PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets going after Jason Taylor HARD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are many opposing views on Taylor, but his signing with the Jets would be extremely frustrating. Taylor makes the Jets better - on the field and in the locker room. And while he may not still be a game changer, the type of things that he still can do are exactly the types of things the Patriots need. Things like leadership, integrity and accountability.

I understand he may not have an appreciable impact on making the Patriots defense a dominant unit again, but it would have an effect on that locker room. And that would be for whoever he signed with.

We are in an uncapped year. He surely wouln't be demanding that much in a base salary. Why are we not in the discussion to sign him?

NE is not going to sign Taylor. We already have TBC more or less as a situational edge rusher. Why would we want a much older version, who doesn't have a lot left in the tank, and shown that at this point in his life football is about the least of his priorties? Good lockerroom guy? Maybe, but everything I've seen indicates that he doesn't care about winning all that much.

TBC on the other hand seems to completely buy into BB's system and I would bet is/was being counted on to be one of the leaders on D.

I agree that Taylor could make the Jets better as a 3rd down rusher, but I really don't see them signing him either, unless it's on the cheap, or unless Woody Johnson is just completely spending money like a drunken sailor this off season.

What makes you think he is a good teammate or leader? All of the evidence suggests the opposite.

Perhaps I put too much stock in what the general media driven consensus is...and this:

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick echoed Moon's sentiment when he put an arm around Taylor's shoulder following a Nov. 8 win against Taylor's Dolphins.

"You'll be in the Hall of Fame someday," Belichick told Taylor.

Jason Taylor the sackmaster supreme in the NFL in 2000s - USATODAY.com

I just don't see BB being so enamored with a player that was anything other than a quality person/player. On the other hand I have never met the man so perhaps you know more about him than I.

Perhaps I put too much stock in what the general media driven consensus is...and this:

I just don't see BB being so enamored with a player that was anything other than a quality person/player. On the other hand I have never met the man so perhaps you know more about him than I.

I think you are mixing up good football player with leader and lockerroom presence.
I specifically asked why you thought he was a leader or good teammate, and you responded with him being a good player. They aren't the same thing.
BB wouldn't know anything about what kind of teammate Taylor is, he was 'enamored' with his play on the field, which you yourself said has little left to it.

He was a good teammate and leader in Miami, according to Dolphins players I spoke to during his first tenure with the team.

Last edited:
Jason Taylor is no doubt headed to the Hall Of Fame but just like Junior Seau,his time has come to leave the game,enjoy life and wait for the accolades that being a great player for so long brings to him with enshrinement years down the road.

Sad thing is he never won a Super Bowl and while joining up with the Jets over the Dolphins appears to give him a better chance to get a ring,the Jets are far from a lock to win anything at this time despite on how devastating they look on paper,there are many teams who will have something to say about the Jets getting the job done.

Last edited:
This link is a classic example of the code and how Mangini broke it.

After the 2005 season, Bill Parcells and the Cowboys needed a place kicker badly. Parcelles called Belichick to see if the Patriots had plans to keep Adam Vinatieri. BB in turn told Parcells that they were attempting to sign Adam. That is all Parcells needed to hear to stop his pursuit. You have to think that the Cowboys would have been Adam Vinatieri's first choice had Parcells taken that option. After all, an indoor team, former coach who drafted him, large fanbase, nice weather.

The code is strongest between coaches that are from the same 'coaching tree', but also exists to a lesser degree across the board (Example: Herm Edwards waiving to the Patriots camera in previous years). Parcells was a man and he abided by the coaches code at the risk of not attempting to sign one of the best and most clutch place kickers in the league.

I think Mangini was just the easiest to blame

Chiefs Links: Following ‘The Code’ | Arrowhead Addict | A Kansas City Chiefs blog

Most of the media is clueless to the depth and magnitude of coaches keeping 'things' to themselves. But the 'code' meant more to Parcells and I respect him immensely for that.

