PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: "You are what you are" (record) or "You are what you're capable of" (capability)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: "You are what you are" (record) or "You are what you're capable of" (capabili

gameday is my favorite poster on this site

Thanks. I'm embarrassed of my production of useless drivels. :rolleyes:

Re: OT: "You are what you are" (record) or "You are what you're capable of" (capabili

What bugs me about all this is to pretend this analysis is about "entertainment" or "predicting games" or drafting players.

Seems to me you're trying to come up with a model to make the useless argument whether the team that wins is or isn't the "best" team or "better" than someone else (historically or that year).

Wake me up and I'll give a sh*t when they start awarding trophies or home field advantage to the team that best exceeded its expectation.

No, you don't have to bet your money. Let's say you didn't know the outcome.
You were sent to a film vault where you could watch 11-5 Pats in 2001, and the 12-4 Pats in 2006. Of course, you could watch game films of every team as well.

What would you have predicted?

I'm not sure I understand the question :confused:

Do you mean would I have predicted a SB win in 2001 and a second round playoff loss in 2006? I honestly don't know... Of course I hoped they would win the SB both time, and I'm sure that clouded my judgment.

Looking objectively (I think) at this season, I'd say the Pats are favorites for the Superbowl. But anything can happen, just like the Patriots beating the heavily favored Rams in 2001. That's why I watch the games; I don't know what's going to happen! :D

Do you mean would I have predicted a SB win in 2001 and a second round playoff loss in 2006? I honestly don't know... Of course I hoped they would win the SB both time, and I'm sure that clouded my judgment.

Looking objectively (I think) at this season, I'd say the Pats are favorites for the Superbowl. But anything can happen, just like the Patriots beating the heavily favored Rams in 2001. That's why I watch the games; I don't know what's going to happen! :D

Whoops... I was thinking of 2005.

I actually predicted a loss in 2001 :rolleyes: and predicted another SB in 2006.

Is there a better way to predict? I don't know but that's why we want to try something better than our flawed gut feeling.

But also this. The moment I saw Tom Brady against the Colt in 2001, I said "This is the guy". Even after the horrible Miami loss, I still thought so and never wanted to see Bledsoe again. This was about capability projection not record projection (he was a nobody, no probowl, no stat then).

Although I thought we would lose to the Rams, I knew that 2001 could be the foundation for a competitive team for years to come and not a flash in the pan. Again, this was a capability projection based on player, coach, the organization and system, not record (in 2002, Pats were barely good, not top tier).

Of course even in wildest dream back in 2001 I would not have thought of 3 SBs.

Back to the present. Who will be the next dynasty? (after The Decline and Fall of the Patriots Empire) Tony Romo and the Cowboys?

It's fun to watch the game but also fun to prognosticate the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference