PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Packers would lose hold on first-round bye with loss to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Packers' OL, they're 23rd in run blocking based on runs stuffed or runs for a loss, and they're in the middle of the pack in sacks allowed. On defense, I suspect the Patriots will be very mindful of their lanes and keeping the running game contained while focusing on making it as hard as possible to get the ball in Jordy Nelson's hands.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

On offense, the Patriots may go heavy and run the ball a lot. The Green Bay defense is 22nd against the run. A steady diet of Jonas Gray, LeGarrette Blount and Shane Vereen will help keep Rodgers off the field and the strength of the Packers defense - the linebackers - in the box. That will open things up across the middle for Gronk and Wright.
I dont know. Pats might just go hurry up with short passes to make their LBs cover for 60 mins. KC was an equally avg defense and pats seem to have no intent that day to run the ball either.

I dont know. Pats might just go hurry up with short passes to make their LBs cover for 60 mins. KC was an equally avg defense and pats seem to have no intent that day to run the ball either.

The Patriots offensive line was Musical Chairs at that point in the season. The Packers are not that big on the DL with BJ Raji and Khyri Thornton on the IR. They can be pushed around by the Pats' line, I think.

The Patriots offensive line was Musical Chairs at that point in the season. The Packers are not that big on the DL with BJ Raji and Khyri Thornton on the IR. They can be pushed around by the Pats' line, I think.
Possible. Someone in one of the packers forums mentioned how slippery lambeau can be . So running the ball could offer interesting challenges. One of the other issues that night in KC was players slipping all over the field.

There are four weeks of the season after this game. I don't think playoff seeding as much of a motivating factor as people think at this point. Just look at the Pats in Miami last year where they controlled their own destiny of HFA going into that game and lost.

I think the Packers will still get the #2 seed even with a loss to the Pats and could still be there for the #1 if Arizona falls off, which is very possible with their tough remaining schedule and without Palmer.

Last edited:
Between the line shifting and all of the CBS guys picking the Pats, I'm a little worried. I know this is all superstiation, but I've seen an awful lot of overconfidence in favor of the Pats, and even though it's all coming from outside the locker room, I still prefer going into games where the Pats aren't getting enough credit.

That said, I'm not worried even if the Pats lose this game. They've done so well over the hardest stretch of their schedule that they can drop this one and still control their own fate for the #1 seed against a pretty favorable schedule.

Between the line shifting and all of the CBS guys picking the Pats, I'm a little worried. I know this is all superstiation, but I've seen an awful lot of overconfidence in favor of the Pats, and even though it's all coming from outside the locker room, I still prefer going into games where the Pats aren't getting enough credit.
If the Pats play is affected by what the public says about the games then they're not a good football team anyway.

If the Pats play is affected by what the public says about the games then they're not a good football team anyway.

That wasn't what I was saying, but that said: the Pats are clearly affected by what the public says about them. As is every team, since they're all comprised of human beings who, like it or not, do hear what the press is saying. Go back and re-listen to some post-game clips from the first couple games of this current winning streak. Gronk has spoken openly about how badly he wanted to help prove everyone who was writing Brady off wrong. These guys knew that they were being counted out, they were pissed, and it was reflected in their play. I think it's pretty well-established that the Pats thrive when outsiders doubting them. Bulletin board material, all of that. Right now, there's none of that to be had.

Since they're a team of well-coached professionals, I'm sure that they'll have no trouble going into this game, doing their jobs, and hopefully coming away with a win. Belichick is too good of a coach to let them overlook any game, let alone a road game against a team like the Packers. I'd be lying, though, if I claimed that I wouldn't rather that the Packers were 6 point favorites and everyone was picking them. And I do find it weird that people can recognize that the Pats thrive when doubted then suddenly turn around and not believe that anymore when there's no doubt to thrive on.

Last edited:
BTW most of the espn experts picked against the Pats so there's plenty of doubt to thrive on in this one.

Hochuli is a Pats hater.

Pats were due for a loss and Brady a bad game.

Rodgers isnt Cutler or Stafford. Real Deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back