PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Mort has stage 4 throat Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throat cancer can also be due to reflux and that is very prevalent in the U.S. Our neighbor was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer three years ago and didn't smoke either. He is miraculously cancer free and doing well so we can hope Mort has a similar recovery.
Stomach acid is very acidic ( low pH) so when it comes back up reflux( think heartburn) it burns and kills tissues causing turnover more rapidly than normal. The more the tissues turn over, the greater the chance for a cancerous mutation, explaining the high rate of esophageal cancer in n GERD sufferers. I lost a mentor to it several years ago.

Very well said and for those of us that have experienced this through the sad tears of friends or family, the saying really annoys me. It is often said by people who have no compassion, which is terrible as it is one of the strongest human traits...it is often passed off as a joke but in the end it says the most about the content of the posters character...
When at our best, we all seem like good people. It is how we react at the most difficult and painful of times that is the true measure of character. There are lessons hidden in grief, but they're only present when the emotion is experienced without bitterness and anger.

Well, I agree that we shouldn't wish something like this on even your worst enemy but do we really owe sympathy to a despicable human being when something bad happens to them?
No. It is empathy that we owe.

I've been hammering Chris Mortensen relentlessly since his 11 of 12 fabrication, but never wanted to learn that he is facing anything as threatening as this. He has my best wishes for a successful course of therapy and healthy return.

For the knuckledraggers who lack any goddamn perspective whatsoever, maybe we should recap Mort's sin:

He tweeted incorrect info (that was leaked to him) about the pressure loss in a dozen footballs.

Yeah, that makes a guy despicable and deserving of an early, excruciating death. :rolleyes:

This thread makes me happy to be part of this forum. I don't think a single fan on this board is a fan of Mort's work. However almost all of us have wished him well. I can't say I'll notice his lack of media presence nor will I care that he isn't writing reports. Like the rest of the decent humans on this board I hope he recovers, no one deserves to get cancer.

Don't give a ****. If he dies or lives. I won't bat an eyelash. Too many horrible human beings in this world. Don't expect me to give them my sympathies.

Yea, that Mort....He's up there with rapists, murders and child molesters.

Perspective and compassion is a good thing to have in life.

For the knuckledraggers who lack any goddamn perspective whatsoever, maybe we should recap Mort's sin:

He tweeted incorrect info (that was leaked to him) about the pressure loss in a dozen footballs.

Yeah, that makes a guy despicable and deserving of an early, excruciating death. :rolleyes:
Seriously, may failing to retract an unfair report about a sports team we cheer for be the worst thing that anyone ever does to us.

Be well Mort, and cherish whatever time you have left with your family.

Exactly. There have been plenty of despicable people in history for whom cancer is too good of a fate. Mort is hardly in that category.

Mort is dishonest. He's sure not alone with that sin.

Attention Ian:
All these messages of concern are a wonderful display yet offer no direct support for Mort. Might I suggest PatsFans.Com send Mort (via ESPN if necessary) some type of "Message to Mort from PatsFans.Com members"

Possible content: 11 out of 12 Pats Fans want you to get better so you can investigate Peyton Manning.

No. It is empathy that we owe.

That I agree with and I'll give him that.

If he acknowledges the wrongfulness of what he did and exposes all the other people involved in orchestrating the defamation, he'll earn my respect and sympathy.

If he uses this unfortunate situation as leverage to rationalize his wrongdoing, then to hell with him.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh.

This thread makes me happy to be part of this forum. I don't think a single fan on this board is a fan of Mort's work. However almost all of us have wished him well. I can't say I'll notice his lack of media presence nor will I care that he isn't writing reports. Like the rest of the decent humans on this board I hope he recovers, no one deserves to get cancer.

Lets be honest- no one on this board likes Mort. He really screwed this team and either because of his own ego or pressure from his bosses he never retracted his story. Because of his action/inaction, his reporting caused a seismic event in Patriots Nation and indirectly effected our lives by having to field dumb comments and trolling.

After being on this board for close to 10 years I have learned that our fellow posters are fathers, husbands, wives and basically good people who have had the horrible experience of watching a friend or loved one die from cancer and even worse have it themselves.

I firmly believe Mort is a good human being who made a mistake, was caught in a situation that spun beyond his control and was then controlled by self-serving manipulative a-holes. My belief doesn't justify my compassion for the man in his time of struggle but it hopefully help people have the perspective that 1) Mort is human - like us and 2) Being diagnosed with cancer can happen to any of us. I hope he beats it and has a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Sucks. Stage 4 is bad and I don't think recovery is in the cards. My hope is that his quality of life is as good for as long as possible.

Yea, that Mort....He's up there with rapists, murders and child molesters.

Perspective and compassion is a good thing to have in life.

OK but defaming a fellow human being simply to selfishly advance your career is pretty bad, too.

That I agree with and I'll give him that.

If he acknowledges the wrongfulness of what he did and exposes all the other people involved in orchestrating the defamation, he'll earn my respect and sympathy.

If he uses this unfortunate situation as leverage to rationalize his wrongdoing, then to hell with him.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh.
I find nothing harsh about your post. You offered empathy, something all sentient beings deserve.

Sucks. Stage 4 is bad and I don't think recovery is in the cards. My hope is that his quality of life is as good for as long as possible.
Better than 1 in 3 by the numbers Deus provided. Mort's are probably a little better because he's got money.

I hope he makes a FULL recovery and can be a great husband to his wife, and a great father to his kids by staying alive.

and THEN after this full recovery, in the bloom of health, he THEN contemplates the frailty of life, and feels grateful and humbled, and take a full self accounting, apologizes for his errors, and confesses in detail and in totality about the set up, and who was involved, and how it came about.

It's easy to lack compassion when cancer hasn't touched you or someone you love. Once it has, it's tough to blithely pass it off. Mort has a big fight ahead of him. I wish him the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes