PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily Q&A With Rutgers OL Kevin Haslam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Looking at Kevin Haslam in high school, one had to wonder whether the tall, thin kid from New Jersey would excel in football. State residents were questioning the same thing about Rutgers. Five years later, those questions have been answered, as the offensive lineman has helped the Scarlet Knights become consistent bowl contenders.

Haslam discussed such topics as position versatility, team consistency and sports movies during his in-depth conversation with PD.

Q&A With Rutgers OL Kevin Haslam

Thanks!

As a Rutgers fan and season ticket holder, I'll add my take on Kevin.

Pros:
-plays light on his feet
-versatile
-long frame that can handle more weight
-coachable
-shocked he didn't get a combine invite

Cons:
-needs to get stronger
-needs to add weight
-doesn't dominate

Could see him getting drafted in the 6/7th round. Would be a nice get as FA.

As a Rutgers fan and season ticket holder, I'll add my take on Kevin.

Pros:
-plays light on his feet
-versatile
-long frame that can handle more weight
-coachable
-shocked he didn't get a combine invite

Cons:
-needs to get stronger
-needs to add weight
-doesn't dominate

Could see him getting drafted in the 6/7th round. Would be a nice get as FA.
Thankee kindly. Tell us about the other kids in this draft - Brown, D'Imperio, McCourty, Corcoran, Munoz, Blaszczyk, who am I missing?

Thankee kindly. Tell us about the other kids in this draft - Brown, D'Imperio, McCourty, Corcoran, Munoz, Blaszczyk, who am I missing?
Absolutely!

"Big Daddy" Anthony Davis OT

Pros:
-size
-athleticism (quick feet, great in pass protection)
-strength (regardless of the reps @ 225)
-dominant
-mean streak

Cons:
-does not dominate EVERY play
-occasional cheap shot due to overzealousness (immaturity?) at times
-he's young (only 20, will turn 21 in October)
-I'm thinking....

I think the majority of criticisms that have gone AD's way is total BS. This kid LOVES to destroy his assignment and usually does so with ease. When he doesn't dominate a play, people complain he's taking a play off. I disagree. He may lose concentration at times (immaturity?) but even then he usually wins his assignment.

Then there's the overweight "issue". This is a non-issue. Coach Schiano runs a tight ship with strict rules that no one is immune to. One of these is camp weight. Players need to be w/in +/- 5 pounds of their reporting weight. Scuttlebutt has it AD was barely over this. There's no Mt. Cody problem here.

Would be awesome to see him as a Pat but don't think it'll happen.

Last edited:
Devin McCourty (D-Mac) DB

Pros:
-speed (he'll run low 4.4)
-smooth and fluid hips
-usually played on an island
-makes plays
-special teams demon (GREAT gunner, kick/punt blocker, good returner)
-great off the field
-intelligent
-solid tackler

Cons:
-does not have elite size for a corner (5'10/5'11" 185 lbs)
-gambler

D-Mac was my favorite Scarlet Knight. He just makes plays whether if it's on ST or DEF.

I would love to see him as a Pat. I think he could sneak into the first round (as long as it's not the Jets). Solid 2nd rounder.

Last edited:
"Touchdown" Timmy Brown WR

Pros:
-speed (legit 4.3 speed)
-toughness (small man who took some serious shots, but always got up)
-playmaker
-decent hands
-no fear

Cons:
-size (probably 5'6" 160 lbs max)
-not a good returner
-no wiggle (straightline runner)
-combine snub

If Timmy was 5'10 he'd be a 3rd/4th rounder. Doubt he'll get drafted but will be in someone's camp.

Last edited:
Ryan D'Imperio LB

Pros:
-decent size for ILB (6'2" 240 lbs.)
-smart and intense
-solid tackler
-can play in space

Cons:
-injury prone
-closing speed

If Ryan could have redshirted in '07 (coming back from a severe broken leg that required pins, but still played in parts of 11 games), would have been interesting to see how well he would have played next year. Anyway, he played banged up all year long but was still a solid, dependable leader on D. FA type that will get a look somewhere.

George Johnson DE/LB

Pros:
-athletic (should run the 40 in 4.6X)
-speed rushing end or LB
-size (6'4" 260 lbs)

Cons:
-inconsistent career (some plays he dominates, some you can't even find him)
-injury bug
-underachiever

Intriguing FA type. Could develop as a speedrushing end or LB. Occasionally dropped into coverage from his end position. Similar to Jamaal Westerman with the Jets but with more athleticism.

Keep'em coming - good reads all.

Jack Corcoran FB

Pros:
-hybrid back
-good hands out of the backfield

Cons:
-inconsistent blocker
-not much experience running the ball
-does not possess prototypical FB size (6'0" 230 lbs)
-is not Jacob Hester or Brian Leonard

Jack was placed in the unenviable position of replacing Brian Leonard (aka RU Superman). And then he shared the backfield with Ray Rice so he wasn't going to carry the ball much. May get a look in camp for someone looking for a blocking/pass-catching 3rd down back.

Ryan Blaszczyk C

Pros:
-gamer
-overachiever
-decent size for an interior linemen (6'2" 295 lbs)

Cons:
-inconsistent this past year (probably due to an injured ankle)
-potential is maxed out?

The RU interior o-line struggled this past year. Davis and Haslam on the outside were solid to great bookends, but Coach Schiano always shoehorns the 5 best o-linemen he has and this caused difficulties this year. Pressure up the gut killed us, and running up the gut was difficult.

Shamar Graves TE/H-Back/WR

Pros:
-raw
-size (6'3" 230 lbs)
-mean streak
-physical
-upside

Cons:
-raw
-size
-position?

Shamar unfortunately was denied a redshirt, so this raw and talented hybrid receiver will not be on the Banks next year. He was inconsistent blocking on the line but he was a devastating blocker when put in motion. Came in as a big receiver but converted to TE out of necessity.

Could be a developmental WR.

Shamar Graves TE/H-Back/WR

Pros:
-raw
-size (6'3" 230 lbs)
-mean streak
-physical
-upside

Cons:
-raw
-size
-position?

Shamar unfortunately was denied a redshirt, so this raw and talented hybrid receiver will not be on the Banks next year. He was inconsistent blocking on the line but he was a devastating blocker when put in motion. Came in as a big receiver but converted to TE out of necessity.

Could be a developmental WR.
Any feel for his speed, quickness, body control, routes, hands? Is he the kind of kid who will work his buns off on the PSquad for a shot at Special Teams and some roster time?

Damaso Munoz LB/S

Pros:
-speed (4.5/4.6)
-ferocious hitter
-plays w/reckless abandon
-playmaker
-leader

Cons:
-size (5'11" 200 lbs)
-would rather lay a big hit than wrap up
-gambler
-position?

Mace was a solid performer for RU who had a productive senior year. I think he'd be an intriguing developmental SS prospect.

Damaso Munoz LB/S

Pros:
-speed (4.5/4.6)
-ferocious hitter
-plays w/reckless abandon
-playmaker
-leader

Cons:
-size (5'11" 200 lbs)
-would rather lay a big hit than wrap up
-gambler
-position?

Mace was a solid performer for RU who had a productive senior year. I think he'd be an intriguing developmental SS prospect.
He leaped off the screen at me in their bowl game, I kept thinking please let this kid be a junior! How much Special Teams time has he had?

Any feel for his speed, quickness, body control, routes, hands? Is he the kind of kid who will work his buns off on the PSquad for a shot at Special Teams and some roster time?

Shamar at times looked unstoppable. Catching everything that went his way. Other times he'd drop 2 or 3 in a row. Needs to work on route running but is physical and created separation against linebackers. Will he be able to do that against CB in the NFL? Jury is out on that one but he will definitely give everything he's got to make a practice squad.

RU has another TE prospect that was converted from QB (only a redshirt frosh so he's got a few years left in college). DC Jefferson. 6'6" 250 lbs. Looked good at times as a RsFr. Switched to TE before the season (Tom Savage is a stud sophomore-to-be QB to look out for). Never played TE before, looked good as a receiver but needs to learn blocking technique. Huge upside.

He leaped off the screen at me in their bowl game, I kept thinking please let this kid be a junior! How much Special Teams time has he had?

In 2007 he played the mike when D'Imperio was injured. He looked so lost out there. Over the years he developed very nicely and was a playmaker all year for us. He also played well in coverage. I hope he gets a shot.

In 2007 he played the mike when D'Imperio was injured. He looked so lost out there. Over the years he developed very nicely and was a playmaker all year for us. He also played well in coverage. I hope he gets a shot.
He was impressive that day, I hope someone test drives him too.

If you have any thoughts on some of the kids Rutgers played against I'd enjoy reading those notes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents