PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets' Vilma to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:Jets Vilma on IR

Almost sounds as if they tried to IR him, or that Vilma isn't buying into Mangini's "hush hush" operations. Really sucks to see a great player like that wasted the last two seasons. I hope he gets traded outta the east soon.

This isn't meant facetiously--if Vilma supposedly "isn't suited" for the 3-4, why on earth was Belichick so high on him?

Is it that he could be suited for a 3-4, but not the one the JEST are using, or do you think that Belichick had "something else" in mind for him?

This isn't meant facetiously--if Vilma supposedly "isn't suited" for the 3-4, why on earth was Belichick so high on him?

Is it that he could be suited for a 3-4, but not the one the JEST are using, or do you think that Belichick had "something else" in mind for him?

He must have had a SS type of role planned for him, maybe. I'm not sure. Does seem to be kind of a necessity being big enough to handle OGs to be a 3-4 ILB.

The difference is that Belichick use his players to what they do best not just for one scheme. In 2001 the Pats used the 4-3 most of the time because that is what was best with the personnel that he had. Great coaches utilize the strengths of his team.

PFT is on it

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

The New York Jets have announced that linebacker Jonathan Vilma has been placed on injured reserve.

It was reported earlier in the week by Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News that Vilma could miss the rest of the year with a knee problem. After the team's Week Seven loss to the Bengals, coach Eric Mangini said that Vilma came out for a portion of the game due to an injury that previously had not been disclosed. Vilma later disputed the notion that he was hurt.

Either way, the league needs to be taking a look at this one. Either Vilma is healthy and the Jets have opted to squirrel him away in order to preserve the ability to trade him in 2008, or he'd been hurt for a while and the Jets had failed to disclose it in the injury reports. The only other explanation is that the injury first occurred in Bengals game. But that wasn't the gist of Cimini's recent report.

Kendall mouthed off in the preseason and was first "mistakenly" lodged in the rookie dorm at training camp, then traded for nothing.

The Kendall thing was totally mishandled. From what I understand, the Jets asked him to take a pay cut before last season because he was no longer performing up to his contract. Before he agreed to the pay cut, they promised him that if he returned to form they would boost his salary.

Kendall's play improved last season and when he asked for $1 million more in salary, as had been discussed when he took the cut, the Jets told him to take a hike (literally). Kendall was a well-liked and very respected member of the Jets organization. That kind of thing is very damaging to player morale and it probably indirectly led to some of the problems they've experienced this season in Mangina's locker room.

This does seem fishy. The league should (and never will) investigate this. It is cheating to put a healthy player on IR to make room for another player. Granted teams put players who aren't injured for the season on IR all the time to get the roster spot, but many teams filmed signals from the sidelines before the Pats got caught by the league.

If the Jets are going to play the rules police for the NFL, they need to be put under the same scrutiny the Pats are.

Either way, my guess is the Vilma era for the Jets is over.

Last edited:
This does seem fishy. The league should (and never will) investigate this. It is cheating to put a healthy player on IR to make room for another player. Granted teams put players who aren't injured for the season on IR all the time to get the roster spot, but many teams filmed signals from the sidelines before the Pats got caught by the league.

If the Jets are going to play the rules police for the NFL, they need to be put under the same scrutiny the Pats are.

Either way, my guess is the Vilma era for the Jets is over.

Somehow, that doesn't quite seem like what happened here. [I'm not saying he was or wasn't injured, merely that it's unlikely there was a better player waiting in the wings.]

In any case, if BB thinks Vilma still fits on the Pats, I say bring him aboard. :)

Somehow, that doesn't quite seem like what happened here. [I'm not saying he was or wasn't injured, merely that it's unlikely there was a better player waiting in the wings.]

In any case, if BB thinks Vilma still fits on the Pats, I say bring him aboard. :)

Yeah I'm sure the Jets will be swinging deals with the Patriots. They would have to talk to each other in order for that to happen.

I hope Mangenius isn't using IR to get a potentially vocal critic out of his locker room as his season continues to crumble.

Yes, because that might be cheating.

IMO Vilma has no injury worthy of IR, and this is a sham. Last week Chris Baker criticized Mangini in the press, and despite the fact he is the team's best TE, he was made inactive for the Bengal game (a close game which the Jets lost). Kendall mouthed off in the preseason and was first "mistakenly" lodged in the rookie dorm at training camp, then traded for nothing. Revis held out, and the Jets ludicrously played hardball, looking for a very unfair contract. Mangini clearly has a Tony Soprano complex. Now Vilma breaks from the party line on his radio station and is placed on IR. If Vilma had truly been injured he wouldn't have been available to reporters in the lockerroom after the Jet game, given the Jets' penchant for secrecy regarding injuries.

IMO what happened was:

Mangini benched Vilma for poor play during the Bengal game. Mangini, backing up his claim to "evaluate the organization from top to bottom", determined that Vilma's play at ILB was substandard and part of the reason the Jets cannot stop the run. He informed Vilma early this week that going forward, rookie David Harris would replace him as starting ILB. Vilma has sacrificed alot for Mangini, changing his style of play, studying day and night, acting as team leader and captain. This was a brutal blow to his pride and self-esteem. Vilma threw a fit, basically quit the team and probably walked out of the facility. To cover up the real nature of events, Mangini invented an injury and put Vilma on IR. Vilma probably could use an arthroscopy, like almost all nfl players, but it could have waited to season's end. This was a total sham, and more evidence the ship is sinking. I still expect the Jets to win this weekend, and D. Harris may actually be better for the Jets at present than Vilma, who is ill-suited to Mangini's defense.

Hmmmm.
I buy the Vilma charade. What I don't buy is the Jets beating my Bills Sunday.
I must say I'm incredulous at how badly this has turned out for Eric 'The Rat' Mangini.

there is something weird with this...and it just DOES NOT make sense...teh NFL will not investigate at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST