PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Partly sunny with winds of up to 30MPH expected in London on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Partly Sunny with Winds of up to 30MPH expected in London Sunday

Not just a feature at all, in a strange relationship that i don't quite understand the roof and the arch hold each other up. Remove either one and the other would collapse.

umm, if u look closely the arch has cables connected to the top of the roof, hence it supports the roof

though if the cables were cut, the arch would stand

I didn't watch the other games played there over the last couple years, but from the highlights I thought Wembley was a dome. It sure seems like it's enclosed.

The wind will have very little affect on the game, and no the roof doesnt close .. How many Americans are planned to make the journey over here? and what are the thoughts of Americans on the stadium itself? impressive 85,000 seater?

I didn't watch the other games played there over the last couple years, but from the highlights I thought Wembley was a dome. It sure seems like it's enclosed.

according to my monagascan friend, this is a brand new wembley stadium, and the other NFL games were played at the old wembley stadium, or a temp stadium which was set up....

according to my monagascan friend, this is a brand new wembley stadium, and the other NFL games were played at the old wembley stadium, or a temp stadium which was set up....

Sorry but that's not true.

It's a new stadium but the last two games were played at the same place. It's been open for a few years now.

5.35am local time Friday morning.

So thats 12.35 am Eastern. Yes they are practicing at the Brit oval. Not sure the groundsman will be too please about having linemen ripping up his outfield.

I thought you guys were five hours ahead of us? They get there 5:35 a.m. our time but 10:35 a.m. your time?

If the Pats have to resort to the running game, they should be okay:
NFL Stats: by Team Category

Probably not after looking at that, but depends on the strength of the winds I guess

BTW: Whats the deal with the Arch?

They were going to hang the largest video screen from it, but Jerry Jones outbid them.

It was the best idea that anyone came up with for making Wembley iconic. The old Wembley had the Twin Towers and they went when it was knocked down.

Old stadium (capacity - 82,000):

83382550.jpg

It was the best idea that anyone came up with for making Wembley iconic. The old Wembley had the Twin Towers and they went when it was knocked down.

Old stadium (capacity - 82,000):

83382550.jpg

The old Wembley had some very historic concerts, if i remember correctly ;)

Roof
For those wondering about the arch, and roof

Wembley Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Detail of the arch. The new 6,350 tonne roof covers an area of over 45,000 square metres (11 acres), 4 acres (16,000 m2) of which are movable and rise to 52 m (170 ft) above the pitch.[2] With a span of 317 m (1040 ft), the arch is the longest single span roof structure in the world and is 134 m (440 ft) above the level of the external concourse,[20] and is designed not to cast a shadow on the pitch.[27] Contrary to popular belief, the stadium's roof is not fully retractable, meaning it cannot cover the playing surface in inclement weather.[28] In theory, the roof is more of an umbrella against the rain for spectators and designed to avoid a shadow across the pitch rather than a fully retractable roof which can cover the entire pitch. Apparently there are concerns within FIFA that the pitch will never be of a standard to hold a World Cup Final. The present England manager Capello has made representations to the English FA complaining that the pitch hinders skillful ball playing.

Some views from the pitch from the old Wembley, courtesy of my father and his friends! :D
England 1-2 Scotland, 1977.

Wembley_3.jpg
Wembley_1.jpg
Wembley_2.jpg
Wembley_4.jpg

umm, if u look closely the arch has cables connected to the top of the roof, hence it supports the roof

though if the cables were cut, the arch would stand

Are you deducing this from your vast knowledge of engineering, or some document about the stadium? Or just looking at a picture?

The tension on the cables keeps the arch from toppling over. The roof and the arch need each other.

I thought you guys were five hours ahead of us? They get there 5:35 a.m. our time but 10:35 a.m. your time?

We are 5 hours ahead, the plane landed 5:35 am London time, which is 12:35 am Eastern. I made that abundantly clear in my post.

Just to add more confusion to times and timezones.
For anyone travelling over from the US, please remember that at 1am Sunday morning, we change our time back to GMT, which means moving all clocks back by 1hr.
At present we are on GMT+1hr, British Summer Time.

Looks like the passing game could be off a little,we may need the running game to work well.

18 to 30 MPH winds and a Partly Cloudy sky with a high in the mid 50s - Sounds a lot like Boston weather this time of year.

I think if Brady can put up 380yds and 6 TDs in a blizzard against the Titans he will be fine against the Bucs with a little wind. He should probably have 300+ yards again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft