PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Parcells already looking for new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much drama as the media has played out between these two I would welcome Parcells as long as it was ok with Belichick. I highly doubt it would be though, I think BB likes the drafting part quite a bit.

Not to be disloyal, but Parcels is by far a better GM when it comes to drafting defensive players. He turned the Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys + Miami around, and to be honest I don't think there has been anyone better, ever. As selfish as the guy is there is no arguing with his success.

Parcells would be just what the doctor ordered as a GM for the Raiders or Lions but don't see that happening

I was going to come in here and say this as a joke. Not surprised someone came in here and beat me to the punch with a serious face.

Parcells doesn't like Kraft especially Jonathon and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Buffalo. Build up one more AFC east team to come after the Pats. Parcells drafts well but his biggest strength is being the architect of building teams. Dallas would and could have been a great team if JJ like Kraft had just let Parcells run the show.

Parcells doesn't like Kraft especially Jonathon and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Buffalo. Build up one more AFC east team to come after the Pats. Parcells drafts well but his biggest strength is being the architect of building teams. Dallas would and could have been a great team if JJ like Kraft had just let Parcells run the show.

Doesn't Parcells have to be like 80 years old to get hired in Buffalo? :cool:

Its been awhile since Buffalo hired any F.O. personnel that had thier own original teeth.

Last edited:
^edited in bold to make it correct:)
Yeah, he's very good at what he does. Of course, "what he does" is take 1 or 2 win teams and turn them into 10 win teams that lose early in the playoffs.

What he does not do, however, is turn teams into champions. IIRC, he has never won a single playoff game without Bill Belichick on his staff. He jumps ship instead of seeing the job through to completion, and then when the team inevitably gets worse, others get the blame.

I think BB should hire him as an assistant coach so he can cuss him out during games.

I'd pay to see it. :D

Not to get off track, but I will never forget that one film clip of Parcells chewing Bledsoe's arse on the sideline. That look in his eyes, all I could think of is, "Guy, you're going to have another heart attack you keep that up!"

Yeah, he's very good at what he does. Of course, "what he does" is take 1 or 2 win teams and turn them into 10 win teams that lose early in the playoffs.

What he does not do, however, is turn teams into champions. IIRC, he has never won a single playoff game without Bill Belichick on his staff. He jumps ship instead of seeing the job through to completion, and then when the team inevitably gets worse, others get the blame.

I wouldn't trade BB for BP as head coach for all the tea in China.
But I do think BP could help BB in player selection. That's all.

Parcells also drafted Chris Slade at #31 and Willie McGinest at #4, so... at #4 you have to hit. At #31, we got less from Slade than we hoped. He was the Ben Watson of his era. Started, but never really was good enough.

Parcells only had 3 drafts with NE and they were decent, not great, so I can't see how people think he's a great drafter.

I'd take Slade over any OLB Belichick has drafted since he's been here.

I'd also take Parcells pulling the trigger on draft day over Belichick any ol' time.

Parcells is a good football coach. I am missing the part of the story that says he builds great franchises.
He was the coach with the Giants, no more, and those were his only rings.
He came here, and coached up the team, but left specifically because he wasnt allowed to 'pick the groceries'.
He went to the Jets, coached them up, and left behind a team that wallowed in mediocrity.
He went to Dallas, coached them up, but not as well, and left them in a state where they didnt win a playoff game until last year. And we know that Jerry Jones is making the personell decisions there.
Then he goes to Miami. So far the results were one surprisingly good season, followed by a losing season last year, and who knows what this year will bring. I, for one, am not overly impressed with the roster he leaves behind. I don't think he addressed the QB problem but for a bandaid in the one successful year, and has not bulit anything resembling a championship defense. His aging RB position and the 2 high priced acquisitions this season are the high points of what looks to be a team that will be just what he left behind everywhere else, medicore.

I try not to be critical of Parcells ... he started what we now enjoy.:D

I try not to be critical of Parcells ... he started what we now enjoy.:D
He left 5 years before BB built the team into winners.
He was here.
A few of his guys were left around. The team that BB took over bore little resemblence to the one Parcells coached. The one BB won with bore even less resemblence.
What did Parcells do in his 3 years that led to success 5+ years later more than any former coach of any winning team did?

Parcells is a good football coach. I am missing the part of the story that says he builds great franchises.
He was the coach with the Giants, no more, and those were his only rings.
He came here, and coached up the team, but left specifically because he wasnt allowed to 'pick the groceries'.
He went to the Jets, coached them up, and left behind a team that wallowed in mediocrity.
He went to Dallas, coached them up, but not as well, and left them in a state where they didnt win a playoff game until last year. And we know that Jerry Jones is making the personell decisions there.
Then he goes to Miami. So far the results were one surprisingly good season, followed by a losing season last year, and who knows what this year will bring. I, for one, am not overly impressed with the roster he leaves behind. I don't think he addressed the QB problem but for a bandaid in the one successful year, and has not bulit anything resembling a championship defense. His aging RB position and the 2 high priced acquisitions this season are the high points of what looks to be a team that will be just what he left behind everywhere else, medicore.

