PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Defense -Not as Bad as You Think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look man....STOP using facts and get back to jerking your knees...this rational analysis is starting to really pi$$ me off...:steamed::steamed::steamed:

The facts are the Pats are giving up a league high 475+ yds per game, are last in the league, and this is against the likes of the Bills, Dolphins, and Raiders.

:eek:

The facts are the Pats are giving up a league high 475+ yds per game, are last in the league, and this is against the likes of the Bills, Dolphins, and Raiders.

The other fact is they're 3-1 and giving up 3 points more then the 'great' Jet Defense in the end all about points.

Last edited:

No one asked you a dyam thing but since you opened your big mouth and busted in unannounced with that flame, I have to ask you to give us your opinion on another subject...after all, you just flamed a response that has nothing to do with YOU, respond to this...who is the better quarterback...Brady or Sanchez....just answer THAT question instead of barging off into other threads unannounced and trolling other subjects.

The other fact is they're 3-1 and giving up 3 points more then the 'great' Jet Defense in the end all about points.

the hilarity is he uses the Raiders as one of "the likes of" when HIS Jets just got humiliated off the planet by the same team....amazing stupidity.

Last edited:
the hilarity is he uses the Raiders as one of "the likes of" when HIS Jets just got humiliated off the planet by the same team....amazing stupidity.

Home opener, ref assisted win, you would know, the Pats get the same treatment.

And watch the personal attacks, no need for that.

Last edited:
Re: Pep Johnson "more than pleased" with the pass rush

I only have this for Pep.
funny-gifs-wtf.gif

Brady or Sanchez...who would YOU pick if you were starting a franchise?

simple question, TRollFan 1

Brady or Sanchez...who would YOU pick if you were starting a franchise?

simple question, TRollFan 1

Brady is going to be 35 yrs old, why would anybody want to start a franchise with him? What is your obsession on this topic? Again, watch the personal attacks, if I get warned, I expect the mods to be fair. It is Jets week, not sure how I am trolling.

That's right, we're all idiots while you are a paragon of football intelligence. Congratulations DI, you just set the record for self congratulatory pomposity. BTW you might want to get your shoulder checked, I'm sure its dislocated from all the pats on the back you give yourself.

You and the other homers have been doing your usual acts of jumping all over anyone who dares notice a problem with the team, and you continue to make personal attacks on me rather than addressing the points at hand. Furthermore, my post wasn't self-congratulatory, Ken. It was a post pointing out that the homers such as yourself continue to spew the same garbage you did last year.

You should be checking a mirror if you want to find a pompous ass on this site, Ken.

Last edited:

You and the other homers have been doing your usual acts of jumping all over anyone who dares notice a problem with the team, and you continue to make personal attacks on me rather than addressing the points at hand.

You should be checking a mirror if you want to find a pompous ass on this site, Ken.

LOL PedanticFanKen still up to his old tricks?

This is an awful defense without talent. You don't win argument by using relativism. Philadelphia has nothing to do with the Patriots. That being said, the Eagles have had some game where they have played defense, the Pats have had none. But, once again fanboys, this week is an opportunity for the Pats. Poor offensive line of the Jets, limited running game, adequate wide receivers and average Quarterback. If he pulls a Chad Henne and comes in and beats you on your home field. Well, everyone won't have to schedule around Sunday's in January.

It's a competition. Relativism is literally the ONLY barometer. The other teams in the league have everything to do with the Patriots, because they're the teams you have to win against!

Look at it this way: Our offense can put up 30 points against any team in the league, and beyond that, we expect it to at this point. Yet, if that same offense played our defense, and put up over 30 points, we'd all think that our defense was awful and it's the end of the world.

