PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: ProFW's interesting take on Asante...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving the money out of the equation......

For 2008...would you prefer Asante as your #1 or Hobbs/ Bryant/ Willhite/Webster??

Asante was not a malcontent while here and played some pretty decent ball during his time.

I just really needed to say this.

"(the "Get Paid" tattoo)"

The Article by Jackie MacMullan was a farce. The interview was meant to rile people up the day before a big playoff game. The interview actually took place months before it was printed.

The tatoo is actually "Get Rich to This", a lyric from a Gnarls Barkley song. He got the tatoo in college. It had absolutely nothing to do with Free agency.

Thank you for reading the reality. Remember that the media gets paid to sell newspapers, not report the truth.

...He was a little too public for my tastes with his desire for a big payday (the "Get Paid" tattoo), ....

Great post but sorry to note that you got suckered into that 'Get paid' tatoo story friend.

Search the past threads on the subject and you will realize that his tatoo had nothing to do with the pending contract at that time. That Globe reporter (Ms. Jackie something) never bothered to correct her pitiful mistakes even though it was pointed out by many.

Everyone was suckered by that...she was completely wrong...and it wasn't until how long ago that that came out?? I know it was last year...way after the initial article...BUT still some use that LIE...that untruth..and certainly he didn't really care to correct it...and she didn't admit it was a BIG mistake.. BUT..it really had a lot to do with the perception of him...SHAME on the Globe on this one!! And Jackie what's her name...especially!!
GOOD to absolutely point out the whole tattoo myth....!!
As for having him instead of the others?? I think that is obvious...a vet who knows the system...of course...but that isn't the reality of it all...there is a salary cap, free agency and some players who want big money...

He better have 10 + INT's , thats why they really paid that much to him.

I think its pretty amazing that people are on here claiming that Asante was or wasn't a troublemaker in the locker-room. Or a Malcontent of some sort. None of us can really KNOW what Samuel was because none of us were there.

Also, not everyone feels that Asante was truly a #1 corner. I think that Asante was the best uninjured corner we've had in the past 3 years. But his tackling ability was and is atrocious. He very rarely was in Man Coverage and very rarely did he come up and press the WR at the line. Also, once COULD say that Samuel was lazy. He was directly responsible for giving Tyree too much cushion on Tyree's TD. And that WAS Man coverage. Yes, Samuel has some ints, but he had just as many whiffed tackles and blown assignments over the past 2 years.

I have not been a great supporter of Samuel and thought his demands last year were outrageous and felt that he really wasn't worth the 7.76 million (or whatever) that he got. He certainly isn't worth the $10 million he got this year. He's not a game changer. And opposing defenses threw at him as much or possibly MORE than they threw at Hobbs because they weren't afraid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST