Popularity Contest: Big O versus SportsGuy

• Ordway

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Simmons

Votes: 57 66.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you want about Simmons' knowledge of every other sport (he's terrible w/ football, in particular), but the guy knows basketball. Frankly, I just wish he'd stick to writing about basketball and leave everything else alone.

Simmons is way past his shelf date.

I was a big fan of his from Jurassic Internet times at digital city but sadly the whiner peaked in February 2002 with his fine article on the Pats SB win that perfectly captured the perspective of long suffering Pats fans. Great piece. Sadly, the guy has gone all West coast on us. No longer has even a clue about what's happening with the Patriots. This cultural disconnect was exemplified by his pathetic performance during Spygate.

Stick a fork in this once great writer. He is dead to me.

Last edited:
I find Simmons to be an extrmely petty person. He seems like the kind of guy that takes pot shots and runs away to his typewriter. It's too bad, I used to really like him back in the day.

Simmons is the most read columnist at ESPN, which is sports highest rated web site. Ordway is a local radio guy at WEEI, so it is Ordway who is dominated on the famous scale. Simmons has been feuding with Ordway since his days at Boston.com before it became the Globe. Ordway treated him badly according to Simmons, he won't let it go. Payback can be a ***** Glen.

not that I give a crap or have a preference but YOU are way off base, in fact WRONG, about a couple of points. EEI and ESPN have formed a business partnership. You must have been pulling a Rip Van Winkle the past few months.Furthermore, it seems like YOU think Simmons working for ESPN is some sort of class distinction, relegating an EEI to the low rent district?? Well, once again, WTF rock have YOU been hiding under since 2007? BullcrapSportsNetwork is more or less HATED WITH A VENGEANCE around these here parts, pard, for their unbelievably unprofessional, petty, vindictive and near criminal week after week assaults on the Patriots organization. Im sort of leery about how this will affect the shows on EEI but as far a Simmons goes, well, THIS IDIOT is sniping a part of the SAME organization the HE works for, which if THAT isn't near sub-mongoloidal, is dyam close.

I hope Simmons will take his own advice and get the hell out of California and soon. I think he's slowly getting the idea he's lost his angle.

That being said, even Simmons at his nadir (which he most certainly is now), he's still far more interesting than the Big Show. I can't stand that big carwreck.

not that I give a crap or have a preference but YOU are way off base, in fact WRONG, about a couple of points. EEI and ESPN have formed a business partnership. You must have been pulling a Rip Van Winkle the past few months.Furthermore, it seems like YOU think Simmons working for ESPN is some sort of class distinction, relegating an EEI to the low rent district?? Well, once again, WTF rock have YOU been hiding under since 2007? BullcrapSportsNetwork is more or less HATED WITH A VENGEANCE around these here parts, pard, for their unbelievably unprofessional, petty, vindictive and near criminal week after week assaults on the Patriots organization. Im sort of leery about how this will affect the shows on EEI but as far a Simmons goes, well, THIS IDIOT is sniping a part of the SAME organization the HE works for, which if THAT isn't near sub-mongoloidal, is dyam close.

Easy. Breath and reach for the meds. He's not off-base. The distinction is he's making is National/Local. Why does that make you mad?

The Simmons/98.5 segment was pretty weak. Over 10 minutes talking about another station. I hate to agree with Maz, but let it go. I think Simmons demeans himself talking about The Big Show.

But then again, I live in LA.

Easy. Breath and reach for the meds. He's not off-base. The distinction is he's making is National/Local. Why does that make you mad?

The Simmons/98.5 segment was pretty weak. Over 10 minutes talking about another station. I hate to agree with Maz, but let it go. I think Simmons demeans himself talking about The Big Show.

But then again, I live in LA.

uh...well you hit it right on the head...I won't argue with you, Hardboiled but don't ask me WHY I get heated when I read this crap. I live HERE...you can call me a local yokel from out there in LA and put me down as some troglodytic New England misanthrope but ,despite YOUR catbird seat, I have taken GREAT UMBRAGE to the depiction of the NFL football team I live within 50 miles of by the hordes of genius party members in such fine centers of human intelligence as St Louis(you know,home to former MENSA members like Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner). The day in and day out LA Times columns for what seemed like 12 months straight, stridently crying 'FOUL CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!" and ripping and tearing at off topics like "SHOULDN'T WE SUSPECT THE CELTICS TOO????? really incensed THIS little small minded local southern New Englander.So let me apologize for being a tad sensitive about being heckled and insulted and threatened with violence as I travel interstate, my kids unwilling to wear their team hats on vacation at Disney and such, because as YOU say..."just calm down you oversensitive moron, out here in LA we, the genii, know what's best for you to think"....I will say this, in all honesty though, it might be a good idea for anyone you may know from the genius centers outside of the little southern NE fiefdom I live in,to be aware that if they run their mouths around here with that crap they might not be able to cash those checks with their azz that their mouths are writing out.

Say what you want about Simmons' knowledge of every other sport (he's terrible w/ football, in particular), but the guy knows basketball. Frankly, I just wish he'd stick to writing about basketball and leave everything else alone.

I disagree - Bill Simmons does not know basketball...he might watch a lot of basketball, but he does not know basketball. I truly question whether Simmons has played the game at all, even just pickup bball.

Last edited:
don't ask me WHY I get heated when I read this crap.

I guess I don't know what "crap" you are referring to. The guy was comparing Simmon's national presense to Orway being a local market player (albeit a very successful one).

I live HERE...you can call me a local yokel from out there in LA and put me down as some troglodytic New England misanthrope

How did I do that?

but ,despite YOUR catbird seat,

My reference to my location was due to comments regarding Simmons being too long in LA. Nothing more. Again, relax.

I have taken GREAT UMBRAGE to the depiction of the NFL football team I live within 50 miles of by the hordes of genius party members in such fine centers of human intelligence as St Louis(you know,home to former MENSA members like Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner). The day in and day out LA Times columns for what seemed like 12 months straight, stridently crying 'FOUL CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!" and ripping and tearing at off topics like "SHOULDN'T WE SUSPECT THE CELTICS TOO????? really incensed

I thought this thread was about Simmons vs. WEEI.

THIS little small minded local southern New Englander.So let me apologize for being a tad sensitive about being heckled and insulted and threatened with violence as I travel interstate, my kids unwilling to wear their team hats on vacation at Disney and such,

Oh, it's about you. My bad.

it might be a good idea for anyone you may know from the genius centers outside of the little southern NE fiefdom I live in,to be aware that if they run their mouths around here with that crap they might not be able to cash those checks with their azz that their mouths are writing out.

Sweet. All this because a guy said ESPN is national and WEEI is local?

If I have a choice whether to listen to Ordway and the chaos that passes for conversation on WEEI's afternoon show or read a column written by Simmons, that's an absolute, no-brainer slam-dunk. Simmons in a landslide.

That said, I still enjoy WEEI and when I'm driving, obviously I cannot read Simmons' work.

Well put. It's the nature of both businesses. But I'd suggest checking out some of Simmons' podcasts. You have to be selective with them - there are gems and clunkers.

Simmons is taller ... he must be taller.

Sorry Hardboiled....sometimes I go all James Joyce stream of consciousness at the merest hint of national/local disparity.Pay no attention. I was pretty hungry....had a lobstah salad sammich....everything's fine now.
icon10.gif

Where am I wrong, Simmons is the most read Sportswriter at ESPN.com. ESPN.com is the most popular sports website in the world. Ordway works for a local radio station. Simmons has the #1 book on the NY Times non-fiction list. Criminal reporting, surely you can't be serious. Ordway is a mean arrogant no talent SOB and his past caught up with him.

Where am I wrong, Simmons is the most read Sportswriter at ESPN.com. ESPN.com is the most popular sports website in the world. Ordway works for a local radio station. Simmons has the #1 book on the NY Times non-fiction list. Criminal reporting, surely you can't be serious. Ordway is a mean arrogant no talent SOB and his past caught up with him.

Ordway's contract expired at the end of 2008 and in his last appearance before heading out on a year-end vacation, he told listeners he wasn't sure he'd be returning. But he reached agreement with Entercom, WEEI's parent company, on what the Boston Herald reported was a five-year contract worth more than $1 million per year.

The Herald also reported WEEI was "negotiating" to simulcast the show on television. The two most likely landing spots on TV would be Comcast and NESN. Ordway has a relationship with Comcast -- the network telecasts his football show during the Patriots season -- but NESN recently canceled its Globe 10.0 show and could be in the market for more local programming.

Ordway signs five-year contract to stay at WEEI; show may be simulcast on TV - Projo Sports Blog

Maybe if I'm really, really lucky, my past will catch up to me in precisely the same manner.

Patpartizen, I responded to Joker's post. I think he reacted to something other than your post. All is good. He gets it and I get what you were saying.

Give him points for comparing his own posts to James Joyce. I grew up (< 10miles from Gillette) thinking I must read Joyce to understand literature and life. We live and learn.

And DI, I am sure that the line "past has caught up with him" didn't imply a monetary decline about Ordway's wealth - but a critical increase about the content of The Big Show's material.

Last edited:
Ordway signs five-year contract to stay at WEEI; show may be simulcast on TV - Projo Sports Blog

Maybe if I'm really, really lucky, my past will catch up to me in precisely the same manner.

I'm talking about Ordway's past personal history with Bill Simmons. Simmons started out at Digital City where he wrote hundreds of columns about Boston sports on-air personalities. Thru sources at BU (Masters Journalism), Boston Herald (working Part-time) and thru bartending, Simmons was connected. Simmons wrote many times about what a horrible person Ordway was, how he mistreated co-workers, and was a complete Diva. I'm not saying people don't like his on air show and is not entitled to his million dollars a year. Many successful performers have out of control egos. Agree that Simmons does harbor a grudge.

Where am I wrong, Simmons is the most read Sportswriter at ESPN.com. ESPN.com is the most popular sports website in the world. Ordway works for a local radio station.Of course,13 years of Celtics color with Most doesn't mean much. Simmons was a punk coffee boy in some twerpy third rate news office...krist Simmons has the #1 book on the NY Times non-fiction list.so did the Mayflower Madam...so what? Criminal reporting, surely you can't be serious.sure I can...what you MISSED Tomase's hatchet job the week before the Super Bowl???You ignored the ESPN heads DAILY onslaught of "Spygate!!Spygate!!!Spygate!!!" propelled by morons like Schefter gaggling about "here's how it was done!!!"...krist..are you the original bubble boy or what? Ordway is a mean arrogant no talent SOB and his past caught up with him.he's a rich little fat pr!ck who's used his short man's complex to rise to the top of the Boston sports market...you would try to have me believe this equates to owning a Hess station in Frog Hollow ,Arkansas??

what the eff??? are you related to this idiot Simmons or what?

I know I can Cyrano De Bergerac now and then but YOU write like you're a Simmons family relative...are you?

BTW...I am a graduate of the B.U. School of Engineering, '73...and retired for 6 years...so I'm not really jealous of Bill Simmons, I just think he's a weasley little twerp and this catfight between him and Ordway belongs on Jerry Springer.

Last edited:

I know I can Cyrano De Bergerac now and then but YOU write like you're a Simmons family relative...are you?

BTW...I am a graduate of the B.U. School of Engineering, '73...and retired for 6 years...so I'm not really jealous of Bill Simmons, I just think he's a weasley little twerp and this catfight between him and Ordway belongs on Jerry Springer.

Longtime fan of his column starting in the early 1990's. People who criticize his lack of sports knowledge or selling out to LA don't read him. People read Simmons because of his take on popular culture, movies, The White Shadow, celebrity nudes. etc., he's a talented funny writer. So, yeah I am defending someone I like, but I have never been to Vegas with him.

Last edited:
good enough...chalk it up to different strokes...

What a coincidence. I am a graduate of my mom's vajayjay, '73.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes