PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2007 Trade With 49'rs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we are on it, I would have preferred David Harris instead of Merriweather but beggars can't be choosers.

Harris has been great for us, IMO the steal of the draft.

TBH though Merriweather will probably be great once he gets his chance, I really liked him before that draft and IMO he'll be a good safety.

Not Harris though.;)

I liked the trade at the time and argued strenuously with those who complained that the Patriots didn't get enough value based on point charts. I thought the pick would be in the 10-15 range since SF was outscored by so much in 2006 but wound up with not too bad a record. Teams that do that typically regress. In fact, SF can be considered fortunate to even have 3 wins since they haven't played a game yet where they looked like anything other than lucky to be ahead.

If you guys end up with McFadden:

violent085.gif

Count me in the "a 4th and next years 4th?", head shaking crowd. I knew that the SF pick would be far better than the #28, by probably 10-12 slots, but waiting a year and only getting a 4th in the present, made me wonder if we sold low. I liked it, but thought we sold low. I guess the FO knew SF would stink. I didn't think they'd be world beaters, but they were a young team showing some promise, and had added some free agents in the off season. I guess we should never doubt this teams management.

I liked the trade at the time and argued strenuously with those who complained that the Patriots didn't get enough value based on point charts. I thought the pick would be in the 10-15 range since SF was outscored by so much in 2006 but wound up with not too bad a record. Teams that do that typically regress. In fact, SF can be considered fortunate to even have 3 wins since they haven't played a game yet where they looked like anything other than lucky to be ahead.

Remember, they started the season 2-0 too. They beat Arizona 20-17, and St Louis 17-16.

Last edited:
BB said after the draft it was a value decision, pick #28 is near the end of the first round. He and SP figured that the odds were better that the pick would be lower than 28 and provide more value, I doubt the saw a 3-13 season coming.

Essentionally the Patriots traded pick #28 for one of the greatest seasons ever by a WR (Moss) and a potential probowl running back (McFadden). McFadden and Moss for pick #28, say that out loud, guaranteed to make you smile.

In retrospect I have been as critical of the 2007 draft as anyone but even though they haven't got an ounce of production from the college rookies, Welker and Moss have been unreal. The 50+ offensive lineman they draft raised the level of competition, even though none of them made ithe team, look at how well the line is playing this year. Maybe Kaczur needed a kick in the pants.

Random Note - How about some props for the Hoch! I totally forgot that Neal was out.

Well we are on it, I would have preferred David Harris instead of Merriweather but beggars can't be choosers.

Hate to break it to you, but htere's absolutely no way the Pats are drafting McFadden.

Count me in the "a 4th and next years 4th?", head shaking crowd. I knew that the SF pick would be far better than the #28, by probably 10-12 slots, but waiting a year and only getting a 4th in the present, made me wonder if we sold low. I liked it, but thought we sold low. I guess the FO knew SF would stink. I didn't think they'd be world beaters, but they were a young team showing some promise, and had added some free agents in the off season. I guess we should never doubt this teams management.

I'm with you. At the time I thought they got terrible 2007 value for the pick. It's great to trade with an eye to the future, but I thought they could have used more help in the present.

With them cutting their 4th round pick already though, I think that says a lot about the fate of any other rookies on this team.

I also thought that the SF pick would likely be in the mid-teens, with a chance of being even higher as SF looked like they could contend for the NFC West with a strong offseason.

In retrospect, not so much.

Hate to break it to you, but htere's absolutely no way the Pats are drafting McFadden.

I guess you have a better chance of being right than wrong, McFadden was more of analogy. I think they will trade back but for the sake of artistic license lets say McFadden is the player he is hyped to be and becomes a 1,000 yard rusher for the next 10 years. SF traded the #28 pick for Randy Moss and pro-bowl running back.

if the Patriots trade back then it could be even worse, 3 players for 1 or maybe even 4 for 1.

Sure there is. Dont be shortsighted. If BB gets the #2 pick overall, and has a gamebreaker he can tap, he will tap the kid.

Now, that could be McFadden, but it could be Dorsey, Long, Long or Ellis, too. I dont discount any of them. They are all elite talents at a level that will make any roster in the NFL and improve the team.

In terms of need McFadden kind of makes sense, regardless of what you think of Moroney. If he bumps Morris or Eckel off the bottom of the roster, I'm not sure that's the start of the end of the dynasty. And if it bumps Stallworth off the roster, to free space for the salary, I think the team will learn how to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes