PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vince Young talking about quitting again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not making fun of depression, read my post thoroughly. You know, the part right before I said "on the other hand"

Think more. Your relatives would not send police on a suicide watch search party if you were only being a wimp. They're obviously concerned about his mental state.

Not wanting to play football doesn't lead to suicide.

The Nashville Tennessean reports Vince Young on Monday "indicated to those around him he didn't want to play football any more." The Titans may be planning to move on without him.

This isn't the first time we've heard this from Young. And "there are indications" the team is ready to move forward with Kerry Collins, even when Young gets healthy. And that assumes Young even wants his job back. Young's mother, rightly concerned, pleaded for people to give her son "space" and "love." But it won't be so simple. A psychologist reported Young was "extremely depressed" and one wonders when he'll see the field again.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS01/80909129/-1/RSS05

I don't blame him. He throws one interception, the fans boo him, and then he gets an injury(of unknown severity). He was great to watch during his brief career. He threw plenty of perfect passes, dropped by sub-standard receivers and, after hearing many experts discussing flaws in his throwing mechanics, I thought he was really good.
I hope he still has all of his signing bonus, and a good future in another career.

It sounds like he has:

* An illness that saps his energy (depression)
* A career as a public performer that requires him to be at his very best -- and specifically to appear to be very upbeat -- at certain times on certain dates.

That's not a good combination.

His depression may be no worse than that suffered by people who've pulled themselves together and overcome it without a lot of medication. But in his line of work, it might be harder than that.

Poor guy.

On the plus side, if he does have to retire he'll have some money, memories, and celebrity. There are a LOT of people worse of than he is ...

He'll be returning a big chunk of that so-called money and security if he doesn't play.
I'm sure he'll find a way to feed his family with what he's made so far.
And I'm sure he can call Terry Glenn, and find out how he's protected from the ADA (American's with Disibilities Act)

Think more. Your relatives would not send police on a suicide watch search party if you were only being a wimp. They're obviously concerned about his mental state.

Not wanting to play football doesn't lead to suicide.

Think more? If he was truly on a "suicide watch" they wouldn't have let him drive off by himself after they found him at a friends house munching on chicken wings.

Again, as I stated in my original post, if he really has been diagnosed with depression, I hope he gets the help he needs. Maybe you should read more.

Often times that's the problem with doing something really great at a young age.... (Rose Bowls)

You spend the rest of your life knowing you can never duplicate that type of moment.

I'm not making fun of depression, read my post thoroughly. You know, the part right before I said "on the other hand"

I did read your post. You offered two options:

A. He is clinically mentally ill;

B. He is a pathetic human being deserving of public scorn, derision and humiliation.

I totally reject this forced choice.

Depression is a ***** for sure. But think about tenn for a minute do any of their 1st rounders work out in the long run. PacMan is gone and now Vince. Jeez guys someone needs to really look into these kids before investing so much into them

Edit: Medical question...Has anyone said anything about him being a manic depressive? He shows all the classic signs just by watching when he is playing well and then when he is having issues like now

Last edited:
Depression is a ***** for sure. But think about tenn for a minute do any of their 1st rounders work out in the long run. PacMan is gone and now Vince. Jeez guys someone needs to really look into these kids before investing so much into them

Edit: Medical question...Has anyone said anything about him being a manic depressive? He shows all the classic signs just by watching when he is playing well and then when he is having issues like now

Actually, I don't think he is. Again, as someone who suffers from it, I can tell you that his symptoms are classic. A manic person goes on wild swings. They will start to think they are invincible or doing something important when they aren't. He shows classic depression symptoms and that can be helped.

I suffered for years thinking I could just work things out and each cycle, it got harder and harder. I'm fine now and I'm very productive (as long as I'm not here lol ) but he is probably going to need some medication I'll bet to get him started. It will take a few weeks but he should start to feel better if they get it worked out. Once they can get him on the road to recovery, they'll work with him on not letting it get this far in the future.

Tell him to snap out of it doesn't work. Trust me, it just doesn't.

This will not be a popular post I am sure. Playing the 'depression card' has become almost as large a problem as derpression itself. I can say this because I have seen it up close and personal.
What happens is people who just dont want to take responsibility, or work hard, or more bluntly grow up, exhibit some tendencies that are consistent with clinical depression. A clinically depressed person has a chemical imbalance in their brain that prevents them from seeing things clearly and objectively. People who are not clinically depressed but want to escape responsibility can very easily mimic the traits of a person suffering from depression, and effect such a diagnosis. The mental health profession is extremely aggressive toward diagnosing depression.
Take a look at the responses in this thread, and as soon as depression was mentioned, it was treated as understandingly and sympathetically as if it were cancer. Now imagine that person who does not want to take responsibility being able to get such a sympathetic reaction, and basically absolution from resposibility.
My point is when someone posted something like 'man up' if this is a case of clinical depression, that is an ignorant statement because he wouldnt be capable, but don't kill the poster who suggests that there are other possibilities besides clinical depression.

don't kill the poster who suggests that there are other possibilities besides clinical depression.

I absolutely accept that there are other possibilities besides clinical depression. What I don't accept is the idea, now voiced multiple times in this thread, that there are only two possibilities:

- Clinical depression, absolving the individual of all culpability;

- NOT clinical depression, meaning he is lazy, weak, shiftless, spoiled, childish, irresponsible and (always the board's ultimate insult) resembles a girl.

Well whatever's ailing him, and we have no idea what that is, it's obvious he's a mess. It's probably a good idea that he steps away at least for awhile. Poor guy. Sometimes you wonder about the pressures placed on these young players,and Jeff Fischer probably wasn't a real good fit for Young's personality/issues or whatever. Sad situation-I wish Young the best.

not to offend anyone, but the crowd here didnt "boo" him after just 1 interception. He hasnt made the adjustment to the pros and its entirely possible that he is having to face that issue right now.
I mean, Fisher had to get in his ass after that interception just to get out onto the field, where the offense was waiting for him.
The fans are fed up with a dumbed down offense and a guy that is getting paid Millions and performing badly. This isnt his first Offensive coordinator and yes, his recievers are suspect, but this goes beyond mediocre recievers.

not to offend anyone, but the crowd here didnt "boo" him after just 1 interception. He hasnt made the adjustment to the pros and its entirely possible that he is having to face that issue right now.
I mean, Fisher had to get in his ass after that interception just to get out onto the field, where the offense was waiting for him.
The fans are fed up with a dumbed down offense and a guy that is getting paid Millions and performing badly. This isnt his first Offensive coordinator and yes, his recievers are suspect, but this goes beyond mediocre recievers.

Yep, I don't think you'll find a soul here defending Young as a football player. He seems to be in way over his head.

I absolutely accept that there are other possibilities besides clinical depression. What I don't accept is the idea, now voiced multiple times in this thread, that there are only two possibilities:

- NOT clinical depression, meaning he is lazy, weak, shiftless, spoiled, childish, irresponsible and (always the board's ultimate insult) resembles a girl.

I don't think clinical depression absolves anybody. It does explain things though if it's true. An alcoholic is responsible for his actions but his alcoholism explains his actions to some extent.

The way I look at it is that if he's suffering from depression, he'll get help and start to improve. That doesn't mean he isn't responsible for his actions.

If only anti-depressants made him better at football :D

I'd let him sit this season to work his issues out, this depression has been going on for well over a year. The Football field is the last place he needs to be.

I wasnt speaking about that, but in general.
Im not sure I understand what you are saying, but if I had to give it 2 choices, I'd say they are:
1) He isn't able to be in control (Whether depression, or other ailments, afflictions, whatever) or
2) He is not willing to do what he needs to in order to suceed as an NFL QB. That doesn't make him lazy, shiftless..... necessarily, but I would say that the level of effort he is willing to put into his career doesnt match up to what is necessary for his career to be NFL QB.
My attitude has always tended to be that someone, in whatever line of work, or facet of life, who appears lazy or doesn't try as hard as you would expect 'doesn't care' and that is the root. (Depression by the way is a cause for not caring)
I've recently amended my thinking of 'doesnt care' to that the consequences of not putting in the effort are less distasteful than the actual effort.

I think thats what is going on with Young. He 'wants to be an NFL QB' but the thought of not being an NFL QB seems to be more palatable to him than the thought of dealing with what comes along with it.

"I'm not making fun of depression, read my post thoroughly. You know, the part right before I said "on the other hand"

You didn't need to go there, what you said was idiotic, regardless of the "on the other hand" part.

I feel bad for this kid, this isn't the first time he's thought about quitting. Everyone thinks guys like him have the world by the balls, but sometimes it's the other way around.

Vince and his family need to worry about Vince, nothing else and get him the help he needs.

I wish the kid nothing but the best, he was brilliant in that game vs USC, one of the all time greatest performances in college football history.

I don't think anyone can say with any authority what Vince Young is thinking. But his actions and the actions of his family speak at the very least of a young man who needs some help. I hope he gets it and is able to find a path to some happiness. Life's too short.

Andy, that's anxiety and is the cause of most depression in people. We all go through the same symptoms at one point or another but it's the level and degree that's way out of whack. I'm a very productive and successful person and always have been but before I got help and was in a down cycle, I would not get out of bed for days and even go to work. I was very productive otherwise but I still suffered from it and wouldn't call people back for months. I would stare at things I was supposed to do and just not be able to do it for some unknown reason. I just couldn't do it. Someone close to me had gone through depression and said that I should see someone about it because he thought I was. I knew it but always thought that if I just tried a little harder, I wouldn't get like this again. That's why I finally got help and have been more than fine for years.

He put in all this time and effort to play in the league so when I hear about his actions, I've seen this many times. It isn't like the guy is a troublemaker. Something more is going on and it seems that the doctor agrees.

I don't know for sure what he's going through but when someone who has things going for them still feels like crawling into a hole and pouring dirt over themselves, depression is usually the reason. Anxiety is the trigger.

Anyway, I've shared enough. Have a good one. ;)

<LI class=body>Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood <LI class=body>Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism <LI class=body>Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness <LI class=body>Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex <LI class=body>Decreased energy, fatigue, being “slowed down” <LI class=body>Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions <LI class=body>Trouble sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping <LI class=body>Appetite and/or weight changes <LI class=body>Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts <LI class=body>Restlessness, irritability <LI class=body>Persistent physical symptoms, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain, which do not respond to routine treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News