Welcome to PatsFans.com

Our Safeties

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ayjackson, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

To me, with Wilson out, it seems that Saunders has taken over Rodney's role as more of a blitzer/run stopper, while Rodney is taking Geno's coverage assignments.

Can someone with more expertize on our safety assignments explain if this is the case?
  2. DonBlackmon55

DonBlackmon55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

you mean James Sanders
  3. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Harrison gives the Patriots a lot of flexibility, especially as a blitzer as he creeps up to the line of scrimmage. I am sure I am dead wrong but in coverage our Safeties usually split the deep part of the field. In coverage the FS/SS is not as important, it is more like right side and left side. On of the Safeties would likely key on a TE depending on the matchups.

Sanders has proven to be very steady, strong tackler and improving his coverage. he is not as dynamic as Harrison but my stance is that 70% of a Safeties job is to be a good tackler, Sanders does this part very well.

With a 200 point lead I am sure the Safeties spent a lot of time making sure whoever was covering Evans had plenty of help.

Although I did think it was funny that in the 4th quarter the Patriots were passing and the Bills were running the ball.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.