On the other hand, I wouldn't trust Mangini with my worst enemy. He broke all connections with the Belichick by tampering with players and coaches from the begining. Ratting out the Patriots on opening day in the Meadowlands in 2007 is just another example of that. And although there is no direct evidence of this, Mangini knows it, The Patriots know it, the Jets know it, the commissioner knows it and deep down inside even you know it Gunnails.

lol... that is an awesome response!

===============================================

OK Zoo I don't see the question.

My response is that I don't think you can tamper with a coach if you are offering a promotion (may be wrong), I realize that Mangini targeted Pat players, but I do not remember any tampering other then the Branch thing that we all know was tampering but no one could prove it, I think Tannenbaum as the GM is responsible for the Branch pursuit/tampering.

I truly believe that Spy Gate was the Pats own fault. Other teams were also doing it, filming signals was a league wide practice, Goodell sent out the memo and said stop. The Pats continued to film in a way Goodell found violated his rule. Goodell decided to make an example of the Pats and punished them IMHO harshly. I would say the punishment did not meet the crime.

I t is my posistion that everyone was aware of what the Pats filming practices were, there was no need for Mangini to rat them out because everyone including the commissioner already new about it, it was not a secret.

I think a decision to stop the Pats camera guy was made well before the game started, I think Jet security was given a heads up to watch for this and if they caught some one to confiscate the film. this is not the type of decision a rookie head coach makes, I have always believed that Tannenbaum gave the order, it may have been discussed before hand between Mangini, Mr T and Woody.

I find that the responsible parties for SpyGate were Goodell and the Pats.

Deep down I think that Mangini at somepoint broke the coaches code, probably multiple times, but I am not sure. The Pats and Mangini are so tight lipped it is hard to tell what the hell happened.

My response is that I don't think you can tamper with a coach if you are offering a promotion (may be wrong), I realize that Mangini targeted Pat players, but I do not remember any tampering other then the Branch thing that we all know was tampering but no one could prove it, I think Tannenbaum as the GM is responsible for the Branch pursuit/tampering.

I truly believe that Spy Gate was the Pats own fault. Other teams were also doing it, filming signals was a league wide practice, Goodell sent out the memo and said stop. The Pats continued to film in a way Goodell found violated his rule. Goodell decided to make an example of the Pats and punished them IMHO harshly. I would say the punishment did not meet the crime.

I t is my posistion that everyone was aware of what the Pats filming practices were, there was no need for Mangini to rat them out because everyone including the commissioner already new about it, it was not a secret.

I think a decision to stop the Pats camera guy was made well before the game started, I think Jet security was given a heads up to watch for this and if they caught some one to confiscate the film. this is not the type of decision a rookie head coach makes, I have always believed that Tannenbaum gave the order, it may have been discussed before hand between Mangini, Mr T and Woody.

Deep down I think that Mangini at somepoint broke the coaches code, probably multiple times, but I am not sure. The Pats and Mangini are so tight lipped it is hard to tell what the hell happened.

Gunnails, bravo, that was a very even handed assessment of the Spygate saga from a Jets fan! I've TRIED (harder then I should have) to have a logical discussion with some Jet fans before about certain misinformation that was associated with that drama. And they never wanted to listen to an opposing POV.

I know this is off topic, I just wanted to say I blame Roger Goodell for about the same lions share of that whole mess, as i do Belicheck for ignoring the memo. I really believe Goodell caved to NY media pressure to over punish the Patriots for a rules transgression. Then destroying the tapes made the whole thing stink even worse. Causing the whole firestorm. I'll never forgive him for that. He fed an already vindictive media (remember the NY media already hated Belicheck for leaving the Jets at the alter back in the day. Instead jumping ship to a division rival. You don't think they were waiting for an oppertunity to get back at him for that?) and let speculation run wild.

But I digress...:)

More on topic, if the Jets do indeed get Taylor, I will be more disappointed with that then any other move. For the simple reason that I think he helps them tangibly on the field ( But not like in his prime). But more importantly, intangibly in the locker room as a veteran leader, that can help the new knuckleheads fly right. Another solid pickup by our rival if true.....:mad:

I find your summary to be quite on point........good job - fair and balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes