PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets tampering might have fueled Crabtree deal. Goodell protecting the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this response by a dude on PFT forum,found this very interesting....

LanMan says: October 10, 2009 3:51 PM

This was as predictable as the morning sunrise. The Jets continue to scrap the bottom of the barrel for their daily bread. The reason the league looks the other way is because they are a New York team in the shadow of the Giants, with enormous numbers of expensive seat licenses to sell in the new stadium they rent from the Giants. Everything they do is to sell those seat licenses. In this economy, the NFL does not want a team like that going under. So, they continue to look the other way. The Jets are wreckless though. It's like they have gotten way too ****y on what they can get away with. They also tampered with Brandon Marshall of the Broncos. They finally filled their need taking advantage of Braylon Edwards recent skirmish with the law.

Recall that they were the team that was filming the Patriots illegally. They had more cameras out than the league allows. The Pats asked them to stop. Then, when they played in NY, they blocked the Patriots from having a legitimate camera in the end zone for practice film purposes (like all teams do). The Patriots brought the camera to the sideline instead (a rule violation) and then got in trouble, but it was the Jets being the J-E-T-S, doing the actual CHEATING in the first place that caused it all.

How about that hit by Sanchez against the Saints? He throws a pick six, can't catch the guy, see's the Saint players coming down the field, who graciously chose to NOT crush him, and what does he do? He throws himself at their knees, for no known reason other than to injure.

I call this move "THE DIRTY SANCHEZ."

The play was over. They gave him grace by not crushing his a@@. He takes advantage and tried to injure them "just because." What does he get? A paltry $5000 fine from the league. A pittance compared to his monster salary. Rex Ryan probably will pay it for him. Ryan is the same guy that issued bounties for injuring players.

Remember, the JETS are the same organization that tampered with Curtis Martin, and also with Bill Parcells DURING the Super Bowl preparations in 96.

The JETS are, and always have been the dung heap of the NFL and Home of The L-O-S-E-R-S!!!

I love LanMan!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Or when Favre fessed up that the Jets lied about his injury status.

So...unless a Jet stupidly fesses up about this Crabtree tampering charge it will go unenforced like when they tampered with Curtis Martin and with Deion Branch.

================================================

I should of been more clear I was specificaly talking about tampering, my bad.

To answer your question, yes it will go unenforced

Or when Favre fessed up that the Jets lied about his injury status.

So...unless a Jet stupidly fesses up about this Crabtree tampering charge it will go unenforced like when they tampered with Curtis Martin and with Deion Branch.

There's probably a better chance of Crabtree firing Parker for not getting him the money he "deserved" and then ratting him out for any tampering activities.

FWIW and future infomation, this isn't completely accurate. After Week 10 the 49ers could still have signed him to a 2010 contract, using part of their 2010 rookie pool (even though they would not receive any extra in that pool for him).

Now I understand what Florio was yammering about in that regard.

In any case, though, that's sort of a "pie in the sky" scenario: if the Niners couldn't sign him for this season, how on earth would they be able to sign him for 2010, and why would they, when it would mean, basically, drafting picks they wouldn't be able to sign?

I think a suitable penalty is oh, let's say 750k and a 1st rounder?

I see it more like the 9ers now have Crabtree signed and do not need to pursue there false tampering charges.
Yeah. Sure. "False" charges. You probably also believe the Redskins never communicated with Albert Haynesworth until midnight, March 1.
What possible gain would the Jets receive by tampering with Crab?
Um, the player himself is the "possible gain". Just because it didn't work out for them, doesn't mean they had nothing to gain by tampering.

I think saying that there's some kind of vendetta against the Pats within the league is misguided. IMO, it's in the media, and not for any particularly sinister reason. ESPN knows that most of the country hates the Pats on account of their success, and therefore they can get people talking and get tons of viewership by feeding them what they want: anti-Patriots horse****. As always, it's all about money.
I agree with this.

Yeah. Sure. "False" charges. You probably also believe the Redskins never communicated with Albert Haynesworth until midnight, March 1.
Um, the player himself is the "possible gain". Just because it didn't work out for them, doesn't mean they had nothing to gain by tampering.

==========================================

I understand the player himself is the possible gain, I just do not understand how the Jets were ever in a position to acquire Crab.

Lets say the Jets call Crabs agent ans say we want to pay the man double what the 9ers will, and then Crabs agent says OK lets do it.

