PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaBruinz said:
There is no reason to spare you what you've earned.

BTW, one does not preclude the other. And I never implied that it did. Mason would have been another weapon on the offense.

Whatever. I could easily take the same approach with you, but why bother, since we're obviously talking past each other.

DaBruinz said:
They spent 7 picks on offense. The bigger problem was on DEFENSE last year or does the defense being ranked in the 20s not mean anything? Especially when they lost McGinest and Chatham.

The Patriots Defense was the best Defense in the league the second half of the year once the personel adjustments were made and some key individuals came back from injury, so don't put alot of stock in the season numbers. The offense, in particular the running game, was what struggled last year, and the offense sputtered against the Broncos, while the D totally shut the Broncos Down.

Last edited:
mcdonut16 said:
The Patriots Defense was the best Defense in the league the second half of the year once the personel adjustments were made and some key individuals came back from injury, so don't put alot of stock in the season numbers. The offense, in particular the running game, was what struggled last year, and the offense sputtered against the Broncos, while the D totally shut the Broncos Down.

Toally agree, the Defense played lights out toward the end of the season.

The best thing to do was get a stud Running Back to keep the chains moving while the D studies charts and sips gatorade on the sidelines. This pickup is huge!!!

mcdonut16 said:

Couldn't agree more. I loved this draft.

Mcginest's gap hurts, but I think our D will be just fine.

DaBruinz,

As someone said to me last night when I went on my tirade, "preach on brother DaBruins, preach on!"

As far as this draft went. It was what it was. The team will be much better offensively. All you fans who failed to grasp the beauty of putting our offense out there to grind down, wear down, frustrate, and irritate the opposing D, while waiting for (and needing) them to get so pissed they made a mistake will be absolutely psyched by this draft.

Those of us who were psyched by the team in 01, when we did what I described above, are crushed. We enjoyed the efficient but not exciting offense that year. The O went out and ate clock until they either caught a break with a mistake, or punted the ball away so that our ST's and D could go out there and score, while simultaneously causing pain and suffering to the superstar laden offensive minded teams. We never wanted to see the day when the Pats would become one of those teams. It will take adjustment.

And on a brighter note, just because the team got deeper offensively this weekend, it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to go Martz on us any time soon.

We will be fine. There are at least 2 LB's rated as high as the third that went undrafted. I'm sure we will sign one or more of those soon.

And perhaps we really will pick up Law for a short term deal. That would fill the total gaping hole for a cover corner, at least adequately for the time being. We did the same in 03 at NT with Big Ted.

I will keep the faith until camp opens.

But please Brother DaBruinz, preach on!

I'm not sure that adding maroney and jackson to our offense will neccesarily completely change the way our offense works. I for one still believe that our offense will be the same type of offense it always has been. And so be it if maroney gets that extra yard that Dillon doesn't. So be it if Jackson breaks the one tackle Givens never did.

Like someone else said, just because we upgraded our offense doesn't mean our O will turn into a Colts style or Rams style offense. Brady is still throwin the ball. And BB is still callin the plays.

It's all going to be fine.

My day one assessment was wait and see after the surprise. Day two is just as much a surprise and just as a much a wait and see draft...I had 50% of the picks on my Master Board, but only Gostkowski was a strong candidate for me...guess my scouting career for NE will have to wait a little longer. :cool:

Laurence Maroney Height: 6-0 Weight: 216 Position: Running Back College: Minnesota - As stated on the draft forum, the tape NFL Network played showing his blitz pick-up made him a more welcome if surprising choice.

Chad Jackson Height: 6-1 Weight: 212 Position: Wide Receiver College: Florida - A better value in the second from where many projected him in the first round.

Dave Thomas Height: 6-3 Weight: 239 Position: Tight End College: Texas - He was on my board for the second day, but I was also interested in a first day TE.

Garrett Mills Height: 6-1 Weight: 227 Position: Tight End College: Tulsa - Much earlier then I anticipated, but another on my board. I wonder if BB is looking to try him as his D-Giv possession WR?

Stephen Gostkowski Height: 6-2 Weight: 210 Position: Kicker College: Memphis - If he was the PK BB wanted then taking him in the 4th round made sure you got him, I don't mind paying a little more to get the quality I want.

Ryan O'Callaghan Height: 6-7 Weight: 343 Position: Guard College: California - This pick floored me, I was unimpressed with him in the Senior Bowl at RT, in Dante I trust....

Jeremy Mincey Height: 6-4 Weight: 258 Position: Defensive End College: Florida - Played well in the Hula Bowl, good pick.

Dan Stevenson Height: 6-5 Weight: 297 Position: Guard College: Notre Dame - Good comp pick with a little (suspected) inside information. He seems to have the frame to add another 10 pounds or more in muscle.

Le Kevin Smith Height: 6-3 Weight: 315 Position: Defensive Tackle College: Nebraska - He was a good run stuffer in the Shrine Game and should develop into a decent reserve NT if he sticks.

Willie Andrews Height: 5-9 Weight: 182 Position: Cornerback College: Baylor - 4.38/40 at the Combine. Unusual combination having played SS & CB, good KR and PR averages. A decent 7th rounder.

Fred Roach Height: 6-2 Weight: 257 Position: MLB College: Alabama - Nice UDFA pick-up.

JackBauer said:
Whatever. I could easily take the same approach with you, but why bother, since we're obviously talking past each other.
Jack - I have to apoligize. I got you mized up with Jacky Roberts in my reply.

I'm sorry.

mcdonut16 said:

Why did the run offense sputter? Because of the injuries to Koppen, Light and then Kaczur. Not to mention the injuries to Dillon.

Why are people so willing to blow off the issues with the defense to injuries, yet aren't willing to do the same for the offense. Like the injuries to Dillon. The injuries that kept Pass and Evans out for the last 6 weeks of the season or so.

Jacky Roberts said:
I guess according to you is anyone with a Patriots helmet on who happens to be on the field, right? So Ashworth is a weapon?

Branch is a big time threat. Until today, he was the only legitimate one besides Brady.

If your definition of weapon is so broad, than I would say every team has those weapons and teams like Indy had more of them until this draft.

ps- Is Evans a weapon?

Jacky - Its pathetic that you think that the Patriots didn't have any other weapons besides Branch before they drafted Jackson and Maroney. Absolutely pathetic. And it goes against what the Patriots have PURPOSELY done the last 5 years. Which is spread the ball around.

Yes, they can always look to UPGRADE their weapons and give themselves more options, but those players are still weapons. Troy Brown has some of the sure-est hands in the league. Still a solid possession receiver that Brady WILL find on 3rd downs if you leave him open. Graham and Watson are both big threats. People seem to have forgottem Graham's 2 30+ yard reception runs where he bowled people over after a TE screen. Watson had one also.

And yes. Ashworth, when he was lined up at FB, was a weapon. As I said. He was a former TE at Colorado before moving to tackle in the NFL. So he knew how to catch the ball. And, with Pass injured, Ashworth filled in admirably.

Mike Vrabel is also a weapon. How can you say he isn't when he has like 6 or 7 receptions, all for TDs.

JackBauer said:
Sorry, you're clearly misunderstanding the points being made, here, if that's what you use as a definition.

Jack -
Was your point that the Patriots didn't have any "BIG PLAY" players? Like a T.O.?

If it was, then I still have to say you don't understand the Pats offense. The Pats offense is predicated on spreading the ball around and using all the different options that the team has. That is what has made it so successful.

Just because the Pats wanted to bring in Mason, doesn't mean that they were trying to change the offensive philosophy that they had used for the previous 4 years (leading to 3 SBs mind you). The Pats wanted to bring in Mason because he would have been an upgrade to the weapons that the Patriots had.

And, just a side note. The longest reception that Mason has had in the last 3 years was 50 yards.

DaBruinz said:
Why did the run offense sputter? Because of the injuries to Koppen, Light and then Kaczur. Not to mention the injuries to Dillon.

Why are people so willing to blow off the issues with the defense to injuries, yet aren't willing to do the same for the offense. Like the injuries to Dillon. The injuries that kept Pass and Evans out for the last 6 weeks of the season or so.

I think you pose a good argument. But let it be known that in the first three games of the season, Dillon racked up an unimpressive 150 yards. This was with a healthy line.

Of course you can say the defense was weak in the first 2 games too (harrisson got hurt in the 3rd). I guess one difference is the fact that the D improved, even with all the injuried players and the O only worsened.

This entire argument is becoming rather illogical. Many of you seem to be angry that our offense is improving at the expense of the defense. You also seem to be under the impression that our team is changing the way it plays, that our team is no longer Patriot-like. I don't think this is so. I think the offense needed the most help and BB addressed this. I think our defense will be as good as ever; The whole is not always the sum of the parts. Remember, its the same coach calling the plays.

skri65 said:
I think you pose a good argument. But let it be known that in the first three games of the season, Dillon racked up an unimpressive 150 yards. This was with a healthy line.

Of course you can say the defense was weak in the first 2 games too (harrisson got hurt in the 3rd). I guess one difference is the fact that the D improved, even with all the injuried players and the O only worsened.

This entire argument is becoming rather illogical. Many of you seem to be angry that our offense is improving at the expense of the defense. You also seem to be under the impression that our team is changing the way it plays, that our team is no longer Patriot-like. I don't think this is so. I think the offense needed the most help and BB addressed this. I think our defense will be as good as ever; The whole is not always the sum of the parts. Remember, its the same coach calling the plays.

Dillon was hurt coming out of TC. I forget what exactly. But he wasn't 100% healthy. And the O-line had a rookie at LG. Also, Matt Light went down in the 3rd game of the season.

Don't forget that, in the Carolina game, the Pats had to abandon the run because they were down 20-7 in the 3rd quarter. It was only thanks to Mike Vrabel that the game was as close as it was at the end of the 3rd.

DaBruinz said:
Dillon was hurt coming out of TC. I forget what exactly. But he wasn't 100% healthy. And the O-line had a rookie at LG. Also, Matt Light went down in the 3rd game of the season.

Don't forget that, in the Carolina game, the Pats had to abandon the run because they were down 20-7 in the 3rd quarter. It was only thanks to Mike Vrabel that the game was as close as it was at the end of the 3rd.

True, true. I just don't see what there is to say that Dillon won't be injured again and once again, we will need faulk and pass to handle the load again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes