PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots claim TE Jake Ballard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coach's video for the Pats will be called the "All TE" instead of the "All 22".

One of the things that people are forgetting is the new IR rule.. That you can now activate ONE player off your IR during the season. I would not be surprised to see Ballard be that guy if one of the others gets injured.

Technically I don't think that rule has been approved yet, though I assume it will be. That would certainly create an interesting scenario.

As someone else mentioned, Ballard will be an ERFA at the end of 2012 so the Pats have his rights through the end of 2014. And, should Ballard come back healthy in 2013, it gives the Pats some leverage over Hernandez.

Patriots claim injured tight end Ballard from Giants

The Patriots will pay Ballard $540,000 this season not to play but to rehabilitate his knee. Ballard will be an exclusive rights free agent for the Patriots after this season.

We also have to remember that the Pats have Daniel Fells who is rehabbing as well..

Technically I don't think that rule has been approved yet, though I assume it will be. That would certainly create an interesting scenario.

It was approved at the last owners meeting..

It was approved at the last owners meeting..

I understand that. But it hasn't been approved by the union, so it's not official yet. I'm not sure that will be a problem, but as of right now it's just a proposed change, not an actual one.

Best fourth tight end in football.

Anyone else see the Patriots forward planning if we're unable to hold onto Hernandez? BB is at it again.

As someone else mentioned, Ballard will be an ERFA at the end of 2012 so the Pats have his rights through the end of 2014. And, should Ballard come back healthy in 2013, it gives the Pats some leverage over Hernandez.

Patriots claim injured tight end Ballard from Giants

We also have to remember that the Pats have Daniel Fells who is rehabbing as well..

I do not like thee, D Fells

I have watched a few giants games and he is pretty good. But somehow i feel like we just did something wrong taking him. Something only the patriots would stoop low enough to do or something the media would say like that.

Fark 'em. :D

The Patriots are playing chess 20 moves ahead of everyone else.

We will never see another era quite like this ever again.

Last edited:
they should poison pill every contract to scare people off waivers.

I have watched a few giants games and he is pretty good. But somehow i feel like we just did something wrong taking him. Something only the patriots would stoop low enough to do or something the media would say like that.

How is claiming a player off waivers 'stooping low'?
He can go on PUP and be active by week 10.
He can go on IR and get paid to rehab.
Exactly what do you think is wrong with claiming a player you want on your team and paying him?

Wanted him as a UDFA in 2010.
Wanted the Pats to sign him from the Giants PS last season.

Finally!

Why am I imagining Tom Coughlin's face even redder right now than it was in the 07 NFC Championship game??

Why am I imagining Tom Coughlin's face even redder right now than it was in the 07 NFC Championship game??

ehh..he owns the pats..he probably doesn't give a ****..we already have gronk and hernandez..this guy won't even see the field

Last edited:
On the face of it, it's baffling that a smart organization like the Giants would expose a valuable player to waivers in the 90-man roster era. Which has to make you wonder...just how bad is Ballard's knee? He did have microfracture surgery, which is never a good sign.

On the face of it, it's baffling that a smart organization like the Giants would expose a valuable player to waivers in the 90-man roster era. Which has to make you wonder...just how bad is Ballard's knee? He did have microfracture surgery, which is never a good sign.

Oh his knee may never be 100% the same again...prob won't play until 2013..who knows..we may see him out there..we may not..everyone recovers different

Last edited:

It's not much of a risk for the Pats or would it have been for any team.

It's a calculated risk for the Patriots because Ballard may not return to his prior form and is due $540,000 in 2012. But he will become an exclusive rights free agent in 2013, which means that if the Patriots believe his recovery went well they would only need to offer him a three-year deal at the veteran's minimum salary and he would have no choice but to sign it.

Jake Ballard claimed by Patriots off waivers from Giants, according to agent | NJ.com

I was curious, and perused what I could find of Giant fan forums after a brief internet search. Apparently the number one opinion is that BB did this out of spite, followed by his grilling Ballard for info on the Giants offense; he is dumb for spending a whopping $540k on a player who won't play this year; or the tried and true sour grapes logic of not wanting Ballard now that he is no longer on their team.

Ballard claimed by Pats | Big Blue Interactive

New York Giants Message Boards - Patriots claim Ballard - We're in their heads, people.

I was curious, and perused what I could find of Giant fan forums after a brief internet search. Apparently the number one opinion is that BB did this out of spite, followed by his grilling Ballard for info on the Giants offense; he is dumb for spending a whopping $540k on a player who won't play this year; or the tried and true sour grapes logic of not wanting Ballard now that he is no longer on their team.

Ballard claimed by Pats | Big Blue Interactive

New York Giants Message Boards - Patriots claim Ballard - We're in their heads, people.

Honestly, you could have saved yourself the effort and guessed what Giants fans on message boards would be saying, and you would have nailed it.
Just do it this way:
If one of our guys was injured and we cut him hoping to bring him back after he cleared waivers, and the Giants picked him up, what would the reactionary, vocal, minority on this board be filling pages of posts with?
Same exact things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference