PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What's really wrong with the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting really sick of all this talk about how the Jets suck, their coaching sucks, their players suck, etc. Let me point out a fact that makes all of this irrelevant:

THE JETS ARE THE TOP TEAM IN THE LEAGUE IN PRODUCING SCHADENFREUDE FOR PATRIOTS FANS.

That means they are the best team to watch in the NFL.

[Edit] Aside from the Pats

Last edited:
Yes, their defense is not good. Terrible even.

But Pennington's arm strength is all but gone and defenses know it. The two games NY has beaten NE since 2002 displayed the type of "deep ball" that Pennington throws. In both games, there were prominant TDs that probably should have been picked, only to have the WR make a terrific play to not only stop the int, but to actually catch the TD.

Now that Chad's strength is lower, those passes are even easier to pick, but no only that, now teams are free to load the box and that limits the run game as well. Believe me, I think very highly of Chad and used to (mistakenly) believe that Chad could have accomplished the same as Tommy. He is a smart, gritty guy, but that's about it now.

I have no idea whether Clemens is the answer, but Pennington certainly isn't any longer.

I have said this before and I will say it again. Mangini made a huge mistake taking the Jets job. He wasn't ready to be a head coach and there would have been plenty of opportunities for him in the future unless he really is a bad DC which were definite signs in the 2005 season. He could have had his pick of about a half dozen jobs last year and another year of experience under his belt.

As for his defense, I see a number of things wrong with it:

• He just doesn't have the defensive personnell for a 3-4. Dewayne Robertson is an one-gap DT. Mangini is trying to make him a two-gap NT which he clearly is not suited. Vilma is a stud 4-3 MLB. He is a mediocre 3-4 ILB because he is too small. Ellis is a sack happy 4-3 DE, but a crappy 3-4 DE. Even Belichick in 2001 scrapped the 3-4 until 2003 because he didn't have the personnel.
  • Mangini is not aggressive. Even Patriots players made very thinly veiled shots at him because they felt they weren't allowed pressure the QB. Belichick's defense is based on strong pressure on the QB by the front seven. The Jets have 6 sacks in six weeks and three of them came vs. the Eagles last week. This might be because Mangini's defensive experience was with the secondary and may be biased to the secondary in his play calling. Belichick has shown that he can basically just throw anyone out there in the secondary if the front seven excell at their job.
  • Mangini doesn't seem to be a risk taker. He is way too conservative. When things start to slide like they have, it is time to try things to jumpstart your team. Mangini seems to be taking the Herm Edwards approach where you play not to lose rather than play to win. When you play not to lose, you usually do lose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back