PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Out of the CB class, who do you want the most?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

CB choice?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i honestly dont see why there is so much hype surrounding this guy. what has he done? he played division II ball where the competition is obviously inferior. i dont care what he did in the senior bowl. the only reason i see this guy getting attention is because he is fast/athletic and has the same name as a star CB on the chargers. regardless, i don't see him as a BB type-player. from what i've read he isn't that physical and needs to bulk up, and also doesn't have that great of a football IQ. i think intelligence is one of the most underrated aspects of the game. a lot of people want these very athletic guys who can fly up and down the field but i'd rather a smart and technically sound player that is versatile.

To be fair he played 1-AA ball but i pretty much agree with what else your saying.

McKelvin.

IMO, he has the least downside. Because even if he doesn't pan out as a starter and works as a nickel or dime back, he should still be an excellent return man.

I think his return skills alone merit drafting him; what you get in coverage is gravy.

I think his return skills alone merit drafting him; what you get in coverage is gravy.

Depends where you draft someone (as always). To me, there is no way someone should be a first-round pick based only on their return abilities, except maybe Devin Hester. You make it seem McKelvin is a top-half first-round draft choice based only on his return abilities (coverage is gravy). That's a huge stretch IMO.

McKelvin.

IMO, he has the least downside. Because even if he doesn't pan out as a starter and works as a nickel or dime back, he should still be an excellent return man.

Disagree. I take it you thought Ted Ginn at #9 overall was a worthwhile pick based solely on his return abilities? Well, glad to hear that the Dolphin's GM checkes out Patsfans.com in his spare time! No seriously. If you're drafting for return abilities alone, a 3rd round pick is justifiable. No higher.

Now if you're actually getting a guy who can play his position well AND return well, that's another story. From what I hear, McKelvin is considered a top corner. So based on ability as a CORNER, he is worth a 1st round pick. His special team abilities are a plus, but imo you vastly overrate the importance of them.

Sorry, I didn't express myself well in my previous post ... obviously you don't draft a guy high if you think he is a great returner but isn't starter material at any position.

My point was he is already considered a top corner, and all things being equal when compared to the other top guys, I'd opt for him as he will at a minimum give you an immediate as a returner which limits his downside.

Ted Ginn is actually a good comparison. I know everyone laughed at Miami at the time (mostly because Quinn was on the board) but my guess is four years from now, a bunch of the top WRs will have busted, but at a minimum Ginn will have provided some big time plays in the return game even if his WR production is marginal.

His special team abilities are a plus, but imo you vastly overrate the importance of them.

I don't think I do. On the final kickoff, a 40 yard kick return would likely have won the Pats the Super Bowl. It's important.

Given his "there are three phases of the game" mantra, my guess is BB rates it as important as well.

Cason scored two TD's on punt returns in 2007, so he's got some PR/KR ability, as well. I think there are better returners in the draft than either McKelvin or Cason though. I also don't like using your starting CB as your main KR/PR either. Let's use the Chris Johnson's, or Dexter Jackson's of the world for that :D

What CB has the best return skills in this class? Chances are the CB will need to be a return man to take over Hobbs's duty last year as he's the #1 CB this year

What CB has the best return skills in this class? Chances are the CB will need to be a return man to take over Hobbs's duty last year as he's the #1 CB this year

Ive heard a couple times that McKelvin is the best return man out of the DB's

I don't think were going corner with the first pick in draft so all these guys are more than likely going to be long gone in the first place.

Cason and McKelvin, can't decide. I like a lot both of them.

Last edited:
I don't think were going corner with the first pick in draft so all these guys are more than likely going to be long gone in the first place.
That is why "other" is an option.

If I'm not mistaken he was an All American returner in 2007.

Yea, I think he averaged something like 17 yards per return on punts in 2007, that was at Troy though, and his KR avg wasn't as high as some other guys who are coming out with return ability.

I have a very small number of cbs on my board who I honestly believe can become quality NFL #2 cbs. Among them I don't see anyone of the caliber of Revis or Hall last year, i.e. a #1 cb. Many of the names floated around IMO are too risky to draft at cb, because of small school pedigree, or are really NFL safeties who played cb in college.

CBs
Cason
Ch Jackson
Talib*
Wheatley
M. Grant
Tracy Porter
Isaiah Gardner
Marcus Walker

NFL safeties, college cbs
M. Jenkins
Godfrey