PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots.com compares and reflects on the 49ers and Patriots dynasties (really good read!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It's a long read, but it's worth every second of your time.

Comparing and reflecting on the 49ers and Patriots dynasties, 15 and 35 years after they began

C2AK66EUoAAIlQD.jpg

For Pats fans and lovers of football history, it really doesn't get better than this :D

Last edited:
Excellent read. I really enjoyed those 49ers teams back in the day and to think we have done something very similar is still hard to believe. One difference between the runs in my opinion is the fact that during the 49ers time there were many years in which other teams were clearly better than them. You had the 85 Bears, 86 Giants and then the Cowboys dynasty in the early 90's. While the Pats have not necessarily been the best team every single year of this stretch I do not think they were ever surpassed as the team to beat by anyone else beyond a finite point in time. Winning #5 will end the argument. Let's hope we get that soon.

“This sounds like criticism of New England it’s not, but you can’t find three teams more (screwed) up over the long term than the rest of the AFC East,’’ said Billick,

Hahaha

I see it more as they just cannot surpass Belichick and the Pats which would happen no matter what division the Pats were in. But still funny.

“This sounds like criticism of New England it’s not, but you can’t find three teams more (screwed) up over the long term than the rest of the AFC East,’’ said Billick,

Hahaha

I see it more as they just cannot surpass Belichick and the Pats which would happen no matter what division the Pats were in. But still funny.

He follows it up with this quote:

Taking nothing away from the Patriots, because they've been a great team. But can you name three franchises and ownership groups that have been weaker?

I would actually put the Dolphins and Bills in the middle of the pack in terms of 'franchise and ownership groups'. I feel like you can go through each division and find 1-2 teams that are weaker than both of those teams.

I think I've read both that (1) the Pats have a better record outside of the division than they do within it over the last decade and (2) if you take the AFC East teams record without including the Patriots the last 15 years, it is in the middle of the pack compared with any other division if you take away its best team. Would be good to know if I'm right with those stats, since they shut down the 'easy division' argument.

Niners didn't have to deal with a salary cap and the Patriots have won with a salary cap and much more roster turnover.

Thats pretty comparable. The Patriots have been slightly better, while they do have 1 less Super Bowl, the Pats win in most of those categories. But pretty damn close. The difference being is that the Patriots have done it with 1 coach and 1 QB, and more importantly still going.

Niners didn't have to deal with a salary cap and the Patriots have won with a salary cap and much more roster turnover.

This is certainly true, 49'ers also had to play teams that didn't lose players so it all evens out. I believe free agency started in 92' or 93' and the Salary cap the year after. So the Niners had a few years at the end with current restrictions.

Obviously the Patriots have mastered the system, but even when they are rebuilding they were still going deep into the playoffs because of the GOAT.

Excellent read. I really enjoyed those 49ers teams back in the day and to think we have done something very similar is still hard to believe. One difference between the runs in my opinion is the fact that during the 49ers time there were many years in which other teams were clearly better than them. You had the 85 Bears, 86 Giants and then the Cowboys dynasty in the early 90's. While the Pats have not necessarily been the best team every single year of this stretch I do not think they were ever surpassed as the team to beat by anyone else beyond a finite point in time. Winning #5 will end the argument. Let's hope we get that soon.

The 2009 saints were clearly much better.

Thats pretty comparable. The Patriots have been slightly better, while they do have 1 less Super Bowl, the Pats win in most of those categories. But pretty damn close. The difference being is that the Patriots have done it with 1 coach and 1 QB, and more importantly still going.
The Patriots aren't done yet.
Win this SB and the overall tilts to them, don't and the 49ers win the comparison.

The amazing thing: the 49ers run was done pre-cap. It ran through two coaches and two QB's, because 16 years is a LONG time to be on top, to be motivated year after year to be the absolute best. The Patriots run is not only in the cap era when salaries and rosters are so hard to manage, but it's still going on, with the same original HC and QB. Regardless of what happens this postseason the Patriots will be among the handful of pre-2017 Super Bowl favorites and you just know they'll have a stacked roster and a motivated Brady. How many more years does this insane run last?

Putting it in this perspective--that the 49ers dynasty was exhausted effectively this year of the Patriots run--makes it all the more incredible.

"The 2009 saints were clearly much better." 2006 Saints, 2013 Seahawks

Not disagreeing that there were better individual teams than the Pats. My point was that there was never a team that surpassed the Patriots as the best organization. ie: Clemson beat Alabama this year but most would still say that Alabama is still the best program going. San Fran was clearly surpassed in the middle of their run by the early 90's Cowboys who won 3 out of 4 years. The Pats have had individual team pop up for a couple years here and there but have never been able to sustain it.

Pretty simple. If the Pats win the SB they are the better dynasty. If they don't SF gets the nod for now. The Pats need win 5 though. If SB wins are not equal that pretty much decides it. If equal the Pats win the tie breakers imo.

We can't?

Browns
Lions
Raiders (before this year)
Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes