PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Friday 12/15/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
Because they aren’t the same and 10 only “got ****” in people’s made up stories.
Mac's on field play is enough to make a fair evaluation of him as an NFL QB. All of the off the field rhetoric does not help anything. Mac contacting his college coaches was not a big deal. Players routinely go 'outside of the team' to leverage their personal networks. It is likely that what Mac said during those conversations, not who he said it to, was the problem.

Reactions: Ian
He brought in Phifer and Brady. Ted Johnson was cooked.
Law and bruschi (and mcginest) we the only Pillars he inherited.
He brought in something like 35 free agents prior to the 01 season but why let facts get in the way right. He inherited the whole roster sounds better. It really amazes the hoops people jump through to discredit it's not enough for them to point to the mess we are in they also have to tear at history too.

Keep fighting the good fight Ring 6 don't let the haters bring you down.

Mac's on field play is enough to make a fair evaluation of him as an NFL QB. All of the off the field rhetoric does not help anything. Mac contacting his college coaches was not a big deal. Players routinely go 'outside of the team' to leverage their personal networks. It is likely that what Mac said during those conversations, not who he said it to, was the problem.
The problem was it hit the news media that Mac was going outside the building looking for help. Thats a bad look because it says he doesn’t trust his coaches in the locker room. Same kind of thing that got Brady in hot water about Guerrero.

Of course you need some vets, but you also have to account for some other things. Belichick also jettisoned some real talented players who didn't fit his with what he was trying to do, whether that was Greg Spires, Terry Glenn, Lawyer Milloy, Damien Woody, Tebucky Jones.

My concern is that, unless it's a guy who wants a 3-4, with few LBs on the field, a lot of players aren't going to fit. Godchaux won't. Guy, Jennings, Wise, Keion White. These guys are protoypical 3-4 DEs (maybe White can play DT but his speed is wasted there). Tavai and Bentley are useless because they can't cover. Peppers may be useless too.

This is the problem. Dugger can play anywhere but I wouldn't trust him to play cover-2.
Terry Glenn was more of a culture fit. Talented but couldn't stay healthy and was one to speak put even with Parcells. Woody was a guy who spoke up as well. lawyer was contract related. Didn't wanna take a paycut he became expendable due to us having just signed hot rod.

But I agree with you all the current guys on defense we have are all solid players and should be here for the next part of the post BB era. Tavai and Bentley are great downhill thumpers.. Tavai is actually pretty good in coverage he is a guy who's gotten better each season. Peppers is the general in the secondary. He's playing FS where I personally feel his talents are wasted he needs to be around the line of scrimmage more.. he's more impactful there. Same with Dugger. We also need to be signing a natural FS in FA a guy that's a ball hawk.

He brought in something like 35 free agents prior to the 01 season but why let facts get in the way right. He inherited the whole roster sounds better. It really amazes the hoops people jump through to discredit it's not enough for them to point to the mess we are in they also have to tear at history too.

Keep fighting the good fight Ring 6 don't let the haters bring you down.
I believe where people get things twisted is the fact yes.. the facts Bill inherited some guys, and did a great job of building in FA and the draft those years. I don't think people can dispute any of that. Bill is a not only a patriots legend he's an NFL legend. However as we all know sports is a production based business. No matter what happens after week 18 I'll always appreciate Bill and everything he did for the new England area.

The problem was it hit the news media that Mac was going outside the building looking for help. Thats a bad look because it says he doesn’t trust his coaches in the locker room. Same kind of thing that got Brady in hot water about Guerrero.
For example Ty Law discussed how he was regularly in touch with people he trusted outside of the organization to try to help himself improve. The nuance in both Mac and TB12's situations is that the reach out was not in line with the team direction. In the case of Guerrero the team drew the line when other players were also falling under his spell.

Last edited:
It's going to be difficult dealing with this madness every time a HC gets fired. If you know anything about BB and anything about Dean Spanos and his kid there is no world in which BB ever works for them. Quote me, bookmark this, print it out and put it on a wall.
Yeah, look back to BB turning down the Jets HC job due to ownership.

Now look at Spanos' history: he fired Mart Schottenheimer after the Chargers went 14-2. 14-2 wasn't good enough? Fire Marlon McCree for fumbling after what should have been the game-winning interception in their playoff loss to the Pats. But the deal-breaker for Belichick would be that Spanos reortedly did not like the idea of a head coach hiring a relative. In that case it was Schottenheimer first hiring his son Brian to be the QB coach, and then after four coaches left for promotions on other teams he wanted to hire his brother to replace DC Wade Phillips, who had been signed by Dallas to be their head coach.

Given that history, I cannot envision Belichick signing with the Chargers. Similarly, considering BB's desire to have his sons on his coaching staff, I doubt Spanos would want to hire Belichick.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back