PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vikings swapping picks with Falcons due to tampering?

I dunno, I don't think they'd be crucified for taking Penix in the teens. He's a good quarterback. Is he going to be top 5 in the league? Probably not, but he can likely be top 15 while still letting them get a potentially game-breaking WR at the same time that defenses have to gameplan around. If he stays healthy he will be a good player and his left-handed play makes their left tackle problem a much smaller issue. I don't really feel like it's overdrafting or anything because he has the talent. I'm sure some media will blast them for not taking one of the top 3 guys regardless though.
You might be right. I think if they had the third pick, traded down for what is widely believed to be a lesser QB, there's no way they live that down until the Pats prove that he's a better QB than the ones they passed up. That takes a lot of juice, I think, and I'm not sure anyone has that right now. That's a Belichick move.

8 & 23 much more attractive than 11 & 23

Make It So Star Trek GIF
There is little difference if our man is there at 3.

You might be right. I think if they had the third pick, traded down for what is widely believed to be a lesser QB, there's no way they live that down until the Pats prove that he's a better QB than the ones they passed up. That takes a lot of juice, I think, and I'm not sure anyone has that right now. That's a Belichick move.
All they'd have to say is that the group felt like that was the best move for the team. If it's a true "consensus based operation", and let's say they all think Caleb and Daniels are amazing and then Maye and McCarthy are a step below and not a big gap between them and Penix and/or Nix, and Caleb and Daniels both go 1/2, then it makes sense to trade down to get exceptional value and get a top WR or tackle talent and then use your second first rounder to take one of the next "tier" of QBs if you think they're all fairly close.

I'm sure some media will blast them for not taking one of the top 3 guys regardless though.

'Some media' (and plenty of folks here) will blast them for today being a day ending in Y
Or for not trading down or because the sky is not a shade of blue to their liking or...

Last edited:
When Jets tampered with Revis, they only got a fine iirc

When Jets tampered with Revis, they only got a fine iirc

A whole $100K. The league sent a couple of interns over to clean it out of Woody's couch cushions

I think Tampering needs to be retired.
You have players recruiting players on social media.
Team officials mingling with agents:
Coaches talking to players at or after games from the opposing side line.
Players shouldn’t be held to a team just like if a better opportunity comes along for the average employee they shouldn’t be held to stay employed at their current location.
This isn’t a marriage as long as we both shall live this is til my contract is up and then we will see what happens.
The notion of players only being able to hear numbers from their current team is downright unethical.
All this serves is for the owners to lock up players at cap friendlier deals.
If it wasn’t for the cap would it even matter?

I think building a team and having a cap to work with is some of my favorite parts of the NFL.

I think in the next 20 years we will see the cap be lifted alltogeher.

I think Tampering needs to be retired.
You have players recruiting players on social media.
Team officials mingling with agents:
Coaches talking to players at or after games from the opposing side line.
Players shouldn’t be held to a team just like if a better opportunity comes along for the average employee they shouldn’t be held to stay employed at their current location.
This isn’t a marriage as long as we both shall live this is til my contract is up and then we will see what happens.
The notion of players only being able to hear numbers from their current team is downright unethical.
All this serves is for the owners to lock up players at cap friendlier deals.
If it wasn’t for the cap would it even matter?

I think building a team and having a cap to work with is some of my favorite parts of the NFL.

many "average" employees have contracts.

I think that it would be a really terrible idea if there were no contracts. Just see who shows up today?

many "average" employees have contracts.

I think that it would be a really terrible idea if there were no contracts. Just see who shows up today?
I didn’t say get rid of contracts but players should be able to know their worth around the NFL prior to free agency.
I said I can see the cap being a thing of the past.

The majority of owners would never give up the cap. It gives all of them the kind of cost certainty a few of them would gladly blow to hell. The cap has also seriously improved competitive balance. It would be great if the cap calculation was significantly more tilted in the player's favor though. This isn't the old days where owning a team was a rich man's hobby and many teams lost money. Since the advent of the cap the owners have been guaranteed not just a profit but an obscene one, with no real attendant risk.

The majority of owners would never give up the cap. It gives all of them the kind of cost certainty a few of them would gladly blow to hell. The cap has also seriously improved competitive balance. It would be great if the cap calculation was significantly more tilted in the player's favor though. This isn't the old days where owning a team was a rich man's hobby and many teams lost money. Since the advent of the cap the owners have been guaranteed not just a profit but an obscene one, with no real attendant risk.
I think the pendulum will swing in the players direction sooner than later.

A whole $100K. The league sent a couple of interns over to clean it out of Woody's couch cushions

Goddell handing out fines like it's 1975 lol

I think the pendulum will swing in the players direction sooner than later.

That would be great but sadly I wouldn't count on it. The current CBA runs through 2030. I doubt the pendulum will swing meaningfully in the players direction without a strike that truly impacts owners. The problem there is the average NFL player's career is so short and the earnings window open so briefly any strike is going to be most impactful to the guys who are in the weakest position to take the hit and they make up the vast majority of the votes. It's the same position the players have always been in. Their union needs to build up a huge war chest to stand a chance. How does the union do that when the guys that would have to pay for it won't be the ones who benefit from it and they know it.

That would be great but sadly I wouldn't count on it. The current CBA runs through 2030. I doubt the pendulum will swing meaningfully in the players direction without a strike that truly impacts owners. The problem there is the average NFL player's career is so short and the earnings window open so briefly any strike is going to be most impactful to the guys who are in the weakest position to take the hit and they make up the vast majority of the votes. It's the same position the players have always been in. Their union needs to build up a huge war chest to stand a chance. How does the union do that when the guys that would have to pay for it won't be the ones who benefit from it and they know it.
That's why they try and it doesn't work, also there's so many players it makes it more difficult.

That's why they try and it doesn't work, also there's so many players it makes it more difficult.
We will see I think players are more entitled and savvy before they even hit the league.
Owners worst nightmare.

We will see I think players are more entitled and savvy before they even hit the league.
Owners worst nightmare.
If that starts to be a trend, the owners will slap that **** down hard. They control the money. They control the league.

Its all great that Deion wants to control the destinies of his colorado players, as soon as one of them takes a big hit in the wallet and drops in the draft because of his games, **** will get real awfully quick.

That NIL money some of those guys get wont last forever. And if dropping a prized recruit from r1 to r3, costing him millions? yeah, that sends the appropriate message... stranger things have been known to happen *cough - collusion to send a message - cough*

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back