It's Jet week here and YOU just got banned at YOUR own site,JI...and you have the gall to log on here and threaten members? Everybody knows your schtick,Ray Ray....come into the light and come clean...I already have YOUR posts from two years ago where you emphatically claim that Mark Sanchez is ALREADY a far superior quarterback to Tom Brady and WILL win multiple Super Bowls as Jet quarterback. Why make yourself a total internet embarrassment...just come clean and tell the whole board here your exact feelings about Mark Sanchez...it IS Jets week after all...other Jet fans don't hold back here...why are you so bashful about admitting what you have ALREADY posted and what exists as hard copy evidence? Obviously, you have set up shop here tonight since being banned at JI for your insensitive remarks about Myra Kraft...did you think you could log on here and begin threatening members like you do there?

The Jets were down 14 points in the 4th quarter at home. Only won because the Cowboys were missing their top 2 corners, Romo couldn't fall down correctly, the Cowboys couldn't punt block and Dez Bryant decided that tackling after an interception is overrated. Even with that Romogeddon late, the Jets surrendered 24 points.

But the Jags game (also at home) was awesome, no? Despite facing Luke McCown, doing a reverse Kurt Warner and bagging groceries now, with his top 2 receivers hurt, the Jets dominated their way to a staggering 15-3 halftime lead. But a win is a win.

Big time effort against the Raiders. Held them to 0-8 on 3rd down. Let me repeat...every time the Raiders faced a 3rd down, they ended up kicking after the play. So how did they give up 380 yds and 34 points? Stupidity. They blitzed needlessly and allowed the Raiders to run outside for big plays. Stay patient, prevent the big play and the Jets are 3-0. Can't allow those pesky wins to get in the way of puffing out our chest and crashing the backfield at every opportunity.

Don't even need to analyze the Ravens game. Two things stood out though:
- Rexy calling a timeout AFTER a replay just to yell at the umpire
- Sanchez mentally checking out in the 4th quarter (redefining the term "chuck-n-duck") and Keller pooping himself whenever Ray Lewis got near him

This is why everyone outside NY hates the Jets. Get handed a game and they act like they dominated. Beat up on a wounded kid and they pound their chest like a big man. Get outplayed and they act like it is no big deal. Get smacked in the mouth and they tell people to leave them alone while they suck their thumbs. The Jets can't lose by enough points on Sunday.

Last edited:
It's Jet week here and YOU just got banned at YOUR own site,JI...and you have the gall to log on here and threaten members? Everybody knows your schtick,Ray Ray....come into the light and come clean...I already have YOUR posts from two years ago where you emphatically claim that Mark Sanchez is ALREADY a far superior quarterback to Tom Brady and WILL win multiple Super Bowls as Jet quarterback. Why make yourself a total internet embarrassment...just come clean and tell the whole board here your exact feelings about Mark Sanchez...it IS Jets week after all...other Jet fans don't hold back here...why are you so bashful about admitting what you have ALREADY posted and what exists as hard copy evidence? Obviously, you have set up shop here tonight since being banned at JI for your insensitive remarks about Myra Kraft...did you think you could log on here and begin threatening members like you do there?

I didn't know that a J-E-S-T fan could ever be banned at JI, for anything.

That's right, we're all idiots while you are a paragon of football intelligence. Congratulations DI, you just set the record for self congratulatory pomposity. BTW you might want to get your shoulder checked, I'm sure its dislocated from all the pats on the back you give yourself.

Can you recommend someone?

You mean the 3-1 Bills and the 2-2 Raiders... I'm sorry, how many yards did the Jets give up to the McFadden???? 171 rushing ?? *ROFLMAO* and you have the audacity to come in and try and say the Pats defense is bad..

I have news for you. The Pats held the Raiders to 19 points while the Raiders thrashed the Jets for 34.

Most people realize that the number of points you allow is more important than the number of yards you allow. Since it is POINTS that decides who wins and who loses.

I seem to remember a few months ago before the new CBA was agreed and signed that many of the more respectable pundits were prognosticating about the effects of the shortened off/pre-season. A common thought was that the teams that would benefit most from the abbreviate preparation time would be the Packers and the Patriots, primarily because both teams were pretty well stocked and didn't have to accommodate new players and build new chemistry (apart from rookies of course). For the rest of the league no such stability was available, especially with the coaching roundabout and the need to fill obvious squad holes with free agency. While two teams benefited from familiarity and well oiled precision the other teams would invariable suffer inconsistency of form, break down in plays and miscommunication. Some pundits also forewarned the increase in player injuries as a further agent of destabilization.

Now that we are four weeks into the season many of those predictions have been proved right - especially the inconsistencies. The one that doesn't ring true though is the one that relates to the Patriots - although I believe it has been very true on the offense. But wait - the prediction was based on the Patriots more or less keeping their 2010 defense as well and we know that the the changes in the DL and secondary were both unexpected and substantial, meaning that the Pats D like most other teams in the league is largely unrehearsed and inconsistent. Pepper Johnston's comment about the D being beyond his expectations seems to confirm this, as does Carter's suggestion that it is getting much closer to where they want to be. I interpret that as the team being 3-4 weeks behind or roughly where you would expect them to be at the end of pre-season. This is not blind homerism but hopefully an objective rationalization of the evidence before us. Our D is not good, but by the same measure the same can be said of more than 3/4 of the league, just look at the record yardage in each of the four weeks (which is declining as teams get more practiced). I am sure that the disciplined clubs will improve - and some even dramatically. I have high hopes that the Pats will be one of them.

Looking around the NFL then the only team to not suffer major changes on both sides of the ball is the Packers, and to some degree the Lions, which explains their 4-0 starts. Teams with few changes in the D are the Ravens and Jets, who remain top tier defenses, yet changes in their offensive team has resulted in the inconsistencies that yield losses. It will still take another 3-4 weeks for the real teams to emerge, and as they improve I expect some of them to hand losses to the teams currently boasting perfect records.

In closing I have to hand it to three teams who have disproved those predictions and exceeded expectations:

The Bills - the Bengals game apart they have played very well with a low budget team of almost unknowns.

The Titans - 3-1 without Chris Johnson contributing much in return for his $$$; I always respected Hasselback and he is proving to be a quality QB once more. But again the passing game is only exposing the unpreparedness of opposing defenses.

The Panthers - the one that deserves the biggest acclaim as they managed to disprove everything I have said above by completely changing their Offense, going with a rookie QB, who I thought would struggle and bringing in 2 TE's who are being overshadowed to a large degree by Steve Smith (by the way Olsen and Shockey have some pretty respectable numbers at 400 yds between them)

Last edited:
A -VERY GOOD ARTICLE- on exactly the phenomenon that a few of us have been commenting on.

It's interested that we are dead last (32nd) outside the redzone in opposing QBR, and inside the redzone we are rated 1st in the NFL for the same measure.

For those constantly droning on about the "eye test"........ it might be time for some glasses, cuz your vision sucks ;)

Obvioisly, there is much room for improvement, but with this offense, this defense does not need to be great, it needs to limit that damage (points = damage) that opposing offenses do and let our offense do what it needs to. Watching a FG instead of a TD, or getting an int in the RZ, or the stout goalline stand may feel as euphoric as watching teams marching willy-nilly down the field feels frustrating, but trust me.......... their level of importance isn't even comparable.

One is just frustrating to watch as a fan of the team, the other actually effects the outcome of a game.

Last edited:
Mayo's injury might be viewed as an improvement in the passing D.

In 4 games this season:

Targeted: 22
Completions: 19
Comp%: 86.4
YPC: 8.9
Yards: 170
YAC: 140
TD: 2
NFL Passer Rating: 129.2

Gee, how can we replace that???

Mayo's injury might be viewed as an improvement in the passing D.

In 4 games this season:

Targeted: 22
Completions: 19
Comp%: 86.4
YPC: 8.9
Yards: 170
YAC: 140
TD: 2
NFL Passer Rating: 129.2

Gee, how can we replace that???

Where are those stats from?

Status