Under what scenario would the Jets be able to get Crab on the Jets.

Jets can't sign Crab because the 9ers own his rites, the 9ers can't trade crab because he is not under contract. I suppose it might be possible to trade the rite to sign Crab.

If the Jets did tamper and it can be proven that they likely did, then the Jets should be fined.

Seems to me if the Jets wanted Crab then they would have to deal directly with the 9ers, maybe ask Crab to sign for X dollars with the 9ers and then the 9ers would immediately trade Crab to the Jets.

bottom line is if Crab wants an NFL job he has to first sign with the 9ers or re enter the draft, how the Jets could position themselves to get crab would have to be by trading with the 9ers, not by having Crab holdout.

I can see tampering with FAs, just not with unsigned draft picks.

so an ex Jet employee, beholden to Hess for his big break early in his career, sits in judgement of the Jets chief rival and roadblock in the division INSTEAD of recusing himself and turning the decision making over to an independent arbitrator? is that how this works???
FYI, Goodell's "big early break" with the Jets was he worked for them for 1 year as an intern - and that wasn't even his first NFL job. You make it sound like the Jets made Goodell into the man he is, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I hardly think Goodell is giving the Jets any preferential treatment because he happened to work for them for 1 year as an intern 25 years ago.

I understand the player himself is the possible gain, I just do not understand how the Jets were ever in a position to acquire Crab.

Lets say the Jets call Crabs agent ans say we want to pay the man double what the 9ers will, and then Crabs agent says OK lets do it.

Under what scenario would the Jets be able to get Crab on the Jets.

Jets can't sign Crab because the 9ers own his rites, the 9ers can't trade crab because he is not under contract. I suppose it might be possible to trade the rite to sign Crab.
It isn't a matter of it "might" be possible to trade Crabtree's rights - it is possible to trade Crabtree's rights (during certain time frames). If the tampering goes as far back as late spring, early summer, then the 49ers certainly could have traded his rights away during that time period. Also, they would be able to trade his rights after this season ended but before the next draft.
If the Jets did tamper and it can be proven that they likely did, then the Jets should be fined.
And lose a first rounder.
Seems to me if the Jets wanted Crab then they would have to deal directly with the 9ers, maybe ask Crab to sign for X dollars with the 9ers and then the 9ers would immediately trade Crab to the Jets.
bottom line is if Crab wants an NFL job he has to first sign with the 9ers or re enter the draft, how the Jets could position themselves to get crab would have to be by trading with the 9ers, not by having Crab holdout.

I can see tampering with FAs, just not with unsigned draft picks.
Here's how tampering helps the Jets:

1) The 49ers draft Crabtree because they want him to play for their team.
2) The Jets want him very badly, so they interfere with the Crabtree negotiations. They inform Crabtree "we would be happy to pay you more than the 49ers"
3) Crabtree takes a hard line stance with the 49ers because he knows better offers are out there. This reminds me of what Lawyer Milloy did to the Patriots in 2003 (yes I know he was under contract and not a draft pick but I still see similarities).
4) The 49ers are then faced with the possibility of losing him for nothing, so they become much more likely to trade his rights away - which they are allowed to do before the season starts. Or the Jets are just as happy taking their chances in the 2010 draft.

The Jets wanted Crabtree very badly, but they couldn't get him if he happily signed on with the 49ers. That's why you try and stir things up, when it is a blatent violation of the rules to do so.

Last edited:
FYI, Goodell's "big early break" with the Jets was he worked for them for 1 year as an intern - and that wasn't even his first NFL job. You make it sound like the Jets made Goodell into the man he is, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I hardly think Goodell is giving the Jets any preferential treatment because he happened to work for them for 1 year as an intern 25 years ago.

Really? I didn't know that and assumed he was with the Jets for quite some time in a good role. Classic case of influencing the opinion of people like me who unconsciously are influenced by the media's framing of the situation.

Yet another reason people should actively and vehemently point out the reality when truth is stretched like this. Quite similar to 'spy'gate when it should have been 'camera'gate.

Thanks for the post.

if this is proven they should lose a 1st round draft pick and get a big fine

if this is proven they should lose a 1st round draft pick and get a big fine

That would be "fair" in the right way to do things in the NFL. Fooldell will not do that as it would go against "his team".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back