm hand to help Mayo out. Someone who would not undermine him and has a good relationship with front office.
This team is going to be bad this year no matter who they hired.
Bill left this team in disastrous shape. Now Van Pelt has to clean up the mess.
No elite experienced OC was coming here.
I think we should give the guy a chance.
I did not want Caley

I don’t have a problem with this hire. He’s got plenty of experience in successful offenses, and it means they are dropping the E-P offensive system, and Van Pelt brings plenty of West Coast experience, and the variations of it run by McVay and Shanahan.. I welcome the change of system, and a new young QB running it.

If they draft wisely, I understand that there will be quality OT's (LT and RT) in rounds 2 to 4 (but they'll also need a solid OL Coach(s)). I also agree about acquiring a legit WR in FA (hopefully Higgins or Pittman Jr. if they're not tagged). I don't want a 29 or 30 year old Calvin Ridley or the like. Man, we do have so many needs (including defense), but we'll just have to build an off-season at a time while hopefully continually improving.
Ridley wouldn’t be the worst, he is a little older but has missed multiple years so less tread on his tires. Would be cheaper. But he’s not my first choice. At the end of the day, the OL is the most important thing. If they can get a decent OL going, an okay veteran QB, and one of the top TEs in free agency (Henry returning would probably be fine), it’s something. The WR situation as presently constituted is not an abject disaster, especially if Bourne is able to return for low money and get healthy. Lots of good WRs in the draft to take fliers on. Pop was a 6th rounder. They are not as hard to get as they used to be and this year is a good class.

What reset? It's still the same people who were here last year, except for a couple of retreads they got dumpster-diving.
I don't think it matters who they picked for any position; you'd be *****ing. Why don't we give the new regime some time to see how they do?

Never even heard rumor that they had interviewed him prior to this announcement.
Apparently they interviewed him this morning and hired him immediately.

I think Van Pelt is fine. They absolutely needed an experienced senior calm hand to help Mayo out. Someone who would not undermine him and has a good relationship with front office.
This team is going to be bad this year no matter who they hired.
Bill left this team in disastrous shape. Now Van Pelt has to clean up the mess.
No elite experienced OC was coming here.
I think we should give the guy a chance.
I did not want Caley
Posters would be *****ing if they went with Caley, for that matter no matter who they picked they be some *****ing.

Apparently they interviewed him this morning and hired him immediately.
Our pseudo GM Wolf was with him in GB and Cle. They know each other and probably had previous conversations….speculation.

Reasons I like the hire/process:

1. Absolutely no one was expecting this. While everyone was busy complaining about lack of action and how nobody wanted to take the job, Mayo was being patient and working it. Good job remaining focused Jerod.

2. Mayo targeted guys that have similar philosophies to his own, that can all get along, and is obviously not looking for 'yes' men. So far, he's living up to his words.

3. Mayo said he'd hire the best people for the job and would listen to others perspectives regardless of age/color. He's living up to his word.

4. I especially like the total lack of leaks regarding this hire. That's a great sign.

5. Van Pelt has a lot of connections and can fill out his staff from various teams. This should happen fast.

6. Absolutely love the change in direction from mod. E-P to mod. WC. This should make it easier for QB and receivers to get on same page. Offense is a total redo in personnel anyway, so now we know who to target in FAcy/draft.

7. Thrilled that no Josh McDaniels, which means Mac is 100% out.

8. Mayo is keeping the strength of the team, the defense, the same by promoting Covington. Smart!

9. ST hire is unknown but just ridding us of Achord/Judge is a win-win.

This process has the feel of a private corporation approach instead of 'good ol boys,' 'friends/family' ******** approach. I like it.

19a54m.gif

What reset? It's still the same people who were here last year, except for a couple of retreads they got dumpster-diving.
Oh Tommy, Tommy. Looks like another one of your predictions is going down in flames. Lol

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back