PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Owners to vote on 18 games season

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.C Vegas

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
At the meetings this year the owners are going ot vote on making the season 18 games starting in 2012 and dropping 2 preseason games. all the reports sound like it'll pass by a lot

so what so you all think of this and yes they can vote on it with out talking to the players about it. they'll ahve to get the players to agree after but there is nothing stoping them from voting it in

Re: Owners to Vote on18 games season

Huge mistake.

From everything I've read, even the fans don't want this.

I think it's a terrible TERRIBLE idea. Preseason games are very valuable and adding 2 more "real" games onto the season will make it that much more grueling. As for the Pats, I think it might benefit the team given that Belichick preaches depth and more games will make depth more important. However, for the league itself, this is BAD. If the NFL cares more about players health than money, they shouldn't pass this. If they pass it, the message they are giving is "We don't really care about player healthy, their expendable, we just want to take every dime we can".

Last edited:

I don't like the idea at all. With the concussion/injury issues I just don't see how you keep people healthy adding competitive games. I think cutting down the preseason is fine but how about expanding the playoffs instead of the regular season? Do we really need to see the Colts sit starters for 4 weeks instead of 2 so that the Jets can back into the playoffs? Besides.. who doesn't like playoff football! I'd say add an extra wild card game or something. I think Simmons had a great idea about this but I forget exactly what it was.

Everything I hear from Goodell and ownership: the fans want it. Everything I hear from the fans: we don't want it (myself included). As a season ticket holder I plan to write a letter to Kraft, although I think he already has made up his mind.

Terrible idea. Very bad for the physical well being of the players who already endure a season plus playoffs.

It will pass overwhelmingly. And no, I am not a moonbat anti-capitalist.

Last edited:

Another reason not raised yet is it makes each game less meaningful, if that makes sense.
I make time to watch every single game, because each one is so important in terms of playoff implications, and because there are so few every season.

If they add 2 more, I may only selectively follow games, kind of like I do with the Celtics or Bruins.

Without checking the stats it seems we have lost about as many players to practice injuries as we have players to game injuries. Perhaps with the season starting sooner the players may have their bodies ready sooner. As I fan I love the idea ... 2 more meaningful games and it opens the record books to a new era. for the players the only downside may be less money for stars as all teams (not just the elite teams) will absolutely pay more attention to their depth.

If it is not broke, don't fix it!!!! Why mess with the best sport on earth.

we could see the first 12 win team in NFL history to not make the playoffs... and just about ever single season record will be broken

Let's move it to 11 games and have a BCS bowl format.

This is one of those instances in which the NFL is almost being insulting. As others have already mentioned, they're doing extensive testing on concussions. They're constantly changing rules with respect to player safety. Goodell has cracked down to make sure players are wearing all their pads this preseason.

"Let's add two more games!!!!!"

It just feels like they're spitting in the face of players and fans, as if we're too stupid to realize that while they may truly care about player safety, in the end, revenue is more important.

Last edited:

I am not crazy about the idea, but as a season ticketholder I hate
spending $468 on preseason tickets. Cut 2 preseason games and
that number is cut in half.

They plan to add a 2nd buy week which will make the season 20 weeks.
The superbowl will be the day before Presidents day, which will give
most people the day after the superbowl off from work.

There may be an adjustment period, but it will be the same for each team.
You will see much more Pat/Saints & Pats/Falcons scrimage time
with only 2 preseason games.

It will be interesting to see how it works the first year.

I am not saying it is perfect (it is far from perfect), but lets give it
a chance.

Last edited:

If it does pass, even tho it will probably only benefit the owners, I wonder what other rules they will also put into place. Expand the 53 man roster, start a disabled list like baseball, pay the players more, etc.

dollar-sign.jpg

That's literally the only reason to do this.

Are you guys kidding me? Do you schlep for the players union or something? What fan doesn't want two more meaningful games?

Injury issues? These athletes are making bank. They'll be alright. But thanks for your concern.

Not going to follow all the games? Sheez, I'm jonesing so bad fo pigskin, I'm watching worthless pre-season games. And I still gotta watch two more!

Heck, even you season tix holders, you're already paying for the games anyway. At least pay to see the real thing. The real team, really trying.

Are you guys kidding me? Do you schlep for the players union or something? What fan doesn't want two more meaningful games?

Injury issues? These athletes are making bank. They'll be alright. But thanks for your concern.

Not going to follow all the games? Sheez, I'm jonesing so bad fo pigskin, I'm watching worthless pre-season games. And I still gotta watch two more!

Heck, even you season tix holders, you're already paying for the games anyway. At least pay to see the real thing. The real team, really trying.

Thanks for the input Mr. Goodell.

I love the idea of a longer season but it's not necessary to play more games.

Each weekend I miss great games because they're not televised in NE or they conflict with the Patriots or with other great games.

Stretch out the season with more bye weeks and ratings per game will rise so the NFL can make more money without increasing their costs. Players have more time to recover from injuries leading to more meaningful games and playoffs. Teams have more time to learn the playbook and to practice together in a sport that has become ridiculously complex.

And if there's more than one bye week, it won't be so obvious to my wife when I'm planning our vacation around it.

If they vote on 18 games per season, every player's annual salary should automatically and immediately increase by 13% to be fair.

Interesting. I thought the fan reaction was pretty positive when talk of the 18 game season started. I agree that the idea seems reckless given concussion and now potential ALS issues. I love the concept in the vein that I love football, but this idea seems wrong place, wrong time.

All indications are the expanded season will be a gimme for the owners. I think 2 games is extreme. Maybe 1 would be doable. Cut 2 preseason games and add just 1 regular season game. One more game that counts, but one less overall game. The players give a little, get a little.

Expand the rosters to 58 for the first 3 weeks of the season, with a week 3 cutdown to 55. Gives more players jobs. Gives coaches the necessary time for roster evaluation after they give up those preseason games. Gives the league an exciting Tuesday morning of news when 96 guys get cut and hit the open market.

I would also add a roster exemption like baseball's disabled list, where a team could put a player semi-ir for say, a 4 or 8 week period, opening a roster spot for another player. Too add strategy, teams get a limited number of these in a year. Again, more guys get jobs.

Absolutely build a second bye week into the schedule. Make sure it is systematic too. If it's going to be an 18 week season, there should be at least 6 weeks between byes. And teams who play on Thursdays should get byes the week before. Teams who play on Mondays should get byes the week after. There's no reason not to look after your employees like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes