PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Willis said to have run 4.37 40 at Pro Day (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kiss Pat Willis goodbye

After these numbers, he ain't falling...

I have only a pedestrian knowledge of the draft, but it seems like EVERYONE's stock is rising due to their measurables...well, they can't ALL get picked before us.

I'm thinking that only 23 players will be selected before pick #24. In fact, I'm almost certain of it.

I have only a pedestrian knowledge of the draft, but it seems like EVERYONE's stock is rising due to their measurables...well, they can't ALL get picked before us.

I'm thinking that only 23 players will be selected before pick #24. In fact, I'm almost certain of it.

Ding ding ding....somebody good and talented has to fall. Be it Willis or Nelson - who knows?

We know what we are doing!

Nobody does it better, but we really do need another championship to reconfirm the above.

Steward Bradley in the 3rd is who they should draft. Or anthony waters in the 4th.

Yeah that will really improve the talent behind Bruschi...:rolleyes:

Let me guess you would like a WR/RB/TE in the 1st.:eek:

49er's @ pick 11: Fox Sports has Adam Carriker as the first LB selected. Mike Nolan is a defensive coach first and foremost, but they have no WRs this year with the loss of A. Bryant. In addition, they've recently switched to a 3-4, and probably could use additional personnel for the D-line with Bryant Young getting way up there in age. No guarantee of an LB here.
That is a highly possible scenario, but Carriker is a big guy, and he is the top 3-4 DE this draft, not linebacker.

After these numbers, he ain't falling...

Where are you getting this "report" from? Is it NFL.com? ESPN? SI? Your brother? Neighbor?

It's probably close to the speed he actually runs, I saw him run down that great running back fro Arkansas, Darren McFadden, it was an amazing play. McFadden is very fast ! Saw it on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hear what you're saying -- those are amazing numbers -- but people tend to forget how far great players can fall, because teams tend to draft for need, not best-player-available.

Looking at Fox Sport's latest mock draft (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6571514), who do they project taking a LB before us?

49er's @ pick 11: Fox Sports has Adam Carriker as the first LB selected. Mike Nolan is a defensive coach first and foremost, but they have no WRs this year with the loss of A. Bryant. In addition, they've recently switched to a 3-4, and probably could use additional personnel for the D-line with Bryant Young getting way up there in age. No guarantee of an LB here.

Rams @ pick 13: Fox Sports has Willis going here. The Rams are an interesting team right now -- I don't know what they might take.

Steelers @ pick 15: I just don't see it. Too many issues at WR, DL, and DB. The Steelers have always been able to do well with JAGs at LB -- they're to LBs what Denver is to RBs.

Giants @ pick 20: LB is a weak point, but so is DB and OL. Maybe.

Honestly, I could envision a scenario where only 1 out of those 4 takes a LB. Not saying that's going to happen, but it easily could. Great players can definately fall in the first round due to team needs -- look at Wilfork as a prime example.

You forgot Carolina. They need a replacement for Dan Morgan.

Don't be so sure about that. You just never know. Just sayin' that's all.

I didn't see us picking him anyway, I'm going with CB first pick and the safety from Utah(Weddle I think?) as a surprise pick at 28, unless Nelson falls to us at 24.

Re: Patrick Willis said to have run 4.37 40 at Pro Day

P Willis is the most talented inside linebacker in the last 4-5 years. He is better than Robert Thomas of UCLA, EJ Henderson of Maryland or Vilma of Miami. After him, there is straight out junk to chose from.

Yeah, you MIGHT get someone that can contribute on special teams or back up, but never play a major role on the team. I hardly think that is what a GM looks for when he goes into the draft. A GM needs to find the players that can contribute on the field rather than play the upside game.

For those that saw the senior bowl, Willis dominated even till the end when the were getting blown out. I don't care what a stop watch has to say, the guys get to the ball carrier. What isn't to like about having a motor like his and how likes to make big hits.

IF (there is not a chance) that he drops to the Patriots, i think they have to consider the pick.

I don't trust the 40 times at the campus workouts.
  • Calvin Johnson runs a 4.35 at 239 lbs. and he is a freak of nature...top player in the draft.
  • Patrick Willis runs a 4.37 at about the same weight? I think someone was a little slow starting the stopwatch.
That being said...going by his 4.51 at the combine and what you can see on tape, he is still plenty fast. Would look just fine as a Pat but wouldn't trade up very far from #24 to get him.

This is accurate. In the hysteria over Willis' 40 times, the OP fails to realize there are now about 30 players projected to go into those 23 slots before ours. Happens every year.

Last edited:

This is accurate. In the hysteria over Willis' 40 times, the OP fails to realize there are now about 30 players projected to go into that 23 slots before ours. Happens every year.

truth .....everyone just gets nervous that nobody we want will be available...regardless i think we will end up with 2 guys we REALLY like...i just cant wait ...i get more excited about the draft then christmas these days !:singing:

Re: Patrick Willis said to have run 4.37 40 at Pro Day

Ironically, he originally wrote Williams and corrected himself :

"Sorry, Was interviewing a Colorado player so i wrote Patrick Williams (WR for them) His college teammate... 4.37 and 4.38 he said Willis ran today."

Anyway, I'm just repeating what I read from what has been a very reliable source in the past.

lol- I was gonna say... If Willis ran that fast, they would be talking about him as the the #1 overall. :D

Good. Huddlereport has him a 4th rounder.

Says he isn't that "fast". Maybe he's slower during games?

I don't know if he's big enough to play ILB for a 3-4 anyway.

Steward Bradley in the 3rd is who they should draft. Or anthony waters in the 4th.

Waters hasn't even shown he's recovered from his injury yet. You keep banging this drum that a team should waste a 4th rounder on him and he's not even done any of the work outs. In fact, there are rumors floating around that he won't be ready for his April 3rd work out and that they may try and push it back.

I don't trust the 40 times at the campus workouts.
  • Calvin Johnson runs a 4.35 at 239 lbs. and he is a freak of nature...top player in the draft.
  • Patrick Willis runs a 4.37 at about the same weight? I think someone was a little slow starting the stopwatch.
That being said...going by his 4.51 at the combine and what you can see on tape, he is still plenty fast. Would look just fine as a Pat but wouldn't trade up very far from #24 to get him.

I agree, those numbers can't be right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back