PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT : Question - Has Tom Brady ever punted with the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckeverlasting

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend and he was telling me about when Brady punted during a regular season game. He said the Pats were winning big so Brady punted on 1st-3rd down; not on 4th down. I couldn't recall that happening; could someone refresh my memory? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OT : Question

Don't remember that. I do remember Cassel punting on 3rd down during that crazy windy game in Buffalo.

II was talking with a friend and he was telling me about when Brady punted during a regular season game. He said the Pats were winning big so Brady punted on 1st-3rd down; not on 4th down. I couldn't recall that happening; could someone refresh my memory? Thanks in advance.

I kind of remember Brady punting once late in the '03 or '04 season. I thought it was one of those no-man's land areas: too far back to go for a field goal but not close enough to go for it, so it was a pooch punt - line up like you're going for it on 4th down out of the shotgun and just lay a soft punt towards the end zone with nobody back there to run it back.

Last edited:

I kind of remember Brady punting once late in the '03 or '04 season.

He punted against Miami in 2003 in the snow game (pinned them inside the 5), but I think that was on 4th down and that game was not a blow out.

Didn't he punt vs the Steelers...I remember him doing it...i think.

And then there was Doug Flutie's kicking contribution, right DropKickFlutie?

Edit: although that was for an extra point, not a punt. But still, it was a Pats QB kicking in a game against the Fins.

Last edited:

Internet search engines are a wonderful thing ... though not as good as Patjew's memory.

It was that 12-0 win over Miami near the end of the 2003 season - the game more famously remembered on hundreds of highlight reels for when Tedy Bruschi intercepted a Jay Fiedler pass for a touchdown.

Boston.com / Sports / Football / Patriots / Punter Barnard weathers the storm

He was denied a chance for an 11th punt when Brady successfully executed a 36-yard pooch punt (on a fourth and 9) that rolled to a stop on the Miami 1 with 1:51 remaining and the Dolphins out of timeouts.

So back to the original question: no, it was not part of a blowout, the Pats weren't running up the score, and they weren't humiliating their opponent by having Brady punt the ball. On the contrary, it was a very important part of a victory which clinched the AFC East division title for the Patriots, as it gave the Pats a three-game lead over Miami with only three weeks left in the season.

Last edited:

He punted against Miami in 2003 in the snow game (pinned them inside the 5), but I think that was on 4th down and that game was not a blow out.

Was it really windy that day? I know that's what made Cassel's one punt so great. They just watched it roll to the 1.

I remember Brady doing a quick kick on a third down during the 01 or 02 season. Can't remember the opponent though.

Was it really windy that day? I know that's what made Cassel's one punt so great. They just watched it roll to the 1.

It was windy but not like the hurricane-like conditions in Buffalo in 2008.

It was suppose to be a drop kick but the ball never touched the ground so it was ruled a punt.

i just made that up.

Yes, he pooch-punted once. Don't remember any details beyond that.

O/T, but.......

One of my favorite memories was when the Patriots took a safety in Denver, Coach having faith that his defense would hold them to a 3 & out, and it worked. New England had always seen Mile High Stadium as a difficult place, but they won that game with a VERY gutsy, but well-played call.

It was either 03 or 04 and he kicked it from either the 35 or 40 and it dropped like a hackey sack at the 1. Probably the best punt of the year by a Patriot. The 07 Pats would of just gone for the first down.:)

It was either 03 or 04 and he kicked it from either the 35 or 40 and it dropped like a hackey sack at the 1. Probably the best punt of the year by a Patriot. The 07 Pats would of just gone for the first down.:)

See post # 5 above.

Edit: confirmed at http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/careerstats that that was the only punt of his career. So in addition to being their best QB he's also one of the Pats' best punters of all time.

Last edited:
Although I know none of us want to see the franchise out running routes, but it's been a long while since we've seen Brady catch a pass (2001 - Faulk to Brady, 23 yards).

I expect the Patriots will blowout some teams this season which might present some opportunities for Brady to have his first touchdown reception of his career.

We know that in the right situation, Belichick is all for those types of things.

Although I know none of us want to see the franchise out running routes, but it's been a long while since we've seen Brady catch a pass (2001 - Faulk to Brady, 23 yards).

I expect the Patriots will blowout some teams this season which might present some opportunities for Brady to have his first touchdown reception of his career.

We know that in the right situation, Belichick is all for those types of things.

I remember that play; in real time it felt like I was watching a slow motion replay.

He also caught a first down that was called back for a penalty in 03 or 4. Think it was against Miami too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back