PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Terry Bradshaw used roids

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would not surprise me if he used it to heal quicker, but the guys on that OLine, and probably the Steelers DLine probably used it to, but it was not for healing purposes.

Also, I used steroids as well, but it does not give me a competitive advantage coming to posting. Then again, I had to have them for my back though, as I got 4 bulging discs, and 2 of them are herniated/ruptured. So I am not sure if I am taking the illegal kind or not, only my doctor knows.

It would not surprise me if he used it to heal quicker, but the guys on that OLine, and probably the Steelers DLine probably used it to, but it was not for healing purposes.

Also, I used steroids as well, but it does not give me a competitive advantage coming to posting. Then again, I had to have them for my back though, as I got 4 bulging discs, and 2 of them are herniated/ruptured. So I am not sure if I am taking the illegal kind or not, only my doctor knows.

=======================================

Cheater! :)

Certainly doesn't give you an advantage since that would be the same class of steroid Bradshaw now claims he was talking about - corticosteroids (anti-inflamatories like prednisone, etc.). You would think though in this day and age folks would demand to know what doctors or others are recommending they ingest though since prolonged use of any steroid is not without potential serious risk.

Not sure if I believe Terry's clarification or not, but he certainly can't be naive enough at this juncture to think that all steroids are alike or his OL and DL were expanding exponentially on anti-inflamatories...then again...

People do need to be mindful of the time though. In the mid the late 70's the only thing we knew about steroids was they made it nearly impossible to differentiate the Soviet mens and womans teams...there was little talk of dire health consequences until Alzado went public as he was dying with a brain tumor. And there wasn't much of a hugger mentality in football in those days. Guys who got little if anything in the way of bonus money and had no rights as FA were expected do whatever it took to get back or stay on the field, and the pressure came from their coaches and ownership. It had less to do with greed or winning than survival. Use was likely as widespread, into the mid 80's, as Alzado claimed.

I am not sure that is being Fair. To compare one player's use to a team DR. And the team Dr of a franchise with a history of Steriod use. Now obviously I am more Likely to hear about A patriot issue than a steeler issue but I do remember Rodney's being caught got some decent coverage and I heard nothing of the Steeler scandal.

Are you in Boston? I'm in Detroit and I felt both got minimal coverage.

Re: OT: Bradshaw used roids

By "Bradshaw" I presume you mean "The Patriots", and by "used roids" I presume you mean "are the only team that has ever broken a rule and thus should be held to a different standard than anyone else and constantly demonized by the media". Because that's what I've come to learn.

Precise and insightful as usual, PJ. Are you going to rent out the flat for the duration of the Olympics and enjoy a little Training Camp action?

Re: OT: Bradshaw used roids

Precise and insightful as usual, PJ. Are you going to rent out the flat for the duration of the Olympics and enjoy a little Training Camp action?

Ah, I wish I could. I'll be back in good ole Rhody for a few weeks in July, but I head back to the Land of The Fake Rolex before TC begins. I'll be following Karen's and the other reports closely, though.

I live near Pittsburgh and people are in a uproar everytime i bring this up considering all that has happened with the pats.

To be consistant on this issue, I would like to say

I Love Terry Bradshaw!!!

Not to toot my own horn, but I wrote PFT the following email at 8:51.

Originally Posted by PatsFan24
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...909x1200208119

"Why is this not more mainstream? I mean Mike Golic was a so-so football player and his admission got some headlines, Bradshaw is a hall of famer a part of a dynasty, this should be getting press. This is not wholly different then SpyGate (meaning the Steelers "misinterpretation" of steroid use or abuse)"

At 9:07 he added a new posting on the Rumor Mill

Thanks. I think folks out here underestimate how lazy most reporters actually are. If you send them something they can verify they will frequently verify it themselves and run with it. On SB Sunday morning, I sent several reporters the data (and links to the verifying sites) concerning the money that Specter took from Comcast and its Lobbyist. At least one of them ran with it and actually sent me a "thank you" e-mail.

I live near Pittsburgh and people are in a uproar everytime i bring this up considering all that has happened with the pats.

Welcome to the Board and thanks for the comment.

Since Specter is a from Pennslvania, I've sent his office a letter asking when he will begin investigating the story. I don't expect an answer for a long time, but, when it comes, I have a feeling it will be a form letter saying how much the Senator appreciates my interest, blah, blah, blah...

Sorry guys, but anabolic steroids weren't made illegal in the United States until 1990.

According to Wikipedia:

The history of the U.S. legislation on anabolic steroids goes back to the late 1980s, when the U.S. Congress considered placing anabolic steroids under the Controlled Substances Act following the controversy over Ben Johnson's victory at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. During deliberations, the AMA, DEA, FDA as well as the NIDA all opposed listing anabolic steroids as controlled substances, citing the fact that use of these hormones does not lead to the physical or psychological dependence required for such scheduling under the Controlled Substance Act. Nevertheless, anabolic steroids were added to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act in the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990.

Schedule III, for those interested, means it's illegal to sell, obtain or possess the substance in question.

Steroid use in those days (the 70's, that is), was actually very, VERY much an experimental, let's-see-what-this-does-for-me act. Many researchers were actually convinced that anabolic steroids provided no more than a placebo effect. Aside from bodybuilders, Eastern Bloc athletes (pretty much all their OLY athlete's), and a small number of football players it wasn't even a mainstream topic until the 88 Olympics, that's how long it took for people to realize the potential (both good and bad) that steroids possessed.

You are misinformed. Under current US regulations, it is not illegal to "sell, obtain or possess" steroids. It is illegal to distribute or possess them without a Doctor's Prescription in accord with regulation.

"Schedule III" drugs are not "banned drugs." They are drugs whose distribution and possession is subject to a higher hurdle than drugs classified as Schedule IV or higher.

FYI, even Cocaine and Morphine are "just" schedule II drugs. In fact, you have to go all the way to schedule I to find drugs that are virtually completely banned in the US, such as LSD, Ecstasy and Heroin.

We could have a lengthy political discussion on another board about these regulations, but those are a few facts.

I'm pretty sure Specter is an Eagles fan, not a Steelers fan. We don't get along with those people down in Philthadelphia, he can have his Eagles. Our owner already put out that "we are past that stuff" about the "spygate" crapola. That had nothing to do with our losses to the Pats. Where the Broncos "spying" on us? How about them Chargers? So only the Pats "cheated"? Nope, fans like myself are way past that stuff. It helps getting that 5th ring. You can't imagine how much of that other garbage goes away when you see the 5th title on the shelf. Did the Cowboys "cheat" to beat us in the superbowl?

Once you go down that road, you start to see it everwhere. I leave that for the tinfoil hat wearing folks.

Oh, and I still Love Terry Bradshaw.

I think a lot of us would respond to the story differently if there were more fans like you. Right now, a lot of us feel like we've been hosed by the media and most fans.

I think a lot of us would respond to the story differently if there were more fans like you. Right now, a lot of us feel like we've been hosed by the media and most fans.

Well you were kind of hosed by most of the media. Once the fine and loss of draft pick came out for the violations of 2007 (jets game) that should have killed the issue. Crime committed, punishment handed out. Done.

I think the "quest for perfection" actually fed this story. It kept attention on the Pats, and that kept the espns of the world bringing up the crime that was already a dead issue. Once they beat the Colts, its just kept rolling along. Had they have lost early last year, the "spygate" story dies. That's my opinion. If it wasn't for the quest of undefeated, Old Dolphins aren't quoted as saying "tainted" and what not. And when legends of the sport speak, like Shula, people pay attention. Its gets published and its get re-hashed over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News