Popularity Contest: Big O versus SportsGuy

• Ordway

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Simmons

Votes: 57 66.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
don't tell me, let me guess....Cumma Out Loudly?

Longtime fan of his column starting in the early 1990's. People who criticize his lack of sports knowledge or selling out to LA don't read him. People read Simmons because of his take on popular culture, movies, The White Shadow, celebrity nudes. etc., he's a talented funny writer. So, yeah I am defending someone I like, but I have never been to Vegas with him.

I read Simmons quite often, actually, although I haven't read him in the past few months because I decided to take a break. His knowledge of sports isn't particularly impressive or expansive, and he's definitely sold out to some degree. He's a funny writer, albeit a bit stale after all these years, and he uses his readers' e-mail well.

Frankly, I didn't think any of that was in question.

The moral of the story, as always: women ruin everything.

I just listened to the podcast and it seems to me this whole thing is overblown.

Bashing Ordway was good for Simmons' ratings when he was starting out, now bashing Simmons is good for Ordway's ratings.

I don't think there's anything more to it than this. Maybe Simmons comes off as a little petty, but only a little. I can't imagine too many people are going to care either way.

BTW, I didn't see this posted anywhere so here's the link to the podcast:
http://cstvpodcast.cstv.com.edgesuite.net/felger/111009_Simmons.mp3?_kip_ipx=2084616940-1258231012

I read Simmons quite often, actually, although I haven't read him in the past few months because I decided to take a break. His knowledge of sports isn't particularly impressive or expansive, and he's definitely sold out to some degree. He's a funny writer, albeit a bit stale after all these years, and he uses his readers' e-mail well.

Frankly, I didn't think any of that was in question.

The moral of the story, as always: women ruin everything.

This was in response to a poster earlier who wanted to press criminal charges against Simmons, not the original posted question. I agree Simmons comes off petty because he has harbored this tremendous dislike of Ordway for more than 15 years. John Dennis when I use to listen, had a tremendous dislike for Phil Michaelson and Danny Ainge, never knew why.

You guys are the only ones not making money off of this. Hopefully Simmons and Ordway will at least give the OP a tip of the cap for promoting their book/radio show.

I heard Simmons on Felgers show bash The Big Show.....

I don't think I have ever nodded my head up and down more.

Simmons was spot on. Loved it

I'm amazed that show is still on the air. Bunch of dumb animals on that show.[/QUOTE

Pete may be a blowhard but the Ordway, Smerlas and Steve are intelligent and rich to boot.

So this is between an obnoxious fat slob whose radio show is impossible to listen to for more than 10 minutes at a time and a 40 year old man whose sports knowledge is no better than anyone who watches sportscenter, has been telling the same pop culture jokes for 20 years, and still calls his friends by college nicknames which at his age should be cause for his execution?

Is there a 3rd choice? At least a none of the above?

Last edited:
So this is between an obnoxious fat slob whose radio show is impossible to listen to for more than 10 minutes at a time and a 40 year old man whose sports knowledge is no better than anyone who watches sportscenter, has been telling the same pop culture jokes for 20 years, and still calls his friends by college nicknames which at his age should be cause for his execution?

Is there a 3rd choice? At least a none of the above?

Nicknames are for life, being called Joey or Tommy should discontinue at 40. This whole knowledge question is stupid, only a handful of sportswriters, Ross Tucker, Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt who all played the game, have more knowledge than the dedicated fan.

To really understand Simmons you have to remember that he is not a typical press guy. He sits in the stands with his Dad. Watches games on TV and talks about them on the phone with his friends. Never in the press box. He is a sports fan who writes about sports.

I like Simmons and I like the Big Show so speaking as someone who likes both these media personalities, IMHO Simmons is being the jackass here. Of course that won't affect my continuing to read him and it doesn't really bother me either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News