PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat’s 1st round pick prediction thread.

For all the talk about trading back, bear in mind that they could end up trading up with the two first rounders or with 43 and pick up a 4th rounder and/or 5th rounder as part of the trade. For example trading 23 + 63 to move up to the Cowboys 19 and getting a 4th and 5th back from them. They have a lot of day 3 pickS they probably don’t need.

Edit: this is just an example I used because I know the Cowboys have plenty of day 3 pickS. Don’t @ me about whether the trade has value or not :)

Last edited:
For all the talk about trading back, bear in mind that they could end up trading up with the two first rounders or with 43 and pick up a 4th rounder and/or 5th rounder as part of the trade. For example trading 23 + 63 to move up to the Cowboys 19 and getting a 4th and 5th back from them. They have a lot of day 3 pickS they probably don’t need.

Edit: this is just an example I used because I know the Cowboys have plenty of day 3 pickS. Don’t @ me about whether the trade has value or not :)

I agree. They have a ****ton of flexibility to move around to any place (outside the top 10 realistically speaking) in this draft. I dont think I have been looking forward to a draft in a long time. Maybe since 2011...

I agree. They have a ****ton of flexibility to move around to any place (outside the top 10 realistically speaking) in this draft. I dont think I have been looking forward to a draft in a long time. Maybe since 2011...

You realise that with B.B., you’ll likely end up disappointed. A center and Christian Kirk in the first round, random safety at 43, special teamer in the 3rd etc.

You realise that with B.B., you’ll likely end up disappointed. A center and Christian Kirk in the first round, random safety at 43, special teamer in the 3rd etc.

Still makes for a fun 3 weeks of mock drafts, speculation and dreaming. :D

To be honest.. the Shelton move alone made my offseason. Unless something shocking happens this was already a success.

Still makes for a fun 3 weeks of mock drafts, speculation and dreaming. :D

To be honest.. the Shelton move alone made my offseason. Unless something shocking happens this was already a success.

You’re right of course, I’m excited about draft weekend too. And actually, not doing the usual amount of research has been a good thing for me because I feel like there’s less chance of being disappointed by seeing B.B. pass on a particular favourite.

That is exactly why I have shifted from trying to guess what the Patriots will do; to a mode where I live in a fantasy filled delusion of what I want them to do.

Powerful shift, the mind builds walls when it has to.

Have fun peoples

Lamar Jackson. Might need to move up ahead of the Cardinals but there's my guess.

You jest, but James Daniels is the most prototype Patriots center in forever. Iowa connection. Great size. Perfect technique. Excellent athleticism. Look at those jumps and agility tests. Great arm length, and the best mirror drill I've ever seen at the Combine. He's an instant pro bowler. I like Andrews, but Daniels can be really special.

Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 6' 3⅜" 53
Weight 306 lbs 65
Wingspan 80¼" 94
Arm Length 33¾" 87
Hand Size 9½" 27
Vertical Jump 30½" 80
Broad Jump 108" 86
3-Cone Drill 7.29s 94
20 Yard Shuttle 4.4s 94
Bench Press 21 reps

I also love Kirk in this offense. He's often referred to as OBJ lite, and I don't think he's actually that far behind. Yes, his Combine was mediocre at best, but in the field he's actually incredible.

I'm all aboard the safety train anyway. So I'm immune to your dastardly taunts. :p

What the instant gratification me wants to see:
- Vander Eche at 23
- Hubbard at 31

What the long-term me wants to see: If there is a QB they really like and think can be a long term star starting QB, they need to select him if possible. They may never get such an opportunity again. He can sit on the bench for 2-3 years and learn under the best.

What the practical me wants to see: It's likely they won't be able to get the QB they want now, so keep this free gift until they can. Trade out for a mid round pick and a first rounder in 2019 which has the potential to be even higher than 23.

An interesting side note. This is the 4th time that Belichick has traded a player for a 1st round pick. The previous 3 times, they wound up picking someone with that acquired pick and trading their own 1st rounder (always the lower pick) into the subsequent year.

- 2003, the Bledsoe pick was packaged to trade up for Ty Warren, while they traded their own pick for a 2003 second and a 2004 first. With some more trades, wound up being Eugene Wilson and Vince Wilfork.

- 2007, the Deion Branch pick was used on Brandon Meriweather, while they traded their own pick for a 2007 fourth (which was then traded for Randy Moss) and a 2008 first which through more trades wound up being Jerod Mayo and Shawn Crable.

- 2011, the Richard Seymour pick was used on Nate Solder, while they traded their own pick for a 2011 second and a 2012 first. The former became Shane Vereen while the latter was packaged to move up to take Chandler Jones.

Harold Landry.

You say that you can't find spots for rookies. You also say that you don't see a lot of starting jobs available.

Before discussing, I would point out that draft choices are usually for future starters and even future backups. For example, surely we might need a starting DE next year, or a starting LB, or even a starting guard.

With regard to 2018, warn I look at my WAG roster projections, I see at least the following possibilities. I don't know how many might make the team. I would need to know who is injured between now and the beginning of the season. Only 4 were drafted last year plus Cooks. However, I believe 3 UDFA's made the team, so there were slots.
========
14 POSSIBILITIES (my WAG's currently in those roster spots)
QB3 (no one, this would be a developmental roster spot)
KR/WR5 (Patterson)
TE2 (Allan)
TE3 (Hollister/Tye)
RB4 (Gillislie/Hill)
RB5 (no one, this would be a developmental roster spot)
DE4 (Lee)
DE5 (no one, this would be a developmental roster spot)
LB 3 (Rivers if he is healthy)
LB 4 (Flowers)
LB 5 (Roberts/Langi)
CB 5 (C Jones)
S 4 (Richards)
ST (as always, a top STer would have a shot)

I see up to 10 possible roster openings for rookies for 2018, several of which spots may become immediate needs by 2019 if they're not addressed in 2018. The only unit that currently doesn't appear to have an opening until 2020 (or even possibly 2021) is interior DL.

That’s my mistake, sorry, I thought it was Roquan. Well the same applies I suppose.

Roquan could be available for a trade up in the top 10-15. Chubb is gone within the top 5. There’s potential for Bill to trade up for roquan, very little chance for chubb.

Question. Is Da’Ron Payne out of the question? Malcom Brown is out of contract at the end of the season and this team needs someone effective against the run who can also get some pass rush from the 3-tech (think Akiem Hicks). It might not be the biggest need and I still think LB or OT is favourite but thinking outside the box...

Bryan Broddaeus who hosts the Cowboys draft podcast The Draft Show (one of my avourite draft podcasts because a: they cover back of the draft prospects as well as the top guys and B: they ave Dane Brugler twice a week) said on today’s odcast that he’s hearing rumours about us and Lamar Jackson. Bear in mind that Broddaeus is an ex-scout and is well connected.

He also said that quite a few teams have Maurice Hurst off their board entirely.

Question. Is Da’Ron Payne out of the question? Malcom Brown is out of contract at the end of the season and this team needs someone effective against the run who can also get some pass rush from the 3-tech (think Akiem Hicks). It might not be the biggest need and I still think LB or OT is favourite but thinking outside the box...

IDK. Brown certainly hasn't been an exciting player, but also not mediocre at all. He's been reliable, consistent and more than competent - three seasons of 3 sacks and 49 tackles, including 2.5 sacks and 49 tackles in only 13 games last season, and really without a legit NT working alongside him.

According to Miguel, Brown's 2019 5th-year option should be around $7M (same as Shelton's). At that level, it seem that a 2-yr or 3-yr extension at an APY around $4.5M might be possible.

Lamar Jackson and Maurice Hurst

Belichick likes to go for rare athletes in the first and Jackson is definitely that. MecDaniels thought he could turn Tebow into a good NFL starter just imagine what he thinks he could do with Jackson.

Belichick also goes after highly touted prospects who drop due to a variety of pre draft concerns, Gronkowski/ injury, Easely/injury, Wilfork/ personal-marijuana use....Maurice Hurst may well be the best DL in this class but he’s dropped due to the heart concerns, if he’s still in the board late in the first I can see Belichick rolling the dice to get an interior pass rusher.

The first round of this draft is really volatile, and Belichick seemed to allude to that during his press conference, as well as suggesting that everyone was in play, so it’s impossible to have a good idea of what they are thinking, but I think that these are prospects that I think they would go after if they are available.

MecDaniels thought he could turn Tebow into a good NFL starter

Yeah. IDK that we actually know that. It's not as if GMs and owners have never insisted on making selections that the HC didn't necessarily agree with.

Yeah. IDK that we actually know that. It's not as if GMs and owners have never insisted on making selections that the HC didn't necessarily agree with.
Mayfield,Rosen,Jackson,Rudolph,White,Kanoff, Litton in that order for Patriot QBs

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back