Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
WOW

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Rex Ryan says five Jets assistants won't be back in 2010
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 25, 2010 6:23 PM ET

A day after losing the AFC Championship Game, the New York Jets are losing five assistant coaches.

Three coaches -- assistant quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, special-teams coach Kevin O'Dea and defensive quality control coach Brian Smith -- had their contracts expire and won't get them renewed. Assistant defensive backs coach Doug Plank was fired. And pass-rushing consultant Chuck Smith left to become defensive line coach at the University of Tennessee.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said it's just part of the business.

"We're going to have, unfortunately the way everything is, there's some guys on our staff that their contracts won't be extended," Ryan said. "They ran out, and some contracts will not be extended, and that's unfortunate because some guys did a great job. I'd really rather not get into the particulars of things right now."

Plank has a long history with Ryan. When Plank was a defensive back for the Chicago Bears, Rex's father Buddy Ryan named the 46 defense after Plank's jersey number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex was NOT happy with the play of the secondary. He said as much in his halftime interview, when he was ahead in the game.

Last edited:
I can't believe he's just going to eat five of his assistants, classless.

Last edited:
There are other approaches to weak performance by coaches. Some HC's promote them instead of firing them.

I can't believe he's just going to eat five of his assistants, classless.

I wish Weis and Mangino could of been his assistants, that would be a sexy sideline.

There D got them this far this year. If anything they Over achieved but
who cares. Let them break in new coaches.

Wow. I wonder what he'll do if the team misses the playoffs or has a losing season :eek:

It's not quite as dramatic as it seems, they're mostly assistant position coaches; not real high up the ladder.

Jabba Wrecks is kind of impulsive. Rumor has it that his staff depleted the dessert buffet while he was giving a press conference, and that pushed him over the edge.

I know we fired our DC but wat about the OC?

I just feel bad for the owner of whatever Golden Corral is closest to the Lucas Oil Stadium, they probably lost like 6 months worth of profit yesterday night.

Shouldn't really be a massive newsworthy point. They were on contract and Ryan obviously wants to fill those roles with people who he believes fits his version of the Ravens.. I means Jets the Jets.

None of them were fired other then Doug Plank.

I was somewhat surprised Plank got the ax considering he does have quite a bit of coaching experience and has strong ties to the Ryan clan. There is probably a story behind this move.

Odea is said to be a decent special teams coach who was hired to fill Westhoffs retirement, then Westhoff unretired. I have no idea who the other guys were.

There are other approaches to weak performance by coaches. Some HC's promote them instead of firing them.

Oh just stop it. Tannenbaum is probably doing the only thing he can since he has few draft picks and now can't be a player in FA. Pointing fingers at Rex's gophers for misplacing cinderella's slipper after the blowhard promised all those suckers he keeps on speed dial, the ones Woody is desperate to sell PSL's to, their .500 team was going to have a parade this year.

Sexy new fat HC. Shiny new wonderboy QB. 41 years and counting. Same old JETS.

It's not quite as dramatic as it seems, they're mostly assistant position coaches; not real high up the ladder.

I agree, it is more common than you think for those kinds of coaches to move from team to team

None of them were fired other then Doug Plank.

I was somewhat surprised Plank got the ax considering he does have quite a bit of coaching experience and has strong ties to the Ryan clan. There is probably a story behind this move.

Odea is said to be a decent special teams coach who was hired to fill Westhoffs retirement, then Westhoff unretired. I have no idea who the other guys were.

Face it, your team is in disarray, riddled by dissension in the face of a heartbreaking loss that only underscored 41 years of abject futility. :bricks::woohoo::rocker::eat1:

Not having your contract renewed = getting fired unless you didn't want it renewed.

==========================================

upon a moment of reflection, I have to concede you are correct. :)

Face it, your team is in disarray, riddled by dissension in the face of a heartbreaking loss that only underscored 41 years of abject futility. :bricks::woohoo::rocker::eat1:

=====================================================

Disarray, I think not. Jets will once again be the AFCE off season champions.

Bank on it:):bricks::woohoo::rocker::eat1:

Oh just stop it. Tannenbaum is probably doing the only thing he can since he has few draft picks and now can't be a player in FA. Pointing fingers at Rex's gophers for misplacing cinderella's slipper after the blowhard promised all those suckers he keeps on speed dial, the ones Woody is desperate to sell PSL's to, their .500 team was going to have a parade this year.

Sexy new fat HC. Shiny new wonderboy QB. 41 years and counting. Same old JETS.

what a vicious,derogatory blast at the Legion of Green Loonterns...I must say...I find this sort of post to be most refreshing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes