PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots claim TE Jake Ballard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if its been asked and answered already in this thread, but how did some other more TE needy team not claim him before the Pats? I'd think a team like the Jets would be kicking themselves for not jumping on this kid.

I'd think a team like the Jets would be kicking themselves for not jumping on this kid.

Some teams are not always looking a year into the future. Some hardly look past the arrival of their next God-damn snack.

I don't know if its been asked and answered already in this thread, but how did some other more TE needy team not claim him before the Pats? I'd think a team like the Jets would be kicking themselves for not jumping on this kid.
The Jets cap structure is set up so they cannot afford decent depth. No way they pay a 54th player to sit on pup or IR all year in order to be better next year.
If todays depth doesn't matter to you, nexts year isn't even a consideration.

That depends on the sport. The unwritten rules in hockey and baseball are very important. In football, not so much...

I don't even call this one an "unwritten rule." Have you seen other teams trying to pass injured players who are significant contributors through waivers? No, because they know other teams would claim them, of course. Because that's what happens when good players hit the waiver wire. The only unusual action in this case was on the part of the Giants, not the Patriots.

Besides, "unwritten rules" are generally about how you play the game. This alleged "gentlemen's agreement" would be collusion by management against players. (In fact, the very phrase "gentlemen's agreement" should be a tipoff that we're talking about illegal or discriminatory collusion by people in positions of power.)

I recall a story going around a few years ago about how BB called Minnesota coach Childress and personally and requested they don't put a claim into Garrett Mills.. Childress scoff'd and took him.. (google it, some stories about it)

I'm pretty sure that the only source for those articles is the renowned ass clown Brad Childress who I believe is currently unemployed. (Maybe there is an IT department looking for a decent intern).

Why would the Pats only call the Vikings and ask that when 30 other teams could have taken him? It makes very little sense. And regardless, Mills was a nothing that they were trying to get to the PS. Dozens of those guys get snatched up every year at cut-down time.

The hilarity is that the Giants felt that they just had to have that 90th player and figured nobody would pay a guy half a million to rehab this year. And here I thought Kraft was cheap.

The Jets cap structure is set up so they cannot afford decent depth. No way they pay a 54th player to sit on pup or IR all year in order to be better next year.
If todays depth doesn't matter to you, nexts year isn't even a consideration.

I think it really comes down to the Giants figuring nobody would pony up 500k for Ballard not to play. They out-thinkified themselves.

I think it really comes down to the Giants figuring nobody would pony up 500k for Ballard not to play. They out-thinkified themselves.

BB's press conference from last year in which he was asked about all the Pats players who were cut and signed by other teams, including guys like Will Yeatman and Lee Smith:

Q: When you release a guy and hope to put him on your practice squad and he gets claimed by another team is that a frustration for you?

BB: No. I mean, anytime you release a player I think you have a pretty good expectation that he's not going to be here. If you want him then you keep him on the roster. Once you've put him out there then you can expect to lose him. The practice squad – we've lost guys before that haven't been claimed and then they sign with another practice squad team – or sign with another team and go to their practice squad, and we've done that. We've signed guys that have been released by other teams. We did it this year. Maybe somebody else wanted them on their practice squad, but they're on our practice squad. There're guys that we would have put on our practice squad that went to other teams on their practice squad. So, once you release the player, I think you expect them to be released. If you get them back, you get them back, but if you don't, you don't. I just don't think you can release a player and expect to keep the player. If you do that's pretty – it's nice if it happens if that's what you want, but there's got to be a good probability that that isn't going to happen. It's certainly not anything you can count on; it's not anything that we ever count on, I can tell you that. Once they're on the wire then 31 other teams – if anybody wants him, he's there's. Unless he's vested – that's a little different situation, but we weren't talking about a lot of players in that category – not on the practice squad.

Bill Belichick Press Conference Transcript

Even better is that I was reading a thread on JI yesterday where someone mentioned that Ballard had been waived and was wondering if the Rats should put in a claim. No one else picked up on that thought at all.

So now fast forward to today, and we find out that the Pats, who probably have the top TE group in the NFL, are the ONLY team to put in a claim on Ballard, while lesser teams, like the Rats, just sat their on their mangy, flea-bitten haunches, gnawing on moldy cheese, and allowing the far superior Pats to get even more superior.

Imagine the gnashing of little rodent teeth now in the fetid swamps of New Jersey.

To be fair to the jets, they are only 4 mill under the cap at this time, they still have to put the PS together and need a contingency fund to either sign a august cut or sign an in season pick up.to spend 15% of the space on a guy that will not play is a stretch.

To be fair to the jets, they are only 4 mill under the cap at this time, they still have to put the PS together and need a contingency fund to either sign a august cut or sign an in season pick up.to spend 15% of the space on a guy that will not play is a stretch.

But that's just an example of how the Pats and Jets do business in a completely different manner. The Jets take care of the big money contracts first, and don't really focus on the back of the roster. They make "circus" signings and trades - Tim Tebow, Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes. The Pats get guys like Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead, and a bunch of no-names at reasonable cost. And the Pats are willing to pay to carry a guy on their roster who won't contribute until 2013. Ryan and Tannenbaum could both be gone by then.

BB's press conference from last year in which he was asked about all the Pats players who were cut and signed by other teams, including guys like Will Yeatman and Lee Smith:

Bill Belichick Press Conference Transcript

I understand the point and I'm sure the Giants know the same exact thing. They tried to get cute and that's no doubt why Coughlin is so pissed.

I really don't understand how 30 other teams didn't see the upside of claiming him. I bet that football genius Brad Childress would have snagged him and then claimed to have talked to Coughlin beforehand.

I'm pretty sure that the only source for those articles is the renowned ass clown Brad Childress who I believe is currently unemployed. (Maybe there is an IT department looking for a decent intern).

Why would the Pats only call the Vikings and ask that when 30 other teams could have taken him? It makes very little sense. And regardless, Mills was a nothing that they were trying to get to the PS. Dozens of those guys get snatched up every year at cut-down time.

The hilarity is that the Giants felt that they just had to have that 90th player and figured nobody would pay a guy half a million to rehab this year. And here I thought Kraft was cheap.

Childress is OC somewhere. Cleveland maybe?

I understand the point and I'm sure the Giants know the same exact thing. They tried to get cute and that's no doubt why Coughlin is so pissed.

The transcript of Coughlin's remarks really didn't capture just how pissed he was - I can't remember seeing him that upset in a long time. He may be a bit upset at BB, but not nearly as much as he is upset at himself and the Giants for taking such a dumb risk in the first place.

You should see how some Giants fans and Patriot Haters come out in force ...on this topic...its almost biblical. For some reason, common sense doesn't come into play for many of these fans. Lets see ..who wants an improving and productive tight end that's very young and cheap and has potential....for only 500K....let me think ....

500K is nothing in pro football .... that's why the patriots are always looking outside the box...:beatingcoming: the competition to the punch :)

I think even you can understand that Wr skills, and 'speed' are defined much more widely than how fast you ran a 40 once.
C'mon Andy. Pony up and admit you misspoke.

As for your secondary comment about speed, I tend to agree. Some players who lack explosive pace can still play fast. That's the benefit of skill, body control, precision routes and mental aptitude.

As for the Ballard acquisition. The Patriots capitalized on an ill-advised move by an opponent. The Patriots have strengthened their own roster and weakened a rival within the boundaries of legislation. There should be no quarrel from anyone. It was a legitimate move.

Last edited:
C'mon Andy. Pony up and admit you misspoke.

As for your secondary comment about speed, I tend to agree. Some players who lack explosive pace can still play fast. That's the benefit of skill, body control, precision routes and mental aptitude.

As for the Ballard acquisition. The Patriots capitalized on an ill-advised move by an opponent. The Patriots have strengthened their own roster and weakened a rival within the boundaries of legislation. There should be no quarrel from anyone. It was a legitimate move.

My point had nothing to do with 40 times, and I stand by it.

My point had nothing to do with 40 times, and I stand by it.
Of course not. You don't enjoy your own hypocrisy being pointed out where others are happy to simply admit they made a mistake or didn't research their position before making a comment.

Same old Andy. :rolleyes:

Of course not. You don't enjoy your own hypocrisy being pointed out where others are happy to simply admit they made a mistake or didn't research their position before making a comment.

Same old Andy. :rolleyes:

Think what you wish.
I know that I know what I meant, and it would appear from your comments that you do not.
You are, however, entitled to your opinion, divisive or not.

Hernandez is good as a TE because he is quick and fast for a TE. As a WR he would be slow, negating a lot of his talent.

I think even you can understand that Wr skills, and 'speed' are defined much more widely than how fast you ran a 40 once.

Think what you wish.
I know that I know what I meant, and it would appear from your comments that you do not.
You are, however, entitled to your opinion, divisive or not.
Thank you for allowing me to have an opinion. I read your position and have duly noted the key points in bold.

1. You made a statement about Aaron Hernandez, speed, the TE position and the WR position.
2. You made a comment that as a receiver, Hernandez would be considered slow and that would negate his talent. Receiver 40 times were pointed out to you as a basis for comparison given positions played.
3. The discussion turned to Hernandez losing match up advantages on LB's and Safeties as a TE if he was played as a WR negating his speed advantage ignoring his size advantage against CB's.
4. You moved your discussion from Hernandez's speed to incorporate a wider definition of football speed opposed to 40 times.
5. Your hypocrisy was pointed out given your flawed starting position and you've gone into self preservation mode.

Have I missed anything?

All of this, once again Andy could have been avoided if you simply said, guys, you're right, I misspoke, this is exactly what I meant.

Either way, this has derailed enough from Ballard. I'll keep my commentary toward the Patriots acquisition moving forward and you're free to have the last word in regards to Aaron Hernandez.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back