PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots new OC - Alex Van Pelt

Yeah, and depending on how it goes with McVay, he might be trying to line himself up for bigger things.
The Vay will be here forever my favorite HC in the current game.

"Alex Van Pelt was integrally in setting up, designing, and implementing the Browns' offense. He is an excellent quarterback tutor."

So the consensus is a qb pick at 3. Can someone give me observations on Alex Van Pelt offense, his tendencies and his motto? He is West Coast offense so it's a rythym offense with footwork at a premium, run first and Play action. Which qb would work better, Maye or Daniels?

Last edited:
So the consensus is a qb pick at 3. Can someone give me observations on Alex Van Pelt offense, his tendencies and his motto? He is West Coast offense so it's a rythym offense with footwork at a premium, run first and Play action. Which qb would work better, Maye or Daniels?

Or McCarthy…?

I'm going to post this tn with a few videos or ill never post again but Mayes footwork is pretty bad. That's easily the most concerning part of his game imo. He routinely goes into pressure sometimes even just one defender that can cause havoc and Maye will find himself near him.

As far as AVP - McCarthy, Rattler, Travis, Hartman and Nix. Not sure if I'll have Maye on my PTP board. Probably but we'll see. I think the best thing for Maye is a year away from the game. Love treatment with an understanding it'll be a bumpy road.

Fwiw Just got done grading about 130 prospects. Probably will do 40-50 more but that's it. Will post my link tn or tm morning.

I'm going to post this tn with a few videos or ill never post again but Mayes footwork is pretty bad. That's easily the most concerning part of his game imo. He routinely goes into pressure sometimes even just one defender that can cause havoc and Maye will find himself near him.

As far as AVP - McCarthy, Rattler, Travis, Hartman and Nix. Not sure if I'll have Maye on my PTP board. Probably but we'll see. I think the best thing for Maye is a year away from the game. Love treatment with an understanding it'll be a bumpy road.

Fwiw Just got done grading about 130 prospects. Probably will do 40-50 more but that's it. Will post my link tn or tm morning.

How was his footwork in '22? Lazar mentioned that along with the OC change, there was a change in how he was asked to do his drops, and that relearning may have lead to some of the uglyness in '23.

How was his footwork in '22? Lazar mentioned that along with the OC change, there was a change in how he was asked to do his drops, and that relearning may have lead to some of the uglyness in '23.
Not much better. If anything they tried to be more balanced this year but these have been there.

He's very much the definition of high rish/high reward - how much time do you have to develop and how good is your staff. Those will be the big questions a FO has to answer

Not much better. If anything they tried to be more balanced this year but these have been there.

He's very much the definition of high rish/high reward - how much time do you have to develop and how good is your staff. Those will be the big questions a FO has to answer

Hopefully, the team tells whomever they pick for QB will be told that this is a learning year regardless of what happens. Meaning that the QB will be the #2/#3 all year unless there is an injury or he flat out OUTPLAYS Brissett in practices.

The ONLY way I'd put whomever they pick, into the game is if the O-line has improved significantly. Meaning they're giving up less than 2 sacks a game. If the O-line is like the last 2 years, no way I'm putting my prize QB prospect in the game.

You think his footwork is terrible and bad habits die hard? Sorry but good coaching and a commitment from the player goes a long way to fixing all mechanics. Too much reward for the upside available. He is going to be coached, prepped and practing 10-12+ hours a day for the next 3+ years during the season and have every resource at his disposal during the offseason. I doubt anyone thinks he’s ready to start day 1 as it’s obvious Brissett will be number 1. But come on? There’s obviously a reason why the best scouts in the world consider him a top 3 or 4 prospect. Nobody is perfect but everything is considered when they make those projections including if they think the player is coach able or not.

8.4 big play completion rate with a low int rate on those plays spells success.

Dominated on 1st and 2nd down which bodes well for College players transitioning to the NFL.

Doesn’t fumble the ball.

Didn’t even use play action, you don’t think his game will improve dramatically when thats brought into the equation?

16 rushing tds in 2 seasons from a 6’4 athletic qb.

This team is in rebuild mode and we have the luxury of sitting this guy for a year. Mahomes, Rogers, Love etc. I have no problem with that although I suspect others might not.

I know you like other propects better and you are not ice cold or against drafting the kid. You are pointing out the footwork and decision making as well as the better served to sit a year part. I just feel it’s a little overblown is all.

