PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Revis wants 20M per year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Revis wants 20M per year....

Did you just say Asomugha is overrated in a serious tone or a joker's tone? If you're serious then you need to sit in an office and do tax returns for 84 years until you respect the gravity of your very silly opinion. If you're joking then roflcopter twiddlysticks on me.

Compared to Revis, yes he's overrated.

And congratulations on falling way short in the comedy department.

That's exactly what he has to do. Perform over a number of years.

Revis is 24 years old and he's already had 2 elite seasons. By saying that he has to have had a bunch more elite seasons, you're literally saying "because he's 24, he can't be great". Are you really comfortable with claiming that 24 year olds are incapable of being elite football players, or would you maybe like to rethink your position a little?

Well, Revis had a hell of year last year, but I'm not crowning him yet. People were lining up, fawning after Cromartie in 2007 and look how that turned out. If Revis keeps it up, he'll definitely establish himself as the top dog. Let's just see what happens.

Maybe some people were crowning Cromartie in 2007, I definitely wasn't.

And BTW, why is everyone forgetting that Revis had a great year in 2008, too? Last year wasn't his first top-tier season.

That's exactly what he has to do. Perform over a number of years.

So what did he do over his first three years that makes you want more?

I don't know else he can do for you. He's great in man coverage, plays the run well, as a rookie Mangini used him on some corner blitzes. His ability to play the ball when its in the air is as good as anyones I've ever seen.

He may not be the best cornerback yet, but I doubt any cornerbacks have had a better first three seasons. He's already made two pro bowls. He should have been defensive player of the year.

Revis is an insane talent, the only thing that will hinder him would be injuries.

Compared to Revis, yes he's overrated.

And congratulations on falling way short in the comedy department.

Revis and Asomugha were the two best corners in football last season. Claiming that Asomugha is overrated is just an idiotic statement.

Nnamdi Asomugha doesn't follow the #1 receiver around the field like Revis does.

Nnamdi Asomugha doesn't follow the #1 receiver around the field like Revis does.

Asomugha doesn't get help like Revis does, either. I'm not sure what your point is.

So when is it ok to put young players in that category. How many great seasons does it take?

He has allready had 2 great years, why would anyone think that would suddenly just decline barring injury?

I dont think anyone saying that Revis is the best all time CB, just that he is the best right now.

Would you or anyone else say that Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson aren't the best RB's in the game right now, because they have only done it for a limited amount of seasons?

Was Revis's season year before last really "great"? I've never heard it referred to as such. To even lump it in together with last season is a little silly in my opinion. Whether you want to admit it or not, last season was his "coming out party" and we'll see how long the party lasts.

Different sports, but I heard a lot of people saying that Jonathon Papelbon from the Red Sox was the next Marino Rivera after a ridiculous year that he had. He has since fallen off and his name will never be spoken in the same breath as Rivera's, even after all of the gum flapping similar to what you're doing. Revis is may end up being one of the best, but it isn't unheard of to have a decent year, then a great year, then NOT go on to become a HOF'er. You know, that has happened before. One great year doesn't get you into the hall.

Asomugha doesn't get help like Revis does, either. I'm not sure what your point is.

Watching all 19 Jets games this season, I wasn't aware that Revis got very much safety help -- if any at all.

Was Revis's season year before last really "great"? I've never heard it referred to as such. To even lump it in together with last season is a little silly in my opinion. Whether you want to admit it or not, last season was his "coming out party" and we'll see how long the party lasts.

Different sports, but I heard a lot of people saying that Jonathon Papelbon from the Red Sox was the next Marino Rivera after a ridiculous year that he had. He has since fallen off and his name will never be spoken in the same breath as Rivera's, even after all of the gum flapping similar to what you're doing. Revis is may end up being one of the best, but it isn't unheard of to have a decent year, then a great year, then NOT go on to become a HOF'er. You know, that has happened before. One great year doesn't get you into the hall.

You continue to forget that I am not saying Revis will be an all time great (although barring injury there is no reason to not think so), just that he is the best right now.

If you wanted to proclaim Papelbon the best a few years ago, I dont think many would have had a problem with that.

Revis made the pro bowl in season two with no pass rush and that crappy bend don't break defense. Even after his rookie season people took notice of his ability. It's not like he had two crappy seasons and then turned into an elite cornerback.

He finally got a defensive coach that knew how to really use his skills. I don't really know what more you could ask a cornerback to do in his first three seasons in the NFL.

First, the Raiders play man defense which means that he is assigned to most team's best WR a majority of the team. It isn't like teams put their best WR on the left side of the line more than a handful of plays.

Second, Asomugha is the classic definition of a shutdown CB. According to profootballfocus.com, opposing QBs threw in Asomugha's direction 28 times. They say teams threw at Revis 111 times. That means that Asomugha shuts down his side of the field more than Revis.

Watching all 19 Jets games this season, I wasn't aware that Revis got very much safety help -- if any at all.

Really? Aparently the two deep safety defense that Jets run is a mirage. The Jets have safety help over the top quite a bit. Revis is better at single coverage than any other CB other than maybe Asomugha, but he does get safety help.

First, the Raiders play man defense which means that he is assigned to most team's best WR a majority of the team. It isn't like teams put their best WR on the left side of the line more than a handful of plays.

Second, Asomugha is the classic definition of a shutdown CB. According to profootballfocus.com, opposing QBs threw in Asomugha's direction 28 times. They say teams threw at Revis 111 times. That means that Asomugha shuts down his side of the field more than Revis.

Look at the stats of the #1 receivers against the Raiders last year. Nnamdi wasn't covering them.

Obviously Revis got thrown at a ****load more because he was always covering the #1 receiver. The QB has to throw to his best target -- and still, something like only 44% of passes were completed. The receivers were still shut down. Please explain how Revis is any less of a shutdown CB than Asomugha.

Last edited:
Take a look at this chart from this past season.

chart.jpg

Revis owns Nnamdi.

Last edited:
Look at the stats of the #1 receivers against the Raiders last year. Nnamdi wasn't covering them.

Obviously Revis got thrown at a ****load more because he was always covering the #1 receiver. The QB has to throw to his best target -- and still, something like only 44% of passes were completed. The receivers were still shut down. Please explain how Revis is any less of a shutdown CB than Asomugha.

First, Revis wasn't covering the #1 receiver 100% for every game no matter what his and the Jets' PR agents want to peddle. If you think that, you don't know much about football. No team plays 100% man coverage. Even in man coverage, the CB could pass off their receiver depending on routes and assignments and picks on the field etc.

Second, see my first point with Asomugha.

Cant really compare Revis and Asamugha because overall on defense the jets have much better personnel than the raiders. The jets D creates much more pressure on the opposing offense and thus the QB has less time to get the ball out of his hands. This makes Revis job much easier than Asamughas. This is exactly the reason i think Cromartie will do better in NY than in SD, he doesnt have to cover the WRs for an extended period of time.

Both Revis and Asamugha are great CBs, Put Nnandi on the jets and he would look better as Revis wouldnt look as great in Oakland as he does in NY

Asomugha might not line up on the #1 receiver all the time, but that's not exactly up to him. I'm sure he'd do it if he was asked to, the fact that he can do anything with Crazy Al's picks of coaches is incredible.

Cant really compare Revis and Asamugha because overall on defense the jets have much better personnel than the raiders. The jets D creates much more pressure on the opposing offense and thus the QB has less time to get the ball out of his hands. This makes Revis job much easier than Asamughas. This is exactly the reason i think Cromartie will do better in NY than in SD, he doesnt have to cover the WRs for an extended period of time.

Both Revis and Asamugha are great CBs, Put Nnandi on the jets and he would look better as Revis wouldnt look as great in Oakland as he does in NY

Actually, the Jets struggle to generate pressure on the QB unless they blitz a lot of guys. This is why Revis is so valuable. He eliminates the receiver, giving the pass rush more time to get to the QB.

So you are completely wrong.

Cromartie will do better in NY because the Jets run a man defense whereas SD runs more of a zone.

Take a look at this chart from this past season.

chart.jpg

Revis owns Nnamdi.

If Asomugha was thrown at 28 times and Revis was thrown at 111 times, QB ratings can be very deceiving. For example in that scenario, if both only gave up one TD and broke up all other passes thrown their direction, Revis' opposing QBs would have a far lower passer rating than Asomugha's eventhough they had the same amount of TDs given uo and both broke up every other pass because Revis gave up one TD once every 111 passes while Asomugha was gave up a TD every 28 passes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick