PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots new OC - Alex Van Pelt

Actually they have the cap space but "only" 7 draft picks (1 thru 5 and 2 seventh rounders), the least since 2017. Often with trades, which they may still make they end up w 10 picks.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm
That is correct. The key factor here is that the Patriots take the 3rd pick in each round, the best since BB became the HC. I expect to see two or three compensatory draft picks with the wholesale overhaul of the offense and the loss of FAs like Henry, Brown, Dugger, and a couple of others. They should pay Dugger, but again, they need cap space to attract prominent FAs on offense.

The critical point for those who obsess that the new OC has to manage the existing offense is that the re-tool will be fast and significant. My guess is that we'll be looking at seven new starters on offense at the 2024 opening game. The only four I'd keep are Andrews, Strange, Stevenson, and Bourne. That group might include Onwenu, but it's unclear they'll match the market in this re-building year.

I hope they keep Zeke and that we get to see a healthy JJSS from the beginning of training camp. They might be able to keep Hunter Henry depending on the market, but there is a deep TE FA and draft group to choose from for less of a cap hit.

My guess is The Patriots have three new starting linemen, a new QB, two new starting wideouts, and a new TE. That is the test of the new coaching staff and front office. How do they handle this opportunity to remake the offense?

That is correct. The key factor here is that the Patriots take the 3rd pick in each round, the best since BB became the HC.
They have the second pick in the second round.

That is correct. The key factor here is that the Patriots take the 3rd pick in each round, the best since BB became the HC. I expect to see two or three compensatory draft picks with the wholesale overhaul of the offense and the loss of FAs like Henry, Brown, Dugger, and a couple of others. They should pay Dugger, but again, they need cap space to attract prominent FAs on offense.

The critical point for those who obsess that the new OC has to manage the existing offense is that the re-tool will be fast and significant. My guess is that we'll be looking at seven new starters on offense at the 2024 opening game. The only four I'd keep are Andrews, Strange, Stevenson, and Bourne. That group might include Onwenu, but it's unclear they'll match the market in this re-building year.

I hope they keep Zeke and that we get to see a healthy JJSS from the beginning of training camp. They might be able to keep Hunter Henry depending on the market, but there is a deep TE FA and draft group to choose from for less of a cap hit.

My guess is The Patriots have three new starting linemen, a new QB, two new starting wideouts, and a new TE. That is the test of the new coaching staff and front office. How do they handle this opportunity to remake the offense?
Those compensatory picks would be in 2025 and with all the cap space this year, they likely will be signing lots of FAs and I see those offsetting any loss of FAs leading to few if any comp picks..

Yeah I just learned that this year too. If teams are tied they rotate order each round.
Hopefully there is a player that the Commanders really really like in the 2nd round and we can get payback.

Seems wrong that we pick after them considering we have the same record and lost to them head to head.

Don't they alternate between 3rd and second each round? Also, no compensatory picks this year.
It’s a three team rotation, with the Cardinals included too.

First round: 3rd
Second round: 2nd
Third round: 4th
Fourth round: 3rd
Fifth round: 2nd
Sixth round: 4th
Seventh round: 3rd (traded away)

It’s a three team rotation, with the Cardinals included too.

First round: 3rd
Second round: 2nd
Third round: 4th
Fourth round: 3rd
Fifth round: 2nd
Sixth round: 4th
Seventh round: 3rd (traded away)
Pats have CHI 7th (228)

would've just preferred McDaniels....

But willing to give him a chance. most of the coaching hires this off-season have been pretty underwhelming. But i'm willing to give everyone a chance.

does kind of lend credence to the reporting that the OC job here in new england is not very attractive. more surprised it wasnt Caley

How did that happen?
A newish rule that has teams that are tied in record pick higher in the next round. Washington and AZ have the same record as the Pats so Wash picks second in the first round, NE second in the second, AZ second in the third and so on.

From Lazar after reviewing AvP offensive schemes:

"Given the issues Cleveland had adapting the scheme for Watson, my guess is the Patriots would favor Drake Maye over Jayden Daniels in the draft. Maye fits the bill more as a good vertical thrower who can operate from moving pockets and under center, whereas Daniels is a spread quarterback who wants to impact the game with his mobility. Again, that doesn't mean they can't make it work with Daniels. Still, stylistically, this is more a Maye offensive system than a Daniels option-heavy while spreading the field offense.

The other key element is depth at the tight end since the Patriots will probably feature two tight end sets once again. In particular, an explosive big-play tight end in the Njoku mold would be great, such as Texas tight end Ja'tavion Sanders in the draft."

He also mentions needing athletic OTs but isn't against re-signing Onwenu. On WRs says:

"As for wide receivers, the Browns have recently favored more technically savvy route-runners such as Amari Cooper and Elijah Moore. With so many heavy personnel groupings on early downs, the Browns wideouts don't necessarily need to be big-time blockers. Instead, they search for one-on-one winners on the outside to win those matchups when they need to on third downs."

To me that's Higgins or Evans in FAcy. MHJ / Odunze / Thomas Jr. / Adonai Mitchell or Legette in the draft.

Targets:
QB - Maye (#3)
OT - Guyton or
WR - Adonai Mitchell / Xavier Legette
TE - Sanders (#68)

A newish rule that has teams that are tied in record pick higher in the next round. Washington and AZ have the same record as the Pats so Wash picks second in the first round, NE second in the second, AZ second in the third and so on.
i think it's dumb that the pats lost to wash and wash gets the better 1st rounder.

From Lazar after reviewing AvP offensive schemes:

"Given the issues Cleveland had adapting the scheme for Watson, my guess is the Patriots would favor Drake Maye over Jayden Daniels in the draft. Maye fits the bill more as a good vertical thrower who can operate from moving pockets and under center, whereas Daniels is a spread quarterback who wants to impact the game with his mobility. Again, that doesn't mean they can't make it work with Daniels. Still, stylistically, this is more a Maye offensive system than a Daniels option-heavy while spreading the field offense.

The other key element is depth at the tight end since the Patriots will probably feature two tight end sets once again. In particular, an explosive big-play tight end in the Njoku mold would be great, such as Texas tight end Ja'tavion Sanders in the draft."

He also mentions needing athletic OTs but isn't against re-signing Onwenu. On WRs says:

"As for wide receivers, the Browns have recently favored more technically savvy route-runners such as Amari Cooper and Elijah Moore. With so many heavy personnel groupings on early downs, the Browns wideouts don't necessarily need to be big-time blockers. Instead, they search for one-on-one winners on the outside to win those matchups when they need to on third downs."

To me that's Higgins or Evans in FAcy. MHJ / Odunze / Thomas Jr. / Adonai Mitchell or Legette in the draft.

Targets:
QB - Maye (#3)
OT - Guyton or
WR - Adonai Mitchell / Xavier Legette
TE - Sanders (#68)
Maye, Maccarhy, Nix, Rattler, Milton.

"New England could also target some Browns free agents on offense to fill out a Van Pelt-led depth chart...top swing tackle Geron Christian, who played most of the left tackle snaps for Cleveland in 2023"

This is the sort of FA move that could pay dividends. Pick-up a known quantity at a critical position at a reasonable rate, franchise Onwenu, so that the QB they draft doesn't get punch drunk before he learns the pro game, and the offense is a lot closer to functional. How they upgrade the receiver corps is another matter, but it would leave a lot of capital available if the LT was relatively affordable.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back