Upside for me is too much too pass on if Daniels is gone. Would of loved to see him throw to Nabers and Thomas and behind a real oline.

Tbh, can’t even speak on McCarthy, all i know is what I saw from him which wasn’t much due to things out of his control. Hopefully your dead on if they take him or acquire through a small trade back.

Like Nix and Penix as well. Don’t see the two old men making it to 34 anymore though. Could of easily saw it a month ago until the Nix combine and Penix pro day.

You think his footwork is terrible and bad habits die hard? Sorry but good coaching and a commitment from the player goes a long way to fixing all mechanics.
I love when draft season rolls around. Remember I live here, you're just passing through. Thank you for reminding me coaching and commitment though. I picture you wearing an "I am tourist" T shirt rn.

Also i never said anything about old habits die hard, i love it when someone doesn't know what theyre talking about but decide to add in stuff.
Too much reward for the upside available.
I had him over Williams coming into the year. I'm a fan and have been saying it'll be hard to pass on upside. I think you forget I've been telling you that not the other way around. I'm simply responding to a question about specifics.
But come on? There’s obviously a reason why the best scouts in the world consider him a top 3 or 4 prospect.
You have absolutely no idea who the 150th best scout in the world nevermind the best. You have no idea what you're talking about here and i mean that with respect. Youve probably watched some highlights but youve been spoonfed by the media the last few months after barely knowing who Drake Maye was this time last year.

Maye will be drafted very high but he certainly wont be a 3 or 4 prospect on everyones board. There are teams that wont have a 1st on him. You really think teams have these media fantasy boards where they have them aligned Williams, Daniels, Maye - 1, 2, 3?

Again youve been listening to the media and watching highlights. Not studying these guys for 2 years. This years class is very good but overrated.
I know you like other propects better and you are not ice cold or against drafting the kid. You are pointing out the footwork and decision making as well as the better served to sit a year part. I just feel it’s a little overblown is all.
Its one of the reasons he should be sitting. If you think his poor footwork is overblown you're way off.
Upside for me is too much too pass on if Daniels is gone. Would of loved to see him throw to Nabers and Thomas and behind a real oline.
LSU had one of the better OL in the country. Top 10 in pass pro and was up for the best OL award in college.

god loves a trier though champ:)

The quality of the staff would seem to be a strong point with AVP and McAdoo.

Their strength is QB selection and development.

You think his footwork is terrible and bad habits die hard? Sorry but good coaching and a commitment from the player goes a long way to fixing all mechanics. Too much reward for the upside available. He is going to be coached, prepped and practing 10-12+ hours a day for the next 3+ years during the season and have every resource at his disposal during the offseason. I doubt anyone thinks he’s ready to start day 1 as it’s obvious Brissett will be number 1. But come on? There’s obviously a reason why the best scouts in the world consider him a top 3 or 4 prospect. Nobody is perfect but everything is considered when they make those projections including if they think the player is coach able or not.

8.4 big play completion rate with a low int rate on those plays spells success.

Dominated on 1st and 2nd down which bodes well for College players transitioning to the NFL.

Doesn’t fumble the ball.

Didn’t even use play action, you don’t think his game will improve dramatically when thats brought into the equation?

16 rushing tds in 2 seasons from a 6’4 athletic qb.

This team is in rebuild mode and we have the luxury of sitting this guy for a year. Mahomes, Rogers, Love etc. I have no problem with that although I suspect others might not.

Tbh, can’t even speak on McCarthy, all i know is what I saw from him which wasn’t much due to things out of his control. Hopefully your dead on if they take him or acquire through a small trade back.

Like Nix and Penix as well. Don’t see the two old men making it to 34 anymore though. Could of easily saw it a month ago until the Nix combine and Penix pro day.

A quick note about mechanics: they can't always be coached into a player or corrected out of a player's unconscious habits. A great example of this was Tim Tebow's horrid throwing motion. I remember him working out with the Patriots, his delivery looked textbook when he was deliberate and thinking about it. Then under live fire in a game he went right back to winding up from his hip (and everywhere in-between). Bad mechanics were his undoing as a pro. (He was drafted 25th overall in 2010 and STILL could be playing if he was any good.)

I'm going to post this tn with a few videos or ill never post again ....
Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back