I think people like yourself don't give Parcells enough credit to what he did for the Patriots in not only bringing them up from the depths of the NFLs laughing stock but for drafting players that would eventually become Super Bowl caliber players....

Without Parcells we don't have the nucleus of those players,Without Parcells those players are not on the team (Law,McGinest ect) and we probably don't win 3 championships...Belichick or no Belichick.

Belichick is an awesome coach and one of the best ever and don't take me wrong, but he did have some pretty talented players to coach when he got here,he just was the type of coach that made those players great with his skills but nevertheless a good deal of Parcells drafting was left in 2000 for Belichick to teach after the debacle of the Carroll era.

Last edited:
He was here.
A few of his guys were left around. The team that BB took over bore little resemblence to the one Parcells coached. The one BB won with bore even less resemblence.
What did Parcells do in his 3 years that led to success 5+ years later more than any former coach of any winning team did?

In 1995 Parcells led the team to it's first playoff game in 8 years.

In 1996 he brought us to the Super Bowl.

He also had a coach named Bill Belichick here with him.

Kraft got to watch Belichick in action while he was here.

Now if you don't think Kraft learned anything from Parcells then you're really too hooked up on numbers and stats.

He was here.

Do you really think we win anything without Ty Law,Lawyer Milloy,Tedy Bruschi or Willie McGinest on the roster?,Hell even Carroll brought us Kevin Faulk

You have GOT to be kidding me,right?

Belichick had a great group of talent around him courtesy of Parcells,the difference being that Belichick knew as a top coach of how to form all that talent into championship talent but the fact remains Parcell brought us 4 of the most important fixtures in at least the first championship where Belichick added more pieces to add to more SBs

Last edited:
I think people like yourself don't give Parcells enough credit to what he did for the Patriots in not only bringing them up from the depths of the NFLs laughing stock but for drafting players that would eventually become Super Bowl caliber players....

Without Parcells we don't have the nucleus of those players,Without Parcells those players are not on the team and we win no championships...Belichick or no Belichick.

Belichick is an awesome coach and don't take me wrong but he had some pretty talented players to coach when he got here,he just was the type of coach that made those players great with his skills but nevertheless a good deal of Parcells drafting was left in 2000 for Belichick to teach .
Giving him credit for the coaching job he did does not entail giving him credit for what the team did 5+ years after he left.
Its very debatable that he was responsible for the drafts.
Its equally debatable that we wouldnt have won without those drafts, because we would have drafted other players, and some would have worked out, others not, just like the picks in the Parcells era did.
I find it very shaky to give credit for the success of a franchise to the players left behind by Parcells, when the results that followed were 10-6,9-7,8-8,5-11. Were those players laying dormant for 4 years?
I find it even more dubious when the starting lineup in the first SB had a grand total of 1 player on offense who was even here under Parcells and that was Troy Brown who Parcells never even played at WR, and the defense had 4: 2 of which were drafted in Parcells last draft, the one he quit because he wasnt allowed to make the picks, plus 2 #1s.
I find it hard to believe that any Championship team had less the 5 starters left from 5 years earlier.

In 1995 Parcells led the team to it's first playoff game in 8 years.

In 1996 he brought us to the Super Bowl.

He also had a coach named Bill Belichick here with him.

Kraft got to watch Belichick in action while he was here.

Now if you don't think Kraft learned anything from Parcells then you're really too hooked up on numbers and stats.
I give Parcells full credit for the coaching job he did here.
I see nothing extraordinary that he contributed to the Championships more than any other former coach of a winning team who has similar success.
I guess if you want to give him credit for introducing BB to Kraft, thats something, but the discussion is that Parcells had a major hand in building the franchise. That is just a nice nostalgic feel good opnion, not based in fact.
Had Kraft learned everything he knows from Parcells, we wouldnt have had to endure the malaise years of Pete Carrol.

Do you really think we win anything without Ty Law,Lawyer Milloy,Tedy Bruschi or Willie McGinest on the roster?,Hell even Carroll brought us Kevin Faulk

You have GOT to be kidding me,right?

Belichick had a great group of talent around him courtesy of Parcells,the difference being that Belichick knew as a top coach of how to form all that talent into championship talent but the fact remains Parcell brought us 4 of the most important fixtures in at least the first championship where Belichick added more pieces to add to more SBs
4 years resulted in 4 starters. That is nothing remarkable.
And he QUIT because of the draft that we got 2 of them against his will.
Why does Parcells get credit for a draft that he quit over not being able to pick the players he wanted in????

Him working with al davis would be hilarious to watch.

I give Parcells full credit for the coaching job he did here.
I see nothing extraordinary that he contributed to the Championships more than any other former coach of a winning team who has similar success.
I guess if you want to give him credit for introducing BB to Kraft, thats something, but the discussion is that Parcells had a major hand in building the franchise. That is just a nice nostalgic feel good opnion, not based in fact.
Had Kraft learned everything he knows from Parcells, we wouldnt have had to endure the malaise years of Pete Carrol.

I disagree ...

I think Kraft compared what the differences were and moved forward from there.

Many knowledgeable people have said Kraft built a great organization.

He gained that knowledge somehow and took what he learned about football and applied it to what he already knew about business.

Most good business owners learn as much from their mistakes as they do from their accomplishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes