PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Favre says Thompson begged him not to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Favre Says Thompson Begged Him Not To Return

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/27/favre-says-thompson-begged-him-not-to-return/

i used to like favre but all his whining to the media and 'woe is me' drama is really annoying and i least expected from him.

This is exactly why I hate Favre. All his defenders blame the media for loving him so much, but he's the one who pours gas in the fire pit. How many times has he cried now? How many times is he going to "consider" retirement? It's pathetic really, it's even more pathetic ESPN has a ""Favre" section on their ticker. ESPN licks his nuts and he eats it all right up.

Wow. Having read that, I just have to say: I now think Brett Favre is a complete A-HOLE JERK. I have been "annoyed" by this whole thing until now, but at this point I'm totally offended by him. That kind of discolsure is unacceptable, to an almost immoral degree. What an M-er-F-er.

What really astounds me is that there STILL hasn't been a widespread backlash against him. What's it going to take? I'm just counting down the days until Scoop Jackson writes some rambling, incoherent article about how he's not being torn down because he's white. Then the whole saga will have officially jumped the shark.

Brett Favre is one of those guys who has told so many lies and made up so many stories that he thinks they are the truth. He's spent so much time and effort playing the PR game to try to create his phony image, he now believes it is reality.

There is not a chance that Thompson would ever say anything like that to Favre. You can bet the entire Packer organization knows that anything said to Favre will end up in Peter Kings or Mort's column - as will things Favre wishes they said because he thinks it makes him look better.

Well cut him some slack, the league he plays in is called the National Favre League, right?
What? The F doesn't stand for Favre? He's not bigger than the game? Wow, wouldn't think that just by listening to him...

favre is my second favorite qb in the league, and the packers are just being Dikcs, and I hope their season ends up in the sh*tter.

favre is my second favorite qb in the league, and the packers are just being Dikcs, and I hope their season ends up in the sh*tter.

I disagree. Favre has been jerking the Pack around for years now with his "will-I-or-won't-I" routine, and I don't blame them for taking their stance. He signed a contract that still has three years left, and they're holding him to it. I see nothing wrong with them saying, "No, we are not going to grant you an outright release."

Part of Brett's problem is the cadre of enablers he surrounds himself with who tell him what he wants to hear. And they do so because they all have a vested interest in his playing - Bus so he gets his $360K commission and Deanna and the good folks in Kiln so they get a break from living with him FT... Give me 10 minures with him and he'd retire. I'd show him that tape of his heartfelt retirement where he publicly stated he could not do the mental prep necessary to play like a QB who leads a team to the playoffs EVER AGAIN. ONCE WAS ENOUGH. I'd loop it with his highlights from 2005-2006 with highlights from his Dallas and NY matchups this season.

He used to tell the story of how for most of his career he slept through film study - had no idea what it was they were studying. McCarthy only stuck with him past 2006, when he sucked and was off the cap books, because he said he could do it and would do it for the first time in his career. But it isn't fun and it ruined the joy of the gunslinger's game for him even though it helped his team win for a change. And it mentally drained him. And that was coming off a full off season and an incredibly weak schedule where the only tough teams in the NFC he faced made an ass of him. So he quit. But now GB should stick with him and screw the future because this month he's in revisionist mode and thinks that's what he wants to do again. And he'll feel that way until the losses and picks pile up - which he will publicly blame on insufficient support from management and his teamates. Deja vu all over again. To the point at least half the fan base in GB and 75% of the NFL fan base just wants him to go away.

Thompson and McCarthy's legacies are debatable either way. They appeared to have a good rebuild and turnaround going on before this crap started. Favre has totally demolished his own legacy. He never have a flying F about "The Packers". His ego and and a foolish fan base and fauning media have convinced him over the last decade that he is the franchise. Lombardi must be rolling in his grave. The Packers were a storied franchise long before Brett Favre came along. Drew Bledsoe and Bill Parcell's and a punt returner having a career day did more for the Pack in the last 17 seasons than Brett ever did. He's been a self-absorbed prick his entire life, personally and professionally, and he's just now gotten around to adding publicly to the list.

He may ruin lots of careers in the final analysis, including his own. I honestly believe that he is a dinosaur and that franchise cannot build any sort of future until they can put Farve and the past behind them. I think Thompson and McCarthy know this and I think they were also trying to protect his legacy from this self destruction that if Brett gets his way as he always has will be all their undoing.

Judging by some of the comments on the PFT story, it seems some Packers fans are sick of Favre's crap.

Most notably:
Old School says:
July 27th, 2008 at 4:07 pm

For months/years this worthless piece of **** couldn’t make up his mind. Now that the Packers have set a course for the future, ******* Jones suddenly knows what he wants? He can’t handle not being the one and only.

The state of Wisconsin is rapidly going from regretfully wishing him well in whatever he chooses to do to telling him he can kiss our collective asses, and we can’t wait for the first sack that leves him goofier than he already is.

This is exactly the kind of crap that the Cubs went through with Sam Me Sosa.

I was a Packer fan long before Farve, and will be one long after his name has been forgotten.

Go Packers.

Part of Brett's problem is the cadre of enablers he surrounds himself with who tell him what he wants to hear. And they do so because they all have a vested interest in his playing - Bus so he gets his $360K commission and Deanna and the good folks in Kiln so they get a break from living with him FT... Give me 10 minures with him and he'd retire. I'd show him that tape of his heartfelt retirement where he publicly stated he could not do the mental prep necessary to play like a QB who leads a team to the playoffs EVER AGAIN. ONCE WAS ENOUGH. I'd loop it with his highlights from 2005-2006 with highlights from his Dallas and NY matchups this season.

He used to tell the story of how for most of his career he slept through film study - had no idea what it was they were studying. McCarthy only stuck with him past 2006, when he sucked and was off the cap books, because he said he could do it and would do it for the first time in his career. But it isn't fun and it ruined the joy of the gunslinger's game for him even though it helped his team win for a change. And it mentally drained him. And that was coming off a full off season and an incredibly weak schedule where the only tough teams in the NFC he faced made an ass of him. So he quit. But now GB should stick with him and screw the future because this month he's in revisionist mode and thinks that's what he wants to do again. And he'll feel that way until the losses and picks pile up - which he will publicly blame on insufficient support from management and his teamates. Deja vu all over again. To the point at least half the fan base in GB and 75% of the NFL fan base just wants him to go away.

Thompson and McCarthy's legacies are debatable either way. They appeared to have a good rebuild and turnaround going on before this crap started. Favre has totally demolished his own legacy. He never have a flying F about "The Packers". His ego and and a foolish fan base and fauning media have convinced him over the last decade that he is the franchise. Lombardi must be rolling in his grave. The Packers were a storied franchise long before Brett Favre came along. Drew Bledsoe and Bill Parcell's and a punt returner having a career day did more for the Pack in the last 17 seasons than Brett ever did. He's been a self-absorbed prick his entire life, personally and professionally, and he's just now gotten around to adding publicly to the list.

He may ruin lots of careers in the final analysis, including his own. I honestly believe that he is a dinosaur and that franchise cannot build any sort of future until they can put Farve and the past behind them. I think Thompson and McCarthy know this and I think they were also trying to protect his legacy from this self destruction that if Brett gets his way as he always has will be all their undoing.

Perfectly stated. Great post.

“Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, ‘You’re so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this,” Favre said. “They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so.”

Sounds like the wife doesn't want him around. Can't really blame her, but he really needs to tell her and rest of the ******s in MS to STFU.

I can't blame Packers fans. I think people forget that this "retirement" saga has been going on since 2002!!! Careers have come and gone since then.

Add the late decision for 2007 and how can anyone blame them. What happens if this goes on?

He retires in 2 years and the QB 2005 1st rounder leaves at the same time.

You and I rarely agree.......but well done here......couldn't have said it any better....Favre is an absolute EMBARRASSMENT and has absolutely tarnished whatever "Legacy" he had in Lambeau......I know that this guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but someone ought to tell this guy to knock this sh## off.......what a d-bag.........If I were the pack, I would simply say firstly "F' off God-dell.....let us handle our business.....and secondly, Brett is more than welcome to come back to the team.....we accept his reinstatement. That having been said, Aaron Rodgers is our starting QB.....Brett will be competing with Brian Braum and Matt Lynch (Lynch? LSU QB) for the backup positions........next question!

F' Favra.......F' Favra!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes