PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots agree to terms with Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots Agree to Terms with Bodden

One more thing, what's with all the man love for Ellis? Ellis, is that you? God of wrath, how about target of coaches wrath?

I said he could be a good nickleback, that is better than some of the things I called him during the season last year. He is just OK, maybe a little more than OK, but as a #1 or #2 he just sucks.

This forum is to post. And I agree, only a Jets fan would suck up to Ellis like you do.

You're right. That's why BB has kept him on as either the #1/#2 CB for his entire career here. Because he sucks at it. And his dancing. What an ass.

Thanks, Merril Hoge.

Last edited:

One more thing, what's with all the man love for Ellis? Ellis, is that you? God of wrath, how about target of coaches wrath?

I said he could be a good nickleback, that is better than some of the things I called him during the season last year. He is just OK, maybe a little more than OK, but as a #1 or #2 he just sucks.

This forum is to post. And I agree, only a Jets fan would suck up to Ellis like you do.

"that is better than some of the things I called him during the season last year"

Really, does anything more need to be said? Your post was garbage. You brought in the refs supposedly not liking the way he plays and you expect a cookie or something?

Cripes, I need to apologize to Jets fans. Even most of them wouldn't have been so ridiculous as to defend that sort of nonsense and try to turn it on the person calling them out.

"that is better than some of the things I called him during the season last year"

Really, does anything more need to be said? Your post was garbage. You brought in the refs supposedly not liking the way he plays and you expect a cookie or something?

Cripes, I need to apologize to Jets fans. Even most of them wouldn't have been so ridiculous as to defend that sort of nonsense and try to turn it on the person calling them out.

Easy, killer.

the love for ellis hobbs has escaped me....forever.....i bet dollars to donuts he's not starting in week 10 next year. let's remember this thread.

the love for ellis hobbs has escaped me....forever.....i bet dollars to donuts he's not starting in week 10 next year. let's remember this thread.
I am always wary of people that make prognostications like this.

you got any donuts? we can do this thing.

Miguel can tell us for sure, but it is possible that the $750K is vet min since vets with a more years of experience have a higher threshold for vet min than players with less experience (the diff between their actually salary and the vet min amount is ignored for salary cap purposes).

Then again, Bodden hasn't been around that long, so I'm not entirely sure.

For a player of 6 years of NFL experience $645,000 is the minimum. If Bolden did sign for $750,000 his contract would therefore be ineligible for the vet min treatment.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Patriots continue cornerback rehaul, add Bodden

With NFL.com reporting that this is a $750K deal, this, friends, is the deal of the off-season.

Asomugha signed for $15mm per season.
DeAngelo Hall signed a $9mm+ per season deal.
Jabari Greer signed a $5mm+ per year contract.
Bryant McFadden signed a $5mm per year agreement.

Anything under $5mm would seem to be a good deal. Bodden signed a $7mm per year deal with Detroit one year ago.

$750K is tremendous value. This essentially costs the Pats nothing off the cap, reserving all this money for extensions or other deals, since he will replace another player making around the same.

Holy cow. How do you even raise that as an offer, given the market.
Hey, so, just checking, but how would you like a one-year at 1/20th of the salary Asomugha is getting?

lol...tell me about it.

I still think I'm asleep and when I wake up tomorrow none of this was ever posted.

what probably happened was that bodden actually wants in over here, but they couldn't reach an agreement on a normal 'fair' long term deal.
just off an 0-16 contract killing season, he probably offered to put in the one year on good faith, like moss did, knowing that he could possibly get a ring out of it, or at the very least haul in a samuel sized deal in the following uncapped year.

lol...tell me about it.

I still think I'm asleep and when I wake up tomorrow none of this was ever posted.

what probably happened was that bodden actually wants in over here, but they couldn't reach an agreement on a normal 'fair' long term deal.
just off an 0-16 contract killing season, he probably offered to put in the one year on good faith, like moss did, knowing that he could possibly get a ring out of it, or at the very least haul in a samuel sized deal in the following uncapped year.

Your pretty much dead on with your assessment. I can think of no other reason why he would sign a 750,000 dollar deal. The market is slow but it isn't dead. He could of waited and still got a 1 yr 2 million dollar deal imo.

lol...tell me about it.

I know, it's hard not to pinch yourself to make sure that it feels real.

The way the FO is going, we'll wake up tomorrow to find out that Jason Taylor has signed a 1 year deal for the vet minimum, and wants to "prove himself" to earn a longer term deal. :D

I'll bet he could've got better than 2 mil, but it wouldn't have been any kind of bank breaking deal, and he just might be tired of losing.
16 losses......that's like 4 years for a pat.

I think we could use an OLB, an ILB, and a S to be really set. I think an impact OLB or Safety with our first rounder would be ideal, if we like someone there.

I agree, only I'll add that I'm not sure a rookie can excel at OLB in our system. Then again, I had my doubts a rookie could excel at ILB in our system.

I think the thing with Hobbs is, he can be your number 1 corner if you get turnovers from other places. If you're front seven is forcing fumbles and getting pressure, Hobbs is fine as your #1. If you have a ball hawking safety like Ed Reed, Hobbs is fine as your #1.

Last year, we didn't get as much pressure and we didn't seem to get turnovers out of anyone. In that case, Hobbs being solid but not a big playmaker really stood out.

Sicilian, you're bringing the "A" game to this thread! (See also post #67.)

Thats fine, then you explain why he gets the calls he gets. I was giving him a little credit. Why does Ellis get called at the worst possible times so often? Could it be his technique or could it be that the refs have no respect for his game and treat him accordingly?
You can call me out all you want, but Ellis is not a #1 or #2 in the NFL. He gets burnt too many times during the season to be one. It isn't like he takes a lot of chances either. He lines up ten yards off of the line in most situations and still gets toasted. What will make him a good nickle is that he really does tackle well, but you can't tackle somebody when you are ten yards behind him. So Ellis, instead of coming to a forum to defend yourself, try playing at a consistent level that somewhat aproaches NFL standards.

Thats fine, then you explain why he gets the calls he gets. I was giving him a little credit. Why does Ellis get called at the worst possible times so often? Could it be his technique or could it be that the refs have no respect for his game and treat him accordingly?
You can call me out all you want, but Ellis is not a #1 or #2 in the NFL. He gets burnt too many times during the season to be one. It isn't like he takes a lot of chances either. He lines up ten yards off of the line in most situations and still gets toasted. What will make him a good nickle is that he really does tackle well, but you can't tackle somebody when you are ten yards behind him. So Ellis, instead of coming to a forum to defend yourself, try playing at a consistent level that somewhat aproaches NFL standards.

I recall two such calls against Hobbs and none since 2006. Can you list all of these bad calls against Ellis for the benefit of the rest of us?

I recall two such calls against Hobbs and none since 2006. Can you list all of these bad calls against Ellis for the benefit of the rest of us?

No he can't. He just simply doesnt like Hobbs. :rolleyes:

No he can't. He just simply doesnt like Hobbs. :rolleyes:

I like Hobbs and I think his play would improve with better safety play (I'm talking to you Col. Sanders) and not returning kick-off's. I know Bill will use the best guy for the job, but Slater and Lewis are also good return candidates.

That said, it seems to me he did have one nasty PI call last year, but I can't for the life of me remember which game.

A couple from last year and the year before. This has nothing at all about not likeing Ellis, it has everytrhing to do with believeing that the Patriots should have better CB's. Ellis just isn't that good. All the excuses about lack of a pass rush and being left alone is bull. If the Patriots are a SB quality team they will need better DB play. If the #1 shouldn't be a #1 you find a number 1. If there are better DB's to be had replacing the old #1 and #2 with newer better players should be the priority of the team. Ellis Hobbs will thrive as a nickle back this year. He will struggle again if he is lined up against the other team's #1 or #2 reciever.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Point After Blog Archive League official rules Hobbs call correct

From 2007

So much for the NFL owing Ellis Hobbs another one. The league’s VP of officiating, Mike Pereira, said on the NFL Network that Hobbs should have been flagged for the 40-yard penalty on Reggie Wayne Sunday.

“I see it as a cutoff,” Pereira said. “It’s one of the six categories of pass interference and I’ll tell you why. When the contact first occurs between the receiver and defender, has the defender turned around and is he making a legitimate play on the ball? No. He’s not until after this contact occurs. Now he does eventually get his head around, but this is pass interference, because this initial contact with Ellis not playing the ball and Reggie playing the ball makes this pass interference on Ellis Hobbs and the correct call.

“You’ve got to look at the first point of initial contact. If at that point the defender has turend around and is making a play on the ball, that’s a clean play. But if he’s playing the receiver, not the ball, that’s a cutoff. If there’s contact, then (the defender) turns and makes a play on the ball, that’s pass interference, and that’s how I see this play.”

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 8th, 2007 at 5:41 pm and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Last year against the Chargers a 32 yard PI.
Sporting News Today - October 14, 2008

Defensive Pass Interference (Fewest)
DAL - 4
NE - 3
ATL - 3
CHI - 3
TB - 2
The Bucs have a defensive backfield that knows how to stay clean -- they haven't had a PI call since Week 8. Ellis Hobbs has two of New England's three. Anthony Henry has two of Dallas' four -- there's one from a fellow by the name of Pacman, but he's out of the picture.

Smarter Stats: Penalties for Potential Playoff Teams - The League at washingtonpost.com

A couple from last year and the year before. This has nothing at all about not likeing Ellis, it has everytrhing to do with believeing that the Patriots should have better CB's. Ellis just isn't that good. All the excuses about lack of a pass rush and being left alone is bull. If the Patriots are a SB quality team they will need better DB play. If the #1 shouldn't be a #1 you find a number 1. If there are better DB's to be had replacing the old #1 and #2 with newer better players should be the priority of the team. Ellis Hobbs will thrive as a nickle back this year. He will struggle again if he is lined up against the other team's #1 or #2 reciever.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Point After Blog Archive League official rules Hobbs call correct

From 2007

So much for the NFL owing Ellis Hobbs another one. The league’s VP of officiating, Mike Pereira, said on the NFL Network that Hobbs should have been flagged for the 40-yard penalty on Reggie Wayne Sunday.

“I see it as a cutoff,” Pereira said. “It’s one of the six categories of pass interference and I’ll tell you why. When the contact first occurs between the receiver and defender, has the defender turned around and is he making a legitimate play on the ball? No. He’s not until after this contact occurs. Now he does eventually get his head around, but this is pass interference, because this initial contact with Ellis not playing the ball and Reggie playing the ball makes this pass interference on Ellis Hobbs and the correct call.

“You’ve got to look at the first point of initial contact. If at that point the defender has turend around and is making a play on the ball, that’s a clean play. But if he’s playing the receiver, not the ball, that’s a cutoff. If there’s contact, then (the defender) turns and makes a play on the ball, that’s pass interference, and that’s how I see this play.”

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 8th, 2007 at 5:41 pm and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Last year against the Chargers a 32 yard PI.
Sporting News Today - October 14, 2008

Defensive Pass Interference (Fewest)
DAL - 4
NE - 3
ATL - 3
CHI - 3
TB - 2
The Bucs have a defensive backfield that knows how to stay clean -- they haven't had a PI call since Week 8. Ellis Hobbs has two of New England's three. Anthony Henry has two of Dallas' four -- there's one from a fellow by the name of Pacman, but he's out of the picture.

Smarter Stats: Penalties for Potential Playoff Teams - The League at washingtonpost.com

Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm not seeing how this defends your premise that Ellis's style of play or mannerism results in more PI calls than others. Has he led the league in these calls the past few years? And how many of these calls were not legit? The last one I remember was in the the 2006 AFCCG.

I remember when many on this board were calling for Asante to be the nickel (or worse) back before the 2006 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe