PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots name Josh McDaniels offensive coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
or the fact that Brady has complete faith in him?

Obviously, bb was grooming Josh or he would have offered Charlie and Davidson much more to stay.

Me, I would have kept Charlie at $1M a year or so. But my view is short-sighted. If he stayed, Weis would have been leaving this year to be a head coach this year instead of last.

I liked Charlie's offense better, but that's me. Most important is to get the offense a stable healthy line. Dante is a magician, but the relativeness weakness of the line is getting very old. And yes I know that some here think that the 2003 and 2004 line were great, and that with the addition of Mankins and Kaycur we have one of the best lines in the league.

I think we're kidding ourselves. The current line will be better when healthy, and will protect Brady, but they will never be mistaken for a top OL.

It is difficult to decide where to put scarce resources (Day One picks and cap money). Another Day One OT is certainly on my wish list, along with a 4th or 5th round C/G (unless we have extended Koppen by then).

dhamz said:
So the fact that he already had the job in every aspect but the title last year and led the offense to 7th in the NFL overall and 2nd in passing isn't an argument in his favor?

Last edited:
I don't really think the OL is a strength or a weakness on this team. They are OK. A lot of their struggles get masked because Brady is so quick getting rid of the ball and he is far and away the NFL's best when it comes to standing there, knowing he is going to get leveled, and still making the perfect throw. If he weren't so good at both of those we'd see a lot more sacks and a lot more incomplete passes and picks that would be attributed to pass rush pressure.

I do think it would be interesting to see what Brady could do if he had a line that kept his uniform clean all game.

PatsWorldChamps said:
so where are your seats stud, 109?
:D Man I wish. Not that it's relevant to the thread, but I eventually burned out and decided to leave that cut-throat industry. I now enjoy a happier lifestyle, although with much less money (so far) hidden in a bunker at the end of the earth.
:bricks:

In my defense :), I am very bullish on next year! I just didn't like the statement.

mgteich said:
I think we're kidding ourselves. The current line will be better when healthy, and will protect Brady, but they will never be mistaken for a top OL.

I am really interested in this comment you made. I am not disputing it but
I would like to understand why it is true( if it is ).

Why can not this Oline
Light -- Mankins -- Koppen -- Neal ---Kaczur
be one of the best?

What changes would be needed personnel wise to make it One of the best?

Is it one or more Starters that aren't good enough?
Is it run Blocking that is the problem?
Is it pass protection that is the problem?
Is it a combination?
Is it the design of the run plays that is the problem?
Is it that the run plays are too predictable?
Is it that the Oline coaching is very good but not Top Oline quality?

If this Oline kept Brady to 24 sacks and kept pressure off him most of
the time and the run game yielded 4.2yds/carry and the Pats averaged
120yds rushing per game ... would it then be considered one of the best
Olines?

I am with you on this one.....

festy1986 said:
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=15204&pcid=47

IMO, this is just bad.

Yes Brady had a great year, but Brady is a product of just being good, if this guy was really any good (he was basically the OC this year) where was the holes for Dillon to run through? There was injuries but the guys could protect Brady you would think they could open up a hole or two.

EDIT

Just noticed this was already posted, sorry.

I am NOT thrilled by this move in the least. WHAT HAS MCDANIELS SHOWN IN THE LEAST THIS YEAR THAT WOULD GRANT HIM THIS TYPE OF PROMOTION? Brady is going to excel no matter what you do in many ways, that is why he is already a legend. However, the playcalling offensively this year was pretty awful and PREDICTABLE. I'll give Charlie Weis one thing....he was RARELY predictable.......(doing a failed double reverse on 3rd and 2 last year proved that ;)

Mcdaniels is a green QB coach...and is hardly what we need right now IMHO...and again hasn't proven anything that I can see....that he is the best man for the job....I know we had alot of injuries this year on offense, which was PART of the problem....but the BIGGER problem was not having a seasoned OC in there to run the offense........as a result, again, we were predictable....with no running game...and all the pressure on Brady to get it done (This is why he should have been the NFL MVP...but that is another story

Anyways....this seems to always be the BB way....promote from within.......Look what happened with Mangini....had a very questionable year...and gets promoted to HC!!!

In BB we trust........

THIS question alone???

fgssand said:
This question alone, from his press conference tells me he is ready and as stated and even more important BB knows he is ready:

: Is there a part of you - you’re 29 years old and you’re the offensive coordinator of the three-time Super Bowl champions - is there a part of you that is just amazed that this has happened so quickly?

JM: No. Every job that I have had here Bill has given me because he felt like I was ready for it. I trust his judgment and have faith in whatever he tells me that I’m ready to do. If he feels like I’m ready to do this, then I do too. I would say that I’m not really that amazed.

His response to this question doesn't sound like he IS READY........."Well I guess if Bill thinks I am ready....I guess I am"...........This guy is teeming with confidence!!!

There are those .....

fgssand said:
My feeling is I will defer judgement of a coaches readyness to a head coach with the success of Bill Belichick. To me it's like hearing the very successful owner of a sales company promote his star employee because he knows he is ready to sell.
If you belive that Bill Belichick is one of the greatest coaches of all time (I do), then you must feel he, better than most, is smart enough to know that Josh has what it takes.

There are those talking heads out there that are already saying that BB was mostly successful because of the "team" of himself, Weis, and Crennel.....and that so far, he hasn't looked the same without them. Adding McDaniels as OC does not make sense in alot of eyes. I will reserve judgement until next year, and hope BB is right.

This move is.....

BradyisGod said:
Eh. To each's own. It's great to have confidence in your boss. It's NOT great to defer to him all the time. This statement isn't any indication if he would do it at all, but as a coach, and now offensive coordinator, I would think he would want to promote HIMSELF as confident in his skills, and not kicking at the sand saying, "well, I must be ready since the man behind the curtain says I am".

Mostly a CONTROL move by BB IMHO.......if he brings in a big name offensive coordinator, there could be a POWER stuggle at times...and alot of conflict...bringing in McDaniels IMHO, allows BB to maintain control, and not have to deal with any "power" struggles ......what do you all think?

stcjones said:
There are those talking heads out there that are already saying that BB was mostly successful because of the "team" of himself, Weis, and Crennel.....and that so far, he hasn't looked the same without them. Adding McDaniels as OC does not make sense in alot of eyes. I will reserve judgement until next year, and hope BB is right.

It seems those talking heads discount the adversity BB faced and overcame this year as they came within a 5 turnover game of playing in the AFC Championship game.
It seems that by promoting from within it keeps the system in place. They system is BB's system, make no mistake about that.
I think having a healthy Tom Brady, Corey Dillon, receiving core and O'line is about all we need to be an extremely potent offensive machine able to win a game any way that is needed. I really do belive that is the situation we are lucky enough to have.

dhamz said:
So the fact that he already had the job in every aspect but the title last year and led the offense to 7th in the NFL overall and 2nd in passing isn't an argument in his favor?

I'll concede that, if indeed he was responsible for that.

Of course logically he must also take the blame for an unbalanced offense and play calling which led to our loss against the Broncos.

Personally, I would say his influence was less than a strong offensive co-ordinator would wield which pretty much led to Brady trying to do it all himself.

You'll note in seasons where Brady has gone pass happy, (2003 against the Jets and Steelers), the Patriots have not succeeded.

A strong coach would over ride a QBs natural tendency to do it all himself.

Last edited:
BradyisGod said:
I would actually look at this quote as a negative. If Bill feels this way, I do too? Seriously?

So, if Bill felt like sitting Brady, would Josh too? If he felt like going with a 2 man offensive line, would he too?

Some of the best things come out of disagreements. I'm afraid that A COMPLETE lack of confrontation may lead to some very bland offense.

Josh...you're getting paid. HAVE YOUR OWN OPINION!

(PS...I think most everything Belichick has to offer will be great, but I am a proponent of having different viewpoints)

And golly, what if Bill wants to do one thing and Tommy wants to do another?

How do you please everybody? Time to call in sick, Josh. :D

In Belichick we trust but I was not bowled over by McDaniels as the defacto OC this year. Granted they had injury issues and few experienced NFL OC's are as good as Weiss but still...

I thought the offensive schemes were not very good overall this season. If there is something special about McDaniels I have yet to see it. :confused:

I don't know why BB did not at least explore the possibility of looking outside. I mean Pees was an "outsider" Kent State coach/acquaintance who called BB asking a simple football question. Two years later he is the DC.

I hope McDaniles proves me wrong but I fear he'll get a pass because Brady will undoubtedly make him look good even with a sub par offensive game plan.

I appreciate......

fgssand said:
It seems those talking heads discount the adversity BB faced and overcame this year as they came within a 5 turnover game of playing in the AFC Championship game.
It seems that by promoting from within it keeps the system in place. They system is BB's system, make no mistake about that.
I think having a healthy Tom Brady, Corey Dillon, receiving core and O'line is about all we need to be an extremely potent offensive machine able to win a game any way that is needed. I really do belive that is the situation we are lucky enough to have.

appreciate your opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference