PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Student sent home for wearing Colts jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it? No lynching? Throwing rocks? Maybe light his car on fire in the parking lot?

The offseason at Pats fans.com : a 5 page thread about a high school student's jersey choice. :D :(

Last edited:
I'm not saying it is relevant to anyone or anything, it's an opinion.

I think we've beat this horse dead. :deadhorse:

And, yes, I take your point on your "opinion" and have no disagreement since we all have opinions about what should or should not be construed as free speech while acknowledging that it is (for example, I'm driven nuts by the prohibition of Nativity Scenes in public places at Christmas time and have the opinion that they should be permitted, but I acknowledge the principle on which they are banned).

Go Saints!

The offseason at Pats fans.com : a 5 page thread about a high school student's jersey choice. :D :(

Good comment! Would much rather be arguing about how the Pats stacked up against the Saints in tomorrow's game myself............

Why didn't they meet the principal ahead of the time?

I'm guessing they didn't imagine the guy would say, "Why don't you go back to Indiana!!"
I agree the principal butchered the whole 'local civic pride' concept, and the 'go back to Indiana' comment was out of line. But the point remains, the family knew the rule beforehand, and were warned it would be enforced. They didn't even attempt to reason with the principal ahead of time.

As for your last question, are you being serious? Your boss would say to you, everyone can wear a Peyton Manning jersey, but it's expressly forbidden to wear a Brees jersey? Your owner could say that?

Plus, this is a public school, not a private business. Dress codes are allowed. Breaking dress codes by allowing NFL jerseys does not allow a Principal to dictate his preference for jerseys.
As a matter of fact, I have worked for a company that allowed for employees to wear jerseys of the local team on specific days, temporarily relaxing the dress code. The theory was improving employee morale and unity in support of the local team. I didn't wear a Pats jersey in defiance that day because I liked them better. But I did let it be known that I objected and the dress code should be relaxed for all teams. At first I was rebuffed, saying this was a matter of local civic pride. Myself and two others took it further up the chain of command and he agreed; it was changed so employees could wear the jerseys of any team.

To me that is the route they should have taken, but they didn't even attempt. Talk to the principal and show how it is unfair to make it available only to Saints fans. Let him know you'll contact the ACLU if he doesn't go along. If he disagrees talk to his boss.

Don't get me wrong, I think the principal mishandled the situation - but the family mishandled it as well.

Fine. Nice end to the debate.

If I were him, since it was "Black and Gold Day, " I would have fashioned an ersatz Colts Jersey out of Black and Gold and worn that.

Good discussion! Now, Go Saints, beat the Dolts!!!

Or maybe wear a Bobby Hebert jersey and ask the principle who's such a "diehard fan" to pronounce the name

For those of us supporting Mr. Frost let us pray that the Saints win because if the unthinkable happens and that kid so much as smirks once for the next month he's going to suffer a wedgie of biblical proportions!

For those of us supporting Mr. Frost let us pray that the Saints win because if the unthinkable happens and that kid so much as smirks once for the next month he's going to suffer a wedgie of biblical proportions!

I too will root hard for the Saints... for the kid's safety of course :D

Last edited:
I hate the Colts. I am very much rooting for the Saints.

But I hope that kids sues the principal and wins so much money the principal loses his house and has to declare bankruptcy.

Such a one sided infringement of speech is about as un american as one can get. The principal has zero regard for American values and should not be an educator.

I think the kid was acting in the great American tradition of defending his right not to go along with the majority by exercising his right to freedom of expression.

In this case, he was presented with two options: wear his regular uniform or wear "Black and Gold." He felt that these options limited him in an unfair fashion by forcing him not to express strongly held sentiments in support of the Colts Franchise.

Brandon Frost chose the path of civil disobedience, bearing the full brunt of authority's crackdown (a little humorous overstatement before someone cites it), in this case a dreaded call out by the Principal.

Frost apparently complied under duress and is now seeking remedies to his standing and reputation. The scenario would only have been better if he had seated himself in the Principal's office and refused to remove the Jersey! What would they have done then? Had the local police evict him? Strip him? Oh man, what a story that would have been!

How can people in New England, the hotbed of a revolution that was fought for those very rights, not understand and support that.

You rock, Brandon Frost!

The next time your idiot principal declares "Black and Gold" day, fashion a Colts insignia out of Black and Gold and wear it to school; let's see what happens then.

Yea Brandon Frost is a BA, look at him breaking all the rules and not caring. Total Rebel:rolleyes:

The polls indicate the school was being ridiculous, did they even read the story??? The school actually has uniforms and they made an exception for black and gold that day. It's not just some regular public school where everybody can wear whatever they want. So really the kid was breaking the rules, if I read that correctly. Plus he was foretold that he would get in trouble for wearing blue.
Gimme a break. The kids don't have to wear uniforms so they can wear jerseys. They are wearing the jerseys of their favorite team.

I'd wear a Pats jersey if I had the choice of being the only kid in the whole school to wear a uniform and wearing a Jets jersey.

The school was wrong wrong wrong. This is a kid showing the colors of the team he follows. If they are required to wear uniforms, fine. If they can wear jerseys, it is wrong to make him wear the jersey of a team he doesn't like.

No excuse for singling him out that way. None.

If this took place at Indy, and a kid was sent home for wearing a Pats jersey, you'd all be singing a different tune.

This is a high school kid. Let's keep our priorities, shall we?

This reminds me of an old joke -

A kid goes to school in New York wearing a Patriots jersey. The teacher asks him why he's a Patriots fan.

The kid replies "because my parents are Patriots fans."

The teacher replies "That's silly. If both your parents were morons, would you one too?"

Kid says "No, then I'd be a jets fan."

getting sent home early from a school where decisions like that are made is hardly a punishment

also how do you not get banned or something for suggesting the kid was mentally impaired for wearing a piece of clothing

wasn't the kid wearing a gomer jersey? gomer pyle with down syndrome. so isn't it actually likely that the kid was umm..impaired.

:singing:

This is really simple Sh*t, It wasnt "wear your favorite teams jersey day" It was wear black and gold day if you support the Saints. The kid could have easily just worn his uniform and a Colts hat and he wouldnt have been kicked out, but no the Kid wanted to be a Rebel and show off so he decided he was going to dress down and wear a Colts jersey. If he wore a Seahawks jersey he would have still been kicked out (a dention would have been a better option than sending the kid home). On days where there are pep rallies at my school you have the option of wearing Red and White (school colors) or your uniform. If you go into school with a Green and white shirt there should be consiquences. The Principle was simply alowing the kids to dress down for a day only if they were wearing Black and Gold, this kid decided he wanted to be a Bad Ass and go against the rules and he got punished.

So if this was support Classic Music week and he wore a Motley Crue shirt and was sent home for it, would the parents have contacted the ACLU and news media. I think not! I think this is just parents trying to make a name for themselves or get some money out of it!

As wrong as it was, I won't lie I find the entire concept slightly amusing. I just wish it was a Saints fan that got sent home in Indy, so I could hate the Colts a little more.

Honestly though, the principal will probably argue that since that they didn't have extra clothes or w/e that sending him home was in his best interest. Safety w/e. If the entire school is wearing black&gold and there's one colts fan. They're probably going to give him endless ****.

The principal had a perfect oppertunity to talk about diversity. Diversity of ideas, diversity of values, diversity of color, diversity of favorite sports team. And instead of using that oppertunity to promote the idea we can have different views and still get a long he used it to teach the student of that school that the proper and approrpreate way to deal with anyone who is at all different than you is HATE.

I would not let my student go to such a school as that unless they fired the principal.

My problem with the whole thing is he asked if he could was told no it would be aganst the rules and still did it was clearly done for attention outside of the realm of school casue hte parents had ot be smart enough to know everyone would find out espcally once the called the ACLU.

This was brought up a couple of years ago about another team another city.

To me, it's a safety concern for the kid. He's wearing a Colts jersey in NO during their biggest game ever. Now I'm sure that there are many kids there would want to beat him up for that. There are certain types of kids who are looking for any excuse to beat someone up.

As a parent I would not let the kid leave the house in NO with a Colts jersey on. Maybe he has a right to do so, but he chould end up seriously hurt or in the hospital. Sometimes the brain has to veto the emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back