Patriots Ink First Round Pick Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Ink First Round Pick Chandler Jones
By: Ian Logue

It might only be May, but it appears the Patriots are taking care of business a little early this year after published reports revealed they've locked up first round pick Chandler Jones....

thanks to the new CBA draft picks now count against the 90 man limit even when they’re not signed, which appears to have given this year’s negotiations a little more urgency.

sorry Ian, but I think you missed the boat here. Whether they count against the 90 man limit or not isn't going to motivate me to make a bad deal if I am the patriots FO. I think you are identifying the wrong side that is better motivated.

What is driving the quick signings is that both sides know pretty much what their slot price is when going into negotiations due to the rookie salary limitations and the stable salary cap. When the salary cap was going up $10M a year everyone wanted a piece of that pie.

Previously agents and rookies were motivated to sit on contract negotiations to find out what the guy picked 1, 2, and 3 slots in front of him got and then ask for a few thousand less. Now they know what they should get so agents dont have any reason to dork around. They want their commission in the bank if they cant increase it by waiting.

The numbers are intriguing.. and make sense, I like this part of the new CBA...
I thought they could sign him for 5 years...????

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Jones ' salary cap charge will be between $1.5 million and $2.5 million per year over the course of the deal.

So to land a potential top young defender, and have it count less than 2 percent against the $120 million salary cap, represents great value.

As for the nitty-gritty of Jones' pact, it has a total value of $8.17 million. He gets a $4.38 million signing bonus up front and will earn base salaries of $390,000 in 2012, $761,522 in 2013, $1.13 million in 2014 and $1.5 million in 2015.

The base salaries in the first three years are fully guaranteed. A total of $752,284 is guaranteed in the final year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents