PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Romeo close to joining Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess these guys don't want to seem like they're taking a step back? Maybe they feel like they already did everything they can do with the Pats? Bummer either way, I would have liked to see Romeo back here.

Or that they don't pay their coaches well.

People are assuming Weis or Crennel would have wanted to come back to the Patriots had we contacted them. Never assume anything.

And to add insult to injury, SeaHawks are interested in Reese for their GM post :mad:

This is simply not acceptable :(

The word is that they didn't much care for the pathetic Patriot fanbase.

I'm a Chiefs fan looking for any info you can give me on Romeo. Is he aggressive? Is he creative? Was it all BB? Anything has to be better than Clancy freaking Pendergast.

I'm a Chiefs fan looking for any info you can give me on Romeo. Is he aggressive? Is he creative? Was it all BB? Anything has to be better than Clancy freaking Pendergast.

He's aggressive. He's creative. It's hard to say how much was Romeo and how much was BB and how much was the great players Romeo had, but the D really excelled back then and was good at covering the weaknesses of one unit, like the secondary in 2004. He's not a very dynamic guy personally, it would seem.

Everyone here pining for Romeo says alot, although you should understand that most coordinators are idiots when they're in NE and become geniuses the second they leave. Or so it seems if you read this board.

Many fans here wanted him back. You are in great hands with Pioli, Weis and Crennel.

I don't know about a good OC, but I could see Al Groh as a new DC. He was just let go by Virginia. Groh was the guy who replaced BB when he quit the Jets.

People are assuming Weis or Crennel would have wanted to come back to the Patriots had we contacted them. Never assume anything.

BB's second stint with Parcells probably left him wondering why Weiss or RAC would want to come back and how it would work if they did.

You wish to go to join the band??? CYA!!!!

Romeo, Romeo, wherefor art thou? Come, let me clutch thee...

LOL

Working for little Bill was a lot better than working for big Bill but at the end of the day you want to work for yourself and in order to do so you have to prove it wasn't all Bill...

These guys left on fine terms. In RAC's case they haven't been close since because until he got fired he was a competitor. Charlie was here every TC. Still, for either of them to get a second chance at HC'ing they need to prove they can make a difference somewhere Belichick isn't the HC. Same deal for Pioli, although in doing this he's really behaving like he's not all that sure he can...

Last edited:
He's aggressive. He's creative. It's hard to say how much was Romeo and how much was BB and how much was the great players Romeo had, but the D really excelled back then and was good at covering the weaknesses of one unit, like the secondary in 2004. He's not a very dynamic guy personally, it would seem.

Everyone here pining for Romeo says alot, although you should understand that most coordinators are idiots when they're in NE and become geniuses the second they leave. Or so it seems if you read this board.

It would probably be better to ask Browns fans how their defense was. Although Romeo was the HC there he was hired to build that defense. He possibly faced some resistence from his GM , but then again when asked by the owner for input he backed the guy...

Romeo was an implementor here. He was not an architect although he had some input as all of Bill's staff always has. If you're looking for the creative genius who devised gameplans that now reside in Canton, that was Bill.

Did RAC and BB separate on bad terms or something? First Weis now this! Please come back RAC!!

There was that little matter of McGinest somehow knowing where he'd be playing next before the season ended...And he did take on Jeff Davidson when he left in a huff over Josh getting the job. RAC actually made him his OL coach and then his Assistent HC and OC and we all know how well that went for both of them...

I don't know about a good OC, but I could see Al Groh as a new DC. He was just let go by Virginia. Groh was the guy who replaced BB when he quit the Jets.

I've wondered if Groh is heading back to the pros. Seems there is talk about him being Dolphins DC.

Groh interested in Dolphins. blogs.palmbeachpost.com

Al Groh could be interested in Dolphins’ opening, but says “Any speculation would be very premature.”
by Edgar Thompson
Friends and coaching peers since the 1960s, Al Groh and Bill Parcells talk all the time.

But Groh claims Parcells has yet to reach out to him about becoming the Miami Dolphins next defensive coordinator, replacing Paul Pasqualoni, who was fired Monday.

“I just actually found out about this 30 minutes ago,” Groh told The Palm Beach Post tonight.

But Groh said it’s not difficult for anyone to “put 2 and 2 together” and see Groh and Parcells together for a sixth time.

In 1968, Groh worked with Parcells as the defensive line coach of the plebe squad at Army. Groh was Parcells’ defensive coordinator in 1978 at Air Force.

Later, Groh coached linebackers for Parcells with the Giants in 1989-90 and the Jets in 1997-99. He also was the Patriots defensive coordinator under Parcells in 1993-96 and the Jets head coach in 2000 when Parcells was the team’s general manager.

Groh said no two men have impacted his coaching career like Parcells and Bill Belichick.

“I’m been fortunate enough to be associated with two guys who are going into the NFL Hall of Fame,” Groh said. “Great ties to those guys. Great appreciation for what they would do for me.”

Parcells might soon be asking Groh to do something for him and turn around a Dolphins’ defense that may have cost the team a spot in the playoffs.

In the last three weeks with a playoff spot on the line, Miami fell behind by double digits during the first half of losses to Tennessee, Houston and Pittsburgh.

The Dolphins defense allowed 390 points, third-most in the AFC, an NFL-high 140 points during the fourth quarter. Miami ranked 15th in the AFC in passing yards per play (13.3 yards) and forced just 21 turnovers.

The next time Groh’s cell phone rang, it could have been the Big Tuna himself.

“To say that we haven’t spoken would be untruthful because he and I speak over the course of the year,” Groh said. “Have I spoken with Bill? Sure I have.

“But about a number of things over a period of time.”

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Groh is close to becoming the new defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech. Groh recently was fired after nine seasons as head coach at his alma mater, the University of Virginia.

Groh’s interest in Georgia Tech could have played a part in the timing of Pasqualoni’s departure on Monday.

“Any speculation to that possibility would be very premature at this point,” Groh said. “I have a certain criteria in place for which I’m interested. It starts with the people that are involved. I’m open to anything that would fit that criteria.

“That doesn’t mean anything or everything.”

It clearly would mean coaching for Parcells.

Groh, 65, said he will be coaching somewhere in 2010.

“I’m very much looking forward to the next season and a number of seasons after that,” he said.​

Last edited:
Pats could be "shovel ready" for Groh

Obviously, Groh would make a great choice for DC.

I've wondered if Groh is heading back to the pros. Seems there is talk about him being Dolphins DC.

Groh interested in Dolphins. blogs.palmbeachpost.com

Al Groh could be interested in Dolphins’ opening, but says “Any speculation would be very premature.”
by Edgar Thompson
Friends and coaching peers since the 1960s, Al Groh and Bill Parcells talk all the time.

But Groh claims Parcells has yet to reach out to him about becoming the Miami Dolphins next defensive coordinator, replacing Paul Pasqualoni, who was fired Monday.

“I just actually found out about this 30 minutes ago,” Groh told The Palm Beach Post tonight.

But Groh said it’s not difficult for anyone to “put 2 and 2 together” and see Groh and Parcells together for a sixth time.

In 1968, Groh worked with Parcells as the defensive line coach of the plebe squad at Army. Groh was Parcells’ defensive coordinator in 1978 at Air Force.

Later, Groh coached linebackers for Parcells with the Giants in 1989-90 and the Jets in 1997-99. He also was the Patriots defensive coordinator under Parcells in 1993-96 and the Jets head coach in 2000 when Parcells was the team’s general manager.

Groh said no two men have impacted his coaching career like Parcells and Bill Belichick.

“I’m been fortunate enough to be associated with two guys who are going into the NFL Hall of Fame,” Groh said. “Great ties to those guys. Great appreciation for what they would do for me.”

Parcells might soon be asking Groh to do something for him and turn around a Dolphins’ defense that may have cost the team a spot in the playoffs.

In the last three weeks with a playoff spot on the line, Miami fell behind by double digits during the first half of losses to Tennessee, Houston and Pittsburgh.

The Dolphins defense allowed 390 points, third-most in the AFC, an NFL-high 140 points during the fourth quarter. Miami ranked 15th in the AFC in passing yards per play (13.3 yards) and forced just 21 turnovers.

The next time Groh’s cell phone rang, it could have been the Big Tuna himself.

“To say that we haven’t spoken would be untruthful because he and I speak over the course of the year,” Groh said. “Have I spoken with Bill? Sure I have.

“But about a number of things over a period of time.”

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Groh is close to becoming the new defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech. Groh recently was fired after nine seasons as head coach at his alma mater, the University of Virginia.

Groh’s interest in Georgia Tech could have played a part in the timing of Pasqualoni’s departure on Monday.

“Any speculation to that possibility would be very premature at this point,” Groh said. “I have a certain criteria in place for which I’m interested. It starts with the people that are involved. I’m open to anything that would fit that criteria.

“That doesn’t mean anything or everything.”

It clearly would mean coaching for Parcells.

Groh, 65, said he will be coaching somewhere in 2010.

“I’m very much looking forward to the next season and a number of seasons after that,” he said.​

Frustrating... really wanted Weis and Crennel back in NE.

Obviously, Groh would make a great choice for DC.

Really? Why? Did you like him as the DC here in 93-95? Although he appeared to do better in 96 that happened to coincide with the return of Parcell's SB binky... When they all departed for NY Al was relegated to position coach again. Except for that brief stint as the HC of the NYJ after BB resigned... He's been in college since for almost a decade and it hasn't all been pretty. But you would want him because he's a name from the old school tree. Odd that none of the branches has tapped him in a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back