PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Owners to vote on 18 games season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect a raise also, however I have a feeling raises will be in somewhat short supply with the new bargaining discussion.

That's one thing that gets brought up a lot when we have this discussion at work. The owners are pushing to get back some of the revenue given to players while wanting them to play more games.

It's going to be a struggle to get a new deal done and make sure we have football in 2011. Trying to expand the season will just make it harder.

That's one thing that gets brought up a lot when we have this discussion at work. The owners are pushing to get back some of the revenue given to players while wanting them to play more games.

It's going to be a struggle to get a new deal done and make sure we have football in 2011. Trying to expand the season will just make it harder.

The owners are just going to declare an impasse and install their rules anyway, then fight it out in court.

I expect the owners to vote to move to 2,18 schedule over the present 4,16 schedule. I would expect this change to increase revenue and therefore put more money in the pot when various positions are analyzed next year.

In any case, there is no season next year without an agreement, so the owners cannot do anything unilaterally, except express their bargaining position.

Interesting article about this subject on PFT this evening. It turns out that under the current CBA, the owners could have gone to 18 games if they wanted to. So it would not have required union approval (the article is a little vague on what additional compensation the players would have received).

As the articles explains, this is a moot point since the current CBA is being opted out of. But for those of you who think the owners are locked into their current TV deals, this supports my contention that the NFL would have put similar clauses into their TV deals.

Do you really think this is an issue where people are going out with bots and making multiple votes? Puh-leeze.
The thing is, if both sides did it, it would be a wash, but I'm with you. Unlikely too many mulitple voters because only 25,000 votes nationally indicates a ho-hum attitude toward the question.

The latest (New York Times earlier today) seems to be that there won't be a vote because Goodell doesn't think he has the 24 of 32 votes to get it passed. Apparently some owners are balking for a variety of reasons, including the feedback from their coaches.

People, they're going from 16 to 18 games, not from 16 to 80. The season will still start in early September, maybe even a full week earler than what we currently have, and will go later into February.

That's not what some reports have. They have it starting in mid or late september, with two bye weeks. In truth, nobody knows, but the 16 to 80 misrepresents my comments. My point was that starting in mid september and then going to late February is very different than what we have now, with the rhythms around Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the Holidays. That was my only point.

Right now with about 25,000 votes, an ESPN SportsNation poll has fans in favor of the change by 53% to 47%. So for people on either side of the issue to suggest that they have overwhelming fan support on their side is disingenuous at best.

thanks for the data and honesty. people are trying to position this like its all one way or another. it's a tough decision for the owners and a big change for players, coaches and, yes, fans as well. let's just all listen to each other instead of caricaturing their positions.

Yep with the 80 game schedule I could see quite a few more injuries.

i made my point at length and sincerely. just trying to have a discussion. if you have an original point to make, make it. otherwise, can the misleading caricatures.

i made my point at length and sincerely. just trying to have a discussion. if you have an original point to make, make it. otherwise, can the misleading caricatures.

You just posted 4 posts in a row three of which were whiny and added nothing to the discussion, and you spent one of them whining about my post, which actually was commenting on wolfpack's post. I don't really care too much what you think or post, and I will post whatever I like, just don't read it if you want.

That's not what some reports have. They have it starting in mid or late september, with two bye weeks. In truth, nobody knows, but the 16 to 80 misrepresents my comments. My point was that starting in mid september and then going to late February is very different than what we have now, with the rhythms around Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the Holidays. That was my only point.
I haven't seen a single report that moves back the regular season opener into mid or late September. Do the math; it just doesn't work out. If you started in late September, added 2 weeks to the season plus another bye week, that could bring the Super Bowl all the way into March. All the reports I've seen talk about moving the Super Bowl to Presidents' Day weekend, which would necessitate an early September start.

The opening date will remain as is or be moved up a week to Labor Day weekend (instead of the weekend after Labor Day). I have no idea why you think Thanksgiving or the holidays would be any different than they are right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore