PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Hosting Florida DT Dominique Easley On Pre-Draft Visit

36530-Ryan-Stiles-love-it-gif-DG7r.gif

I still think DT is arguably the biggest need on defense since we do not know if we have any starters in the current group at this point. So I am up for them looking at him

Siliga showed enough over the back end of last season to start if Wilfork doesn't out perform him in camp. So there's 1 starter and a possibility of 3, depending on how much Kelly & Wilfork show in camp in regards to how well they've recovered.

But, more DTs would be nice and someone like Easley - if he can stay healthy would be a very nice addition. A double dip with Hageman/Tuitt & Easley would be very nice.

Siliga showed enough over the back end of last season to start if Wilfork doesn't out perform him in camp. So there's 1 starter and a possibility of 3, depending on how much Kelly & Wilfork show in camp in regards to how well they've recovered.

But, more DTs would be nice and someone like Easley - if he can stay healthy would be a very nice addition. A double dip with Hageman/Tuitt & Easley would be very nice.

Siliga is more of a 2 down DT. He may go on the field to start the game, but I don't know if he is a full time starter. And both Kelly and Wilfork are unknown because of injuries and age.

I still think DT is arguably the biggest need on defense since we do not know if we have any starters in the current group at this point. So I am up for them looking at him
Easley can play 3 or 5 tech but excels as a 3-tech. Prior to injury, he was playing like a top 10 talent and was absolutely unblockable, regularly drawing double teams. I love him only slightly less than Aaron Donald (who should be long gone by the time the Pats are up) in this draft. He can hold firm against the run and generate some serious pressure one gapping against the pass. His knee held up fine last season after coming off of a torn ACL. I'm hoping that both can hold up fine now that he'll be in the pro's.

Easley can play 3 or 5 tech but excels as a 3-tech. Prior to injury, he was playing like a top 10 talent and was absolutely unblockable, regularly drawing double teams. I love him only slightly less than Aaron Donald (who should be long gone by the time the Pats are up) in this draft. He can hold firm against the run and generate some serious pressure one gapping against the pass. His knee held up fine last season after coming off of a torn ACL. I'm hoping that both can hold up fine now that he'll be in the pro's.
I would love to see them draft Easley and Justin Ellis. That would give us the pieces to move on when Wilfork and Kelly are gone.

to injury, he was playing like a top 10 talent and was absolutely unblockable, regularly drawing double teams.

I've seen him get destroyed in the run game, and easily handled by 1 blocker.

So overrated.

So overrated.
I think he would be best in sub packages. I disagree that he is overrated if he is on the board at #62 that value would be off the charts.

I would love to hear his interview more than any other prospect. Only ASJ comes close.

Isn't he the guy who said he wasn't that into football?

I think he would be best in sub packages. I disagree that he is overrated if he is on the board at #62 that value would be off the charts.

Did you see the post that I quoted?

If you think he's only worth our 62nd pick, you are basically agreeing with me, that he is not "unblockable" and can be handled 1 on 1.

If he were truly unblockable and regularly commanded double teams, he would be our first round pick.

If you think he's only worth our 62nd pick, you are basically agreeing with me, that he is not "unblockable" and can be handled 1 on 1.

If he were truly unblockable and regularly commanded double teams, he would be our first round pick.

Your thoughts about him being "destroyed in the run game," "easily handled by one blocker," and "so overrated" do not even come remotely close to advocating him as our 2nd pick taken in the draft, which is what Brady 6 is suggesting.

Either you may have gotten too excited and over exaggerated a bit on how much you dislike him, or you're attempting to backtrack on your earlier comments. Either way, you certainly didn't sound like there was a fine line between our 1st round selection and our 2nd round selection. You made it out to seem like he was nothing more than a mid round pick at best.

So overrated.

I agree that he doesn't hold up well in the run game but that's not what you are drafting him for. You are drafting him to be a persistent penetrator and pain in the butt (no jokes please gentlemen). Even then, I'm not convinced of the value but throw in the fact that he can play at DE too, albeit more as a one-gap 5-tech, and for me, he gets a big boost in value because we need to give our two DEs some respite and with Easley we get to kill two birds with one stone, namely a disruptive interior player that fill a part time role on the edge too.

I agree that he doesn't hold up well in the run game but that's not what you are drafting him for. You are drafting him to be a persistent penetrator and pain in the butt (no jokes please gentlemen). Even then, I'm not convinced of the value but throw in the fact that he can play at DE too, albeit more as a one-gap 5-tech, and for me, he gets a big boost in value because we need to give our two DEs some respite and with Easley we get to kill two birds with one stone, namely a disruptive interior player that fill a part time role on the edge too.

Manx, what's Easley 40 time? Having a guy that can play and be disruptive in both DE/DT intrigues me. Esp if we can get him 2nd/3rd round.

The fact he has two major knee injuries in the last few year is the reason he will likely drop to the second or third round of this draft. If not for those injuries, I believe he would be a top 20 pick despite his limitations against the run. He is an explosive pass rusher from the 3Tech DT and in a league that is primarily built around the passing game that is a highly sought after type of player. His limitations are similar to Aaron Donald and that is because neither of them are big players both checking in at around 6’1” – 6’2” 285lbs – 290lbs, this causes them to get handled against 330lb OGs.

Easley is exactly the type of player this team needs, he would be able to step into the sub packages day one and rush the passer from the inside this allows the team to keep Chandler Jones on the edge. If you took Easley and Armstead developed into the player many are expecting (including myself) him to become you have a front that can get after the QB.

4-2-5
LDE – Ninkovich/Buchanan
DT – Armstead
DT – Easley
RDE – Jones

SLB – Collins
WLB – Mayo

LCB – Revis
RCB – Dennard
Tight end CB – Browner
SAF – Ryan
SAF – McCourty

That defense would be feared by every head coach in the NFL. Then on early downs you they can use a run stopping front

LDE – Ninkovich (Armstead or Easley in certain run stopping situations)
DT – Kelly
NT – Wilfork
RDE – Jones

SLB – Collins
MLB – Hightower
WLB – Mayo

LCB – Revis
RCB – Browner/Dennard
FS – McCourty
SS – Harmon/Chung

Isn't he the guy who said he wasn't that into football?

I think that's been blown way out of proportion. What he said is that he isn't into watching football on tv, he just likes playing. I've never heard anybody question his work ethic in training or motivation on the field.

For me, Easley is an incredibly hard player to evaluate. He has rare and immensely valuable talent as an interior pass rusher who gives OLs fits, but can also get turned around and lose track of the ball on running plays. And ACL repairs on both knees goes far beyond the usual "injury red flags," but he has reportedly recovered well. What's more, we have no reliable measurables on him.

I think he could be a valuable addition, but too risky to consider at #29 (and likely gone by #62).

So overrated.
Against whom? I'm a Gator fan and watch every game of theirs and I honestly can't remember one game where he was getting destroyed by one guy and getting run over against the run. Name the game.

I like Easely as a player but the two ACL's scare me off, after the Ras I-Dowling experience I would prefer they take players with much less injury history with their top picks. If he is still there at #95 then take the flyer but otherwise go after healthier prospects. I understand the upside but two ACL's is too much imo.

The difference with Aaron Donald is that he's strong as a bull and plays like a much heavier DT.

Easley isn't nearly as strong, and plays like you would expect an undersized DT to play.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back