PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirk Cousins on KJ Osborn

#1, #2... these are imaginary designations that nobody can explain or are vague at best.

Osborn's highest target total was the year before last, he caught 67% of his targets. He has average height, very good hands and good not great athleticism. But he has very good agility, he can get open and he'll catch the ball. Similar to a young Juju, similar to a shorter Bourne... steady, reliable. He's getting paid like it, so nobody should care he's not a #1... whatever that is.

#1, #2... these are imaginary designations that nobody can explain or are vague at best.

Osborn's highest target total was the year before last, he caught 67% of his targets. He has average height, very good hands and good not great athleticism. But he has very good agility, he can get open and he'll catch the ball. Similar to a young Juju, similar to a shorter Bourne... steady, reliable. He's getting paid like it, so nobody should care he's not a #1... whatever that is.
Oh really for the record we don't have any of those we are Loaded with #3's including Osbourne. They made a Kings Ransom offer to Ridley because they know he's a proven #2.

Last edited:
I thought he would get more than that, pretty cheap, 2 or 3 year contract wouldn't hurt, then the guy plays well and leaves, very Belicheckian signing.
A lot of these 1 year deals feel like a tryout to me. The Pats will have a lot of money as well next year and hopefully the rook QB progresses well and then next year guys that played well this year can be resigned, they should pursue some of the big name signings that people wanted this year. I think the staff is going about it in a very smart way, but I am in the minority with that opinion it seems.

I wouldn’t exactly call him a very good #2 either; #3 is more like it.
On this team? Currently he probably is a #1.. I think some don't understand.. KJ is a play maker.. guys got elite speed can run every route, excellent hands.. until we trade for a #1 IMO he will have to masquerade as one..

Oh really for the record we don't have any of those we are Loaded with #3's including Osbourne. They made a Kings Ransom offer to Ridley because they know he's a proven #2.
For my own edification, please tell me the difference between a 2 and a 3?

And what distinctly makes a #1? To this day nobody has been able to give me an answer.

And what distinctly makes a #1? To this day nobody has been able to give me an answer.
Wes Welker was #2 - Edelman morphed into a #2 - Troy Brown was a #3 yeah there's is a difference. Welker and Edelman were walking First Downs. I am sure you Remember Randy Moss even before he came here he was a True #1 who Open things up for the others.

Wes Welker was #2 - Edelman morphed into a #2 - Troy Brown was a #3 yeah theirs is a difference. Welker and Edelman were walking First Downs. I am sure you Remember Randy Moss even before he came here he was a True #1 who Open things up for the others.
Troy Brown’s best season statistically, when he was the center of the offense like Welker or Edelman, came in 2001 when he was 30 years old.

Statistically Brady was average that year, very efficient for a first time starter, but middle of the pack in pass yards per game. Welker and Edelman had Tom in both his prime and theirs.

I see Brown, Welker, Edelman and give them all a similar grade. I see two UDFA’s and a 7th round pick who played in the slot. If you wanted to designate them slot, X etc I would get it.

The fan based number system has no rhyme or reason. There’s no clear parameters, it’s kind of nonsensical.

Troy Brown’s best season statistically, when he was the center of the offense like Welker or Edelman, came in 2001 when he was 30 years old.

Statistically Brady was average that year, very efficient for a first time starter, but middle of the pack in pass yards per game. Welker and Edelman had Tom in both his prime and theirs.

I see Brown, Welker, Edelman and give them all a similar grade. I see two UDFA’s and a 7th round pick who played in the slot. If you wanted to designate them slot, X etc I would get it.

The fan based number system has no rhyme or reason. There’s no clear parameters, it’s kind of nonsensical.
Do you think Hill - Jefferson - Lamb - Chase and Adams are #1's??

Do you think Hill - Jefferson - Lamb - Chase and Adams are #1's??
I think they’re all great players. One of them is 5’8” and the rest closer to 6’2.” What makes them a #1?

I don’t use a number system, but rank them by size and athleticism.

I think they’re all great players. One of them is 5’8” and the rest closer to 6’2.” What makes them a #1?

I don’t use a number system, but rank them by size and athleticism.
I'll say this all those players keep DC's up at night drinking strong coffee ☕ and eating pizza. I want one of those guys for us.

# 1.. a guy DCs have to alter thier game plans for.. who requires double coverage all game long. Who has to constantly have the DCs attention every snap..

#2.. a guy who takes pressure off said #1 that can get favorable match ups or either commands that teams 2nd best CB.. who can also beat you deep

#3.. a guy who probably is in the best situation.. who will likely have match ups..mostly against 3rd and 4th CBs and safeties and will be able to have production in intermediate routes, seam routes and underneath..

Just my opinions..

I'll say this all those players keep DC's up at night drinking strong coffee ☕ and eating pizza. I want one of those guys for us.
Depends, if you have Gilmore or Law and a pass rush… those guys scare you a lot less.

Football is about matchups, not imaginary rankings based on who knows what.

BB didn’t use Gilmore on Tyreek, he used Jon Jones. There’s a tool for every job.

# 1.. a guy DCs have to alter thier game plans for.. who requires double coverage all game long. Who has to constantly have the DCs attention every snap..

#2.. a guy who takes pressure off said #1 that can get favorable match ups or either commands that teams 2nd best CB.. who can also beat you deep

#3.. a guy who probably is in the best situation.. who will likely have match ups..mostly against 3rd and 4th CBs and safeties and will be able to have production in intermediate routes, seam routes and underneath..

Just my opinions..
So Tyreek…

Everyone else they can just man Gonzalez up on.

So Tyreek…

Everyone else they can just man Gonzalez up on.
BBs defenses were only effective with a lock down CB.. I noticed this the defense of 2010s.. giving up 400 yards passing. "10 "11" & 12..

To your point man up gonzo and have Austin handle the the next guy..

BBs defenses were only effective with a lock down CB.. I noticed this the defense of 2010s.. giving up 400 yards passing. "10 "11" & 12..

To your point man up gonzo and have Austin handle the the next guy..
Those 2010 defenses suffered mainly because they gave a cornerstone sized contract to Ty Warren to replace Seymour and he immediately suffered a hip injury that ended his career. They were on the hook for all that money and cap space.

They also had a #1 pick taken from them and Tom was the highest paid player in the league so money was tight.

On average those were still top ten defenses in allowing points or were close to it, 2011 might have been the only season they weren’t. The offenses in those years were also softer and didn’t possess a power run element to them.

Last edited:
Those 2010 defenses suffered mainly because they gave a cornerstone sized contract to Ty Warren to replace Seymour and he immediately suffered a hip injury that ended his career. They were on the hook for all that money and cap space.

They also had a #1 pick taken from them and Tom was the highest paid player in the league so money was tight.

On average those were still top ten defenses in allowing point or were close to it, 2011 might have been the only season they weren’t. The offenses in those years were also softer and didn’t possess a power run element to them.
And they kept missing at the CB position. We hit on McCourty and something happened with him his 2nd year so he switched to safety. I remember I met Terrance Wheatley in a market basket one time.. he was saying how the defense is so complicated that his head was left spinning.. it's not an easy defense for young guys to come in and learn. But having the lock down CB is a necessity in this defense it allows everyone else up front to create havoc.

And they kept missing at the CB position. We hit on McCourty and something happened with him his 2nd year so he switched to safety. I remember I met Terrance Wheatley in a market basket one time.. he was saying how the defense is so complicated that his head was left spinning.. it's not an easy defense for young guys to come in and learn. But having the lock down CB is a necessity in this defense it allows everyone else up front to create havoc.
Yeah, they gave CB Leigh Bodden a good sized contract and he also got hurt which all but ended his career. When your QB is one of the highest paid players it shrinks the amount you have to spend elsewhere.

We see Buffalo having a mass exodus now, KC had to trade Tyreek Hill and sign some cheaper alternatives to their own free agents to keep afloat. Miami is going to be worse because Tua needs to get paid and they’re broke.

People hate to talk about salary cap, some see it as an excuse, but it has serious implications on team building and it has to be contended with.

Yeah, they gave CB Leigh Bodden a good sized contract and he also got hurt which all but ended his career. When your QB is one of the highest paid players it shrinks the amount you have to spend elsewhere.

We see Buffalo having a mass exodus now, KC had to trade Tyreek Hill and sign some cheaper alternatives to their own free agents to keep afloat. Miami is going to be worse because Tua needs to get paid and they’re broke.

People hate to talk about salary cap, some see it as an excuse, but it has serious implications on team building and it has to be contended with.
Yeah agree. Buffalo is experiencing that right now. I'm not so sure we don't have a better roster everywhere except the QB..

Our defense is better.. maybe thier O line is better? Unfortunately Salary cap is part of the league that teams have to go by.

Yeah agree. Buffalo is experiencing that right now. I'm not so sure we don't have a better roster everywhere except the QB..

Our defense is better.. maybe thier O line is better? Unfortunately Salary cap is part of the league that teams have to go by.
Hopefully Wolf and the collaborative do their jobs in the draft and remaining offseason.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back