PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

game of thrones flirt GIF

What happened to the “Pats are cheap” crowd?

That's always been a garbage line because the Pats are always within 3m of the cap space.

The difference this year is the poor drafting by Bill. Instead of extensions being given to great players on rookie deals, he drafted crap and has to find talent through FA.

That's the difference. 4-5 years of mediocre to outright terrible drafts.

That's always been a garbage line because the Pats are always within 3m of the cap space.

The difference this year is the poor drafting by Bill. Instead of extensions being given to great players on rookie deals, he drafted crap and has to find talent through FA.

That's the difference. 4-5 years of mediocre to outright terrible drafts.
4-5 years of drafting 31 or 32, and losing your franchise QB because you had run out of money after 20+ years of success.

It was bound to happen, lets see what happens now.

Bill is a pragmatist at heart and is playing the hand that he was dealt properly, although he dealt himself the hand with a series of bad drafts, which made playing the preferable draft/comp picks game untenable.

He had a mountain of cash in a buyers market, this is when you should spend. With the recent changes in the front office hopefully the Pats will get back to building through the draft.

I like what they did today, very aggressive..

TE, Pass Rushing OLB, WR(2), DTackle, Versatile CB. Filled a few holes today, the draft will fill more..

4-5 years of drafting 31 or 32, and losing your franchise QB because you had run out of money after 20+ years of success.

It was bound to happen, lets see what happens now.
Ran out of money is dramatic. The pats could have created more cap space by using future space, but Billade the decision to take 1 year off to reset his cap. Which is also why they are so active right now.

But there are great players to be found in all rounds of the draft.

The draft is a crapshoot and it's not a direct knock against Bill because the draft has been full of duds. Finding talent in FA has always been Bill's biggest strength so it's exciting to see what he does this season with all the newcomers.

It has paid off for the Pats in the past. Off the top of my head, Wes Welker's last year in Miami was by far the best year of his then young career. Stephon Gilmore kinda fits in this category because his last year with the Bills was by far his best, but he was injured the year before.

The Pats haven't really added many free agents who had their best year the year before the Pats' signed them. So it is hard to see how good they are at picking out players who just overperformed in a contract year vs. players who are just emerging as players at an opportune time.

But let's face it. Picking up players on a down year can be a crap shoot too. The Pats have a lot of hits and a lot of busts in players in this category.

Most of the players they signed today (or agreed to deals that will be signed on Wednesday) are still young and at the age when they would break out to be the best they will be even if they weren't in a contract year. So it hard to tell why last year was their best year.

It has paid off for the Pats in the past. Off the top of my head, Wes Welker's last year in Miami was by far the best year of his then young career. Stephon Gilmore kinda fits in this category because his last year with the Bills was by far his best, but he was injured the year before.

The Pats haven't really added many free agents who had their best year the year before the Pats' signed them. So it is hard to see how good they are at picking out players who just overperformed in a contract year vs. players who are just emerging as players at an opportune time.

But let's face it. Picking up players on a down year can be a crap shoot too. The Pats have a lot of hits and a lot of busts in players in this category.

Most of the players they signed today (or agreed to deals that will be signed on Wednesday) are still young and at the age when they would break out to be the best they will be even if they weren't in a contract year. So it hard to tell why last year was their best year.
Agree.

Some of these do seem to be overpays but maybe except for Godchaux all of these players have been consistent performers every year in the league.

Just gotta hope they stay hungry after getting the big money,

The Pats haven't really added many free agents who had their best year the year before the Pats' signed them. So it is hard to see how good they are at picking out players who just overperformed in a contract vs. players who are just emerging as players at an opportune time.

Wes is a great example. Addalius Thomas is another example, who was great his first 2 years with the pats before flaming out.

Gilmore always looked the part. I remember watching him his rookie season and thinking he was going to be in the top 3 for CBs.

These are exciting pick-ups. I'm not thrilled with Agholor at his contract, but he always looked like a fit in this offense. I'm also pretty sure it was heavily rumored the pats were targeting him in the second round of the draft but the Eagles moved up to snag him

Wes is a great example. Addalius Thomas is another example, who was great his first 2 years with the pats before flaming out.

Gilmore always looked the part. I remember watching him his rookie season and thinking he was going to be in the top 3 for CBs.

These are exciting pick-ups. I'm not thrilled with Agholor at his contract, but he always looked like a fit in this offense. I'm also pretty sure it was heavily rumored the pats were targeting him in the second round of the draft but the Eagles moved up to snag him
Rosevelt Colvin coming off of back to back 10.5 sack seasons.

I thought about including Thomas except he was great his last two years in Baltimore although his last year was slightly better. But if you want to use him as a counter to Welker, I won't fight you too hard.

That dude is a tool. I'm not sure when fantasy football "experts" on twitter became experts on building a winning football team but it's really annoying. I only saw this stupid tweet because Warren Sharp liked it, Sharp is usually decent but has been similarly snarky on Pats stuff today.

I thought about including Thomas except he was great his last two years in Baltimore although his last year was slightly better. But if you want to use him as a counter to Welker, I won't fight you too hard.
I don't think of AD as a counter at all. AD was excellent his first year and great his second year with the Pats.

Whatever it was that caused his 3rd year plummet doesn't change the fact that he was a big contributer to the perfect season and the Matt Cassell 11-5 season. He was a great signing then fell off the cliff

The offensive players could be a bust but that will be because of Cam. Hopefully we find the Qb in this draft.

But really what is the alternative? Sit on $60 mil? We had to do this. We had no talent on the roster that was elite or close to elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore