PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Thursday Night Game: Colts vs. Jags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Thursday Night Game

I don't think the Pats of old parrellel this team. The Pats played close low scoring games that they won by slim margins even with some flukes and lucks, but they rarely were down for large portion of games like this Colts' team has been many times this year.

It is a testiment to Manning for being able to get out played for three quarters and then kick into third gear in the fourth and pull a win out of the jaws of defeat, but it was never how the Pats won in the early part of the decade. They might win a 9-3 slug feast where the Pats, but never were the Pats totally dominated by time of possession like this Colts team has or been down by three scores going into the fourth and turn it on.

Not that this Colts team won't be any less Super Bowl caliber than the Pats of 2001, 2003, or 2004 when everything is said and done, but I don't see this Colts' team being the same as the Pats of old. It doesn't mean they are worse, they are just different.

Well, except in the playoffs where they fold. They are a very good team, but they can't win the way they have won many games this year in the playoffs. That is what killed them last year. A top team in the playoffs is not going to let them back into the game like many teams have this year including the Patriots.

I didn't watch tonight's game so I can't judge this one.

well in the past with dungy they have restedplayers and were rusty in the first playoff game. This time @home with a bye i dont think its easy for any team to win there including SD.

well in the past with dungy they have restedplayers and were rusty in the first playoff game. This time @home with a bye i dont think its easy for any team to win there including SD.

I don't know if that is the reason they have lost every time they have.

In the 2003 season, the Colts totally dominated their first game two games in the playoffs and then got beat by the Pats.

In the 2004 season, Dungy rested Manning only the last game, but they ended up beating the Broncos 49-24 Wild Card weekend only to lose to the Pats in the division round.

Last year, Manning only rested the last game of the season (although he did play the first drive going 7 of 7 for 95 yards and TD in that game).

I think Dungy resting the Colts and them coming out cold is a little overstated. In 2003 and 2004, even after resting players in the regular season, the Colts won playoff games handily before losing to the Patriots deeper in the playoffs.

The Colts have won 7 games this season after trailing in the 4th quarter, an NFL record.

I don't know if that is the reason they have lost every time they have.

In the 2003 season, the Colts totally dominated their first game two games in the playoffs and then got beat by the Pats.

In the 2004 season, Dungy rested Manning only the last game, but they ended up beating the Broncos 49-24 Wild Card weekend only to lose to the Pats in the division round.

Last year, Manning only rested the last game of the season (although he did play the first drive going 7 of 7 for 95 yards and TD in that game).

I think Dungy resting the Colts and them coming out cold is a little overstated. In 2003 and 2004, even after resting players in the regular season, the Colts won playoff games handily before losing to the Patriots deeper in the playoffs.

well they tanked games even with a bye ..iam not talking 1 week rest. their loss to pitt in the first round, loss to SD in the first round @home.
either way , i think this is a better team with better defense at least so its going to hard for anyone to beat them

well they tanked games even with a bye ..iam not talking 1 week rest. their loss to pitt in the first round, loss to SD in the first round @home.
either way , i think this is a better team with better defense at least so its going to hard for anyone to beat them

They could end up being better, but I still don't think they could be in a situation like they were with the Patriots in the fourth quarter against several playoff teams and win. In fact, if that same Patriots team (as they were playing at that point in the season) were to go into Indy and were in that situation again, I can see them pulling out the victory.

The only year the Colts had extended rest for their starters was in 2005. Yes, it seriously hurt them in the loss against the Steelers. They didn't rest Manning until the last week of the season last year. So I don't count that as an extended rest.

I'm still not sure if this is the best Colts team of the decade yet. As Disco Volante pointed out, the Colts hold the record for most come from behind 4th quarter wins in a single season. It is far harder to come from behind in the fourth quarter in the playoffs especially where the refs typically allow more physical play with CBs and WRs.

This Colts team could do what the Pats couldn't do in 2007 or they could be yet another one and done team. They have a lot of the attributes that would help them do it, but there are things about this team not playing complete games that could hurt them in the playoffs.

Well, except in the playoffs where they fold. They are a very good team, but they can't win the way they have won many games this year in the playoffs. That is what killed them last year. A top team in the playoffs is not going to let them back into the game like many teams have this year including the Patriots.

I didn't watch tonight's game so I can't judge this one.
Rob my comment is more directed at the Colts being clutch and finding ways to win, just like the Pats were known for. Two different teams, two very different styles of play yet the same outcome.

They could end up being better, but I still don't think they could be in a situation like they were with the Patriots in the fourth quarter against several playoff teams and win. In fact, if that same Patriots team (as they were playing at that point in the season) were to go into Indy and were in that situation again, I can see them pulling out the victory.

The only year the Colts had extended rest for their starters was in 2005. Yes, it seriously hurt them in the loss against the Steelers. They didn't rest Manning until the last week of the season last year. So I don't count that as an extended rest.

I'm still not sure if this is the best Colts team of the decade yet. As Disco Volante pointed out, the Colts hold the record for most come from behind 4th quarter wins in a single season. It is far harder to come from behind in the fourth quarter in the playoffs especially where the refs typically allow more physical play with CBs and WRs.

This Colts team could do what the Pats couldn't do in 2007 or they could be yet another one and done team. They have a lot of the attributes that would help them do it, but there are things about this team not playing complete games that could hurt them in the playoffs.

agreed but the team has improved too since the last time they played the pats. Whereas we have regressed.Today's game is hard to judge-mathis and freeney sat out for extend periods which makes some difference.Most playoff games go both ways -very rarely are they one side so they might not play a complete game right now but still win.
Diff with the past pats teams is that those teams always led in the 4th quarter and finished the game except for this season.

THE 2006 AFC championship game Colts-Patriots
The biggest comeback in conference championship game history (18 pts), 1/21/07 vs. New England

The motto of the 2009 Quitriots.....When the going gets tough, quit!!!!!!!

The motto of the 2009 Quitriots.....When the going gets tough, quit!!!!!!!
Looks like someone has jumped on the Colts bannedwagon.

Your joke of a franchise calling ours quitters is hilarious. Enjoy the march to 16-1. I am not nearly as enamored with these overrated Colts as some of the other members of this board. Wait till you guys meet a real team, for the first time all season, when you get to the playoffs. It'll be one and done for your soft, indoor football team.

Last edited:
Let's be fair here

Your joke of a franchise calling ours quitters is hilarious. Enjoy the march to 16-1. I am not nearly as enamored with these overrated Colts as some of the other members of this board. Wait till you guys meet a real team, for the first time all season, when you get to the playoffs. It'll be one and done for your soft, indoor football team.

It's December in Indiana. Jumping on and off a bandwagon at least keeps one warm and the barnyard animals entertained.:D

Their soft, indoor football team who will only have to play soft and indoors to get to the Super Bowl?

Listen, I hate the Colts as much as the next guy and I'm amused that Colts fans haven't learned that all that matters is January, BUT they're the ones with homefield advantage, they're the ones pulling out wins from nowhere, and they're the ones generally playing how we wish we were playing.

Their soft, indoor football team who will only have to play soft and indoors to get to the Super Bowl?

Listen, I hate the Colts as much as the next guy and I'm amused that Colts fans haven't learned that all that matters is January, BUT they're the ones with homefield advantage, they're the ones pulling out wins from nowhere, and they're the ones generally playing how we wish we were playing.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with everything you said. OK, maybe, they won't get to play "soft...indoors" to get to the SB, but they will sure get to play "toasty warm indoors", i.e., not in the snow and sleet in Foxboro.

The Colts have been like a team on a mission to beat the Pats in the regular season these last few years after the experience of the Blade in January. I hand it to them for what they have done. I'm still not sold that they can put it all together in January, but I'll be less surprised this year than I would have been in the past.

Last edited:

agreed but the team has improved too since the last time they played the pats. Whereas we have regressed.Today's game is hard to judge-mathis and freeney sat out for extend periods which makes some difference.Most playoff games go both ways -very rarely are they one side so they might not play a complete game right now but still win.
Diff with the past pats teams is that those teams always led in the 4th quarter and finished the game except for this season.

I don't know if the Colts have improved since they played the Pats. They are pretty much the same team. I will agree the Pats have regressed, but I wasn't saying that if the Pats as they were playing now would even be in a situation where they are up by 17 points midway through the 4th.

I am just stating that the Colts are playing with fire in the playoffs if they continue playing poorly early in games and hope to pull out come from behind victories in the fourth quarter. Right now, I would say that would be more of a concern for them vs. San Deigo or Cincy than the Pats.

The Colts have won 7 games this season after trailing in the 4th quarter, an NFL record.

Howard "The Best In The Business At Stealing Signals" Mudd sure has proved his worth this season. No wonder why Manning was so vocal about his initial retirement announcement before the season.

Pulling out wins from now where? I think its obvious that their wins get pulled out from the refs waistline, in the form of a little yellow flag..Like phantom PI calls all season...and illegal formation/fals start penalties that come out of no where when the jags get first downs, and there are actually no flags thrown...

Unfortunately, I have to agree with everything you said. OK, maybe, they won't get to play "soft...indoors" to get to the SB, but they will sure get to play "toasty warm indoors", i.e., not in the snow and sleet in Foxboro.

The Colts have been like a team on a mission to beat the Pats in the regular season these last few years after the experience of the Blade in January. I hand it to them for what they have done. I'm still not sold that they can put it all together in January, but I'll be less surprised this year than I would have been in the past.

Yeah, I agree about the soft thing. It was just my way of saying that calling the Colts a soft indoor football team isn't much of an insult because they don't have to go out of their cozy little comfort zone.

I would dearly love to get them in Foxborough in January just once more, though. I want to see Peyton cry.

Pulling out wins from now where? I think its obvious that their wins get pulled out from the refs waistline, in the form of a little yellow flag..Like phantom PI calls all season...and illegal formation/fals start penalties that come out of no where when the jags get first downs, and there are actually no flags thrown...

Sure, they seem to get major breaks in a few games from PI calls particularly. But I'm not willing to buy in to a major conspiracy theory. And I'm certainly not willing to say that refereeing incompetence is the only reason they're undefeated. Like it or lump it, but the Colts' mentality changed once they got the Patriots-in-the-playoffs monkey off their back.

Now I would just like to get the opportunity to take that monkey and ram it up their collective arse.

Sure, they seem to get major breaks in a few games from PI calls particularly. But I'm not willing to buy in to a major conspiracy theory. And I'm certainly not willing to say that refereeing incompetence is the only reason they're undefeated. Like it or lump it, but the Colts' mentality changed once they got the Patriots-in-the-playoffs monkey off their back.

Now I would just like to get the opportunity to take that monkey and ram it up their collective arse.

Its not a conspiracy, its a fact...everyone knows it. I know fans of alot of different teams, and they all see it. NFLN lost some raitings yesterday at the end of the game cuz I know a few people, including myself who just shut that sh!t off after that bogus call near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3