PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Willis said to have run 4.37 40 at Pro Day (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This falls under the "lies, damn lies and statistics" category:

Patrick Willis
  • 40 = 4.37
  • Short Shuttle = 4.37
  • 3 Cone = 7.10

Justin Warren
  • 40 = 4.90 (must have thought it was a sack race)
  • Short Shuttle = 4.28

HB Blades
  • 40 = 4.69
  • Short Shuttle = 4.36
  • 3 Cone = 6.98

Just goes to show you that the numbers (even if accurate) don't tell the whole story. If the 40 time is enough to boost his stock, the pedestrian short shuttle and 3-cone times (important for an ILB) should raise some questions. More than anything, I think they reinforce the impression that you get watching his games...fast, quick, strong...plays high, sometimes slow to find the ball.

1st round pick? definitely.
Top 20? possibly, depends on how the draft falls.
Trade up to get him? probably not.

He said it was Willis all along, he just typed Williams accidently at first.

Also confirmed by Profootballtalk.....they said he ran it a second time,just to show it wasn't a fluke.

In PFT's latest mock(4.0),willis is projected as being the highest drafted defensive player at:

#FIVE!!!!!!!!!

Patrick Willis' Pro Day

Well, it looks now like Patrick Willis will not be available to the Patriots with pick #24.

Gil Brandt reports on NFL.com that at his Pro Day on March 20th he ran the 40 in 4.37 and 4.38 respectively.

Four Three's for a linebacker that is 6'1", 237 lbs??????

He just moved up a bunch.

Re: Patrick Willis' Pro Day

Top 10, no doubt.

He dropped 5 lbs. from his Combine weigh-in, but turned in slower change of direction marks.

I wouldn't say that any of this changes his position that much. Teams are going to draft for their greatest need and the best player to fill that need.

He could have been a top 10 before this or he could drop to under the top 15.

I wouldn't say that any of this changes his position that much. Teams are going to draft for their greatest need and the best player to fill that need.

He could have been a top 10 before this or he could drop to under the top 15.

Umm, you assume that teams will be reasonable and thoughtful with their picks - how foolish of you! Haven't you ever heard of Detroit? Or Oakland? :D

He dropped 5 lbs. from his Combine weigh-in, but turned in slower change of direction marks.

Box-
Where did you get that Willis turned in slower change of direction marks?

Combine:
40: 4.51 (10-1.53, 20-2.62)
20 yard shuttle: 4.46
3-cone: 7.23

Pro-Day
40: 4.37 (10-1.52, 20-2.54)
20 yard shuttle: 4.37
3 cone: 7.10

Looking at that, he improved on all 3.

Box-

Combine:

Pro-Day

DOH! The arithmetically challenged thank you for the correction!

Box-

Combine:

Pro-Day

He just doesn't like Willis and is trying to find anything that will back his claims:D J.K.

Kind of off point but the whole thing reminded me of a rant I have been holding in.

Whenever I see coverage of a Pro Day there are a series of fat old white guys who have eating cheeseburgers 3 times a day for the past 30 years squinting at an outdated stopwatch. All of them are lined up at various angles in some proximity to the finish line.

The whole setup seems fraught with error yet it seems to have big impact on the overall process. At least at the combine they use electronic timers which have been used in the Olympics for at least 20 years. These methods are embarrassing for a multi-billion dollar business. Can you imagine Dow Chemical or Exxon measuring their products using similar techniques?

Last edited:
Kind of off point but the whole thing reminded me of a rant I have been holding in.

Whenever I see coverage of a Pro Day there are a series of fat old white guys who have eaten cheeseburgers 3 times a day for the last 30 years squinting at an outdated stopwatch. All of them are lined up at various angles in some proximity to the finish line.

The whole setup seems fraught with error yet it seems to have big impact on the overall process. At least at the combine they use electronic timers which have been used in the Olympics for at least 20 years. These methods are embarrassing for a multi-billion dollar business. Can you imagine Dow Chemical or Exxon measuring their products using similar techniques?

Yea, it's pathatic. That's why I don't really go by combine, or ProDay numbers, and pretty much just go by what I see on film. Combine numbers should only be used to backup something you witness on the field, and shouldn't make you change your mind on a player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back