PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Owners Meeting this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect what Kraft has done as owner of the Patriots franchise. But let's be clear on how he was able to afford the franchise in the first place. As a young man, he married a smart, wealthy girl who was the daughter of a self made man who founded a business. He would go to work for his father in law, and as a competent manager and leader he grew the business.

He is very accomplished and extremely successful. I would challenge the description self-made.

I also think Myra was the moral center of that family and that Robert has drifted since losing her. I doubt she ever would have allowed him to get a rogering from Roger.

Yeah, you need to research the issue. He married into a local box company he bought it in a leveraged buyout, he did not inherit it. He started his own company, merged it and became the biggest private paper packaging company in the country.

Last edited:
I respect what Kraft has done as owner of the Patriots franchise. But let's be clear on how he was able to afford the franchise in the first place. As a young man, he married a smart, wealthy girl who was the daughter of a self made man who founded a business. He would go to work for his father in law, and as a competent manager and leader he grew the business.

He is very accomplished and extremely successful. I would challenge the description self-made.

I also think Myra was the moral center of that family and that Robert has drifted since losing her. I doubt she ever would have allowed him to get a rogering from Roger.

No, he bought it.

Yeah, you need to research the issue. He married into a local box company he bought it in a leveraged buyout, he did not inherit it. He started his own company, merged it and became the biggest paper packaging company in the country.

Yeah, to say that Kraft just married into money is a gross mischaracterization of how he built his empire.

Sorry, but I have a bad feeling we'll either hear nothing about Framegate, or else we'll hear Bob oscillating back toward the NFL Company Line. Hope I'm wrong.
I have gotta believe that as Defamegate has become a PR and legal cluster, this has to be on the agenda - whether is a formal agenda item or a covert discussion. These billionaires do not want to kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs.

jeezus krist...what a goddamned crock....:cool:

we are ALL self made!..we take from whatever is around us and use it to pave our paths in life...but don't let that stop the goddamned holier-than-thou azzoles from pontificating on high in the stupendously arrogant effort to impress everybody else.

we are ALL self made!..we take from whatever is around us and use it to pave our paths in life...but don't let that stop the goddamned holier-than-thou azzoles from pontificating on high in the stupendously arrogant effort to impress everybody else.

Not Irsay, fer crissakes. not Woody johnson...

There's an entire generation of NFL owners (Giants, Steelers, Jets, Colts, Raiders, etc.) who are anything but self-made. That isn't necessarily an awful thing; I'm cautiously optimistic that Jonathan Kraft will be a good owner, no matter how born-on-third-base he is. But being born on third base is pretty much the only way an incompetent drug-addled dipshit like Jim Irsay can own an NFL team, though, so it's worth noting.

He started his own company, merged it and became the biggest paper packaging company in the country.

Intahnashnal Foriss Proddicks? ;)

they got where they are by using what they have, Ray. Even assturds like Irsay . I think Kraft had to use a thousand times more effort to get down HIS path, but in the end , we ALL own our way in this life.

and speaking of owning...I own a beautiful new F-150! Yeah, it's true...I won it playing that "Make A New Word!" game sweeping the six state region. All I had to do was guess the correct order of child, molester, and dell. Can't wait to post my winning answer from coast to coast on thousands of message boards and twitter feeds. More probably than not most people will eventually agree that the new word describes the essence of absolute honesty.

Saying thanks dad isn't hard. I could do that. Becoming a multibillionaire from working at a box company, even wife's dads, requires a bit more.

There's an entire generation of NFL owners (Giants, Steelers, Jets, Colts, Raiders, etc.) who are anything but self-made. That isn't necessarily an awful thing; I'm cautiously optimistic that Jonathan Kraft will be a good owner, no matter how born-on-third-base he is. But being born on third base is pretty much the only way an incompetent drug-addled dipshit like Jim Irsay can own an NFL team, though, so it's worth noting.

It certainly has to affect their judgment. How many of these owners think they can whine and complain about rules to succeed, as opposed to working [what's that?] hard.]

Yeah, to say that Kraft just married into money is a gross mischaracterization of how he built his empire.

I agree - summing up what I said as "just married into money" is a mischaracterization.

He deserves accolades for building that empire. I was only contesting the self-made descriptor. Wikipedia offers the following definition:

A "self-made man" or "self-made woman" is a person who was born poor or otherwise disadvantaged, but who achieved great economic or moral success thanks to their own hard work and ingenuity rather than to any inherited fortune, family connections, or other privilege.

As far as I can tell from available histories, he did not start with his own idea and no customers. He began with an established business and some kind of leveraged financial backing to acquire a 50% stake in that existing company. What he did from there is VERY impressive, just different from what I think of when I think self-made.

When I think of self-made, I think of someone with an idea and no customers who builds something new. I think of people like Joseph Gerber.

So Kraft helps get the CBA done and negoitates a $19b TV package and the other 31 owners want nothing to do with him? Really?

Sadly that might be the case.. its like that scene in the first iron man, where Tony starks partnet poisons him and says something about how he laid his last golden goose egg..

The owners got what they wanted from Kraft, so now it's "what have you done for me lately" and I'm sure many of them (not all) would be shoving each other to be the first to twist the dagger they stuck in his back

Sadly that might be the case.. its like that scene in the first iron man, where Tony starks partnet poisons him and says something about how he laid his last golden goose egg..

The owners got what they wanted from Kraft, so now it's "what have you done for me lately" and I'm sure many of them (not all) would be shoving each other to be the first to twist the dagger they stuck in his back

Yea....maybe. I've slept on this as well. I have no idea what these cooky owners are thinking. Common sense tells me that the other 31 owners - from a pure business perspective are better off supporting Kraft than Goody. However, since these owners need a cap because they can't control their own spending habits and half of them are trust fund babies and blindly hate the Patriots for winning, who the hell knows what they are thinking..

Can we please get back on track with this thread. Honestly, who gives a **** how rich bastards got their money. 90 % of this thread is shear stupidity.

There are a few; Paul Allen comes to mind. But he's a special case. He was both lucky in business and unlucky in health, so he didn't learn and grow in line with the success that caused his wealth.

The guys who are still running their companies are not weaklings. At least, none of the billionaires I know are. I'm even thinking of one who's elderly, charitable, very conscious of his image as a super-nice guy (beyond the Kraft level in that regard), and basically retired -- and he's no weakling either.

Paul Allen was, more or less, along for the ride in a partnership where he was not the important (or most important) member. Kraft was not. Kraft built his empire from essentially the ground up, and he had the foresight to invest heavily in areas he thought were going to be high growth areas, both in business and with the NFL.

The price he paid for the Pats was unprecedented at the time. He turned down a 75 million dollar buy out offer for the Pats lease at Sullivan Stadium (which, again with foresight) he had bought out of bankruptcy. The stadium, at the time he bought it, was considered outmoded and nearly worthless. He then paid 172 million for the Pats, which as I said, was unprecedented at the time.

He grew the business after the acquired it through a leveraged buyout. And then he FOUNDED the most important part of his business, International Forest Products.

With the Jim Turner lawsuit today, I think it will be even more reason for the owners to want Goodell to settle and settle quickly. The longer this is out there and the process is not controlled by Goodell, the more and more the League steps in it.

With the Jim Turner lawsuit today, I think it will be even more reason for the owners to want Goodell to settle and settle quickly. The longer this is out there and the process is not controlled by Goodell, the more and more the League steps in it.
While the owners will probably scoff at the idea and which Turner good luck.

The question they should be asking is, do any other people who have fallen under Goodell's decision making abilities have a case. Even worse, what could be uncovered from such an investigation. Does the NFL league offices have anything they don't want exposed (and they have to know they won't get the truth from Goodell).

While the owners will probably scoff at the idea and which Turner good luck.

The question they should be asking is, do any other people who have fallen under Goodell's decision making abilities have a case. Even worse, what could be uncovered from such an investigation. Does the NFL league offices have anything they don't want exposed (and they have to know they won't get the truth from Goodell).

I don't think they are worried about losing the suit to Turner, but they are worried about what might come out during the discovery phase of the lawsuit. They never know what a judge might require Wells to turn over and whether the judge will uphold the attorney-client privilege when Wells and the League portrayed his investigation as an independent investigation and not an attorney-client relationship.

Article VIII in the Constitution and Bylaws of the National Football League is titled, “Commissioner.” The first line reads: “The League shall select and employ a person of unquestioned integrity to serve as Commissioner…”

SHALL doesn't give them much wiggle room in my opinion

It seems to me they should be compelled to have an open vote so we can see which owners view Goodell actions as in keeping with their own constitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back