PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Shaking down taxpayers for stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon thanks NFL for providing timeline

How can St. Louis even justify this when the Dome is just barely 20 years old (opened in late 1995).

Those were 30 year bonds for the Dome.

I am totally for a law that prevents an obscene amount of taxpayer money being devoted to entertainment. I wouldn't want a wholesale ban because many cities fund youth and amateur sports, and I think that is good and proper. But here we are talking about $1 billion after you just spent a gob of money 20 years ago, and you haven't even paid the old stadium off. For what and for who? Billionaires, and arrogant league that doesn't give a damn about the fans in any given city. NO.

In fact, I'd take it one step further. There is no way that luxury boxes and tickets should be considered corporate tax write-offs. You want to watch a game? Fine. Watch it on your own dime. All that corporate money swamps the market and drives up ticket prices for both regular people and for season ticket holders. Let them write off the dinners at a restaurant before the game--OK, that's fine. But the luxury box funding comes out of pocket. No writeoffs.

I am totally for a law that prevents an obscene amount of taxpayer money being devoted to entertainment.
I'd tweak what you wrote to :

"I am totally for a law that prevents any taxpayer money being devoted to professional sports."

With two MLB pitchers (Price, Greinke) just getting two deals that combine for close to HALF A BILLION dollars, I think they can build their own stadiums.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon thanks NFL for providing timeline

How can St. Louis even justify this when the Dome is just barely 20 years old (opened in late 1995).

Those were 30 year bonds for the Dome.

I am totally for a law that prevents an obscene amount of taxpayer money being devoted to entertainment. I wouldn't want a wholesale ban because many cities fund youth and amateur sports, and I think that is good and proper. But here we are talking about $1 billion after you just spent a gob of money 20 years ago, and you haven't even paid the old stadium off. For what and for who? Billionaires, and arrogant league that doesn't give a damn about the fans in any given city. NO.

In fact, I'd take it one step further. There is no way that luxury boxes and tickets should be considered corporate tax write-offs. You want to watch a game? Fine. Watch it on your own dime. All that corporate money swamps the market and drives up ticket prices for both regular people and for season ticket holders. Let them write off the dinners at a restaurant before the game--OK, that's fine. But the luxury box funding comes out of pocket. No writeoffs.

What you say makes absolute and complete sense, which means.... it ain't happening.

christie-jones.jpg

I would prefer cities to require a contract of an appropriate length when they agree to fund a stadium rather than laws. I agree 100% about the write offs.

In DC, the Nationals ballpark came to over $1 billion in the final reckoning. The eventual owners of the Nats got the park and didn't pay a cent for it. Meanwhile, the metro is falling apart and public schools are being replaced with charters, while plans to fight homelessness come and go without any real progress, and even the current shelter is dilapidated. But hey we have a baseball team that draws 12,000 a game, so that's something.

In DC, the Nationals ballpark came to over $1 billion in the final reckoning. The eventual owners of the Nats got the park and didn't pay a cent for it. Meanwhile, the metro is falling apart and public schools are being replaced with charters, while plans to fight homelessness come and go without any real progress, and even the current shelter is dilapidated. But hey we have a baseball team that draws 12,000 a game, so that's something.

After reading that.......

I just want to throw up

there needs to be a new law, in order to become an elected official, you must play a game of simcity 2000 and then it will be judged by people who know what the **** they are doing.

After reading that.......

I just want to throw up

When you realize, it is not much different for other industries. When a large Pharma company came to the area, the state spent close to $500 million to redo the buildings and roads. The Pharma company stayed about 2 years before moving everything to China.

Bucs just shook down us taxpayers in Tampa, but at least they hit the tourist first for the tax revenue needed. While their upgrades are severely needed, it just ruffles my feathers that these billionaire owners don't pay for their own ****.

When you realize, it is not much different for other industries. When a large Pharma company came to the area, the state spent close to $500 million to redo the buildings and roads. The Pharma company stayed about 2 years before moving everything to China.

Don't worry, they'll be back when labor in your state starts costing less than it does in China because wages and real compensation are ridiculously low. Already happening in the South, where Chinese factories are employing people at the minimum wage. Though the states will say it's a big benefit, it doesn't actually do anything because their taxes and wages are so low that it doesn't add much to aggregate demand or the tax base.

Yeah, but that cheap prick Kraft built his without taxpayer help, other than for some highway infrastructure, and didn't ever have the greatest fan rip-0ff ever-PSLs. What a suck owner.

Bucs just shook down us taxpayers in Tampa, but at least they hit the tourist first for the tax revenue needed. While their upgrades are severely needed, it just ruffles my feathers that these billionaire owners don't pay for their own ****.

That stadium isn't that old. What upgrades are they doing?

I am disgusted. And the country/media is more worried about same sex marriage than stealing our tax dollars for billionaires personal gain. It's enough to make me want to start a revolution but I would be labeled a "terrorist".

Isn't it even newer than Gillette?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in Tampa when they demolished the old Sombrero and built the new one. I can't remember but think it was in the late 90s, so maybe 17 years.

I am disgusted. And the country/media is more worried about same sex marriage than stealing our tax dollars for billionaires personal gain. It's enough to make me want to start a revolution but I would be labeled a "terrorist".

Yea corporate welfare or billionaire welfare. Damn the middle class.

Govt should provide only the things enumerated in the Constitution and not sports facilities

I agree. Only difference is that their are high paying jobs involved and the company leaves the office space can be